1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2011 2:24 AM by DarrylBurke RSS

New JavaFX 2.0 forum

DarrylBurke
      A standard response to a JavaScript question on a Java forum is to point out that Java and JavaScript are about as similar as ham and hamster. The same could be said of JavaFX 1 (1.1 / 1.2 / 1.3) and JavaFX 2.0. With all JavaFX questions in a common forum, it will be sometimes difficult to fathom which version the problem pertains to.

I suggest introducing a new section for JavaFX 2.0.

db
        • 1. Re: New JavaFX 2.0 forum
          aidreamer
          There may be some confusion for a little while. But since JavaFX Script has been deprecated as an experimental API and Visage seems to have its [url http://groups.google.com/group/visage-users]own forum, having an extra forum for JavaFX script might quickly become redundant.
          • 2. Re: New JavaFX 2.0 forum
            DarrylBurke
            aidreamer wrote:
            There may be some confusion for a little while. But since JavaFX Script has been deprecated as an experimental API and Visage seems to have its [url http://groups.google.com/group/visage-users]own forum, having an extra forum for JavaFX script might quickly become redundant.
            I agree. But splitting the JavaFX 2.0 into a separate forum right from the start would give us a 2.0 forum uncluttered with JavaFX Script questions -- which would make a forum search more likely to return relevant results.

db
            • 3. Re: New JavaFX 2.0 forum
              Narayan
              Darryl Burke wrote:
              aidreamer wrote:
              I agree. But splitting the JavaFX 2.0 into a separate forum right from the start would give us a 2.0 forum uncluttered with JavaFX Script questions -- which would make a forum search more likely to return relevant results.

db Making new JavaFX 2.0 forum is good idea. It will really make the forum more relevant as DB said.
              Google and many search engines would also feel easy to find the content of specific javafx.

My views for making seperate forums,

As Javafx 1.3 is deprecated but still it's not a bad script. Many programmer are in love with this script and it's easy too. There are some guys who still likes to work on javafx 1.3 for making application . So I think we can make the developer easier to post their problems in their specific forum section.But later Visage will overcome these conflicts.

Thanks.
              Narayan
              • 4. Re: New JavaFX 2.0 forum
                I must agree, a separate forum does make things easier to find.
                • 5. Re: New JavaFX 2.0 forum
                  I agree but if your going to slit the forum what about the beta vs release
                  • 6. Re: New JavaFX 2.0 forum
                    Separate forum for JavaFX 2.0 is good idea, one forum for beta and release would be fine.
                    • 7. Re: New JavaFX 2.0 forum
                      Kleopatra
                      don't think it necessary - fx script questions will die out soon. What I would like to have, though, is to move the forum under the desktop section - this way I could easily follow both Swing and fx

Cheers
                      Jeanette
                      • 8. Re: New JavaFX 2.0 forum
                        DarrylBurke
                        Kleopatra wrote:
                        What I would like to have, though, is to move the forum under the desktop section
                        Ah, but JavaFX 1.x isn't limited to desktop applications, and there's still a possibility (I wouldn't say probability) of a later 2.0 release for mobile devices and TV.

db
                        • 9. Re: New JavaFX 2.0 forum
                          Hi,

If the separated forum won the poll, when is it going to be opened?
                          • 10. Re: New JavaFX 2.0 forum
                            JonathanGiles
                            I was asked internally whether I thought we should have a separate forum, and it was my inclination that one wasn't necessary. I feel that often forums split into such small subgroups that it becomes harder to track discussion than it is worth.

Unless there is a resounding desire for a split, I would be inclined to leave as-is. The forum works well, people are free to ask questions, and there is sufficient clarity around the fact that this is the 'one true' JavaFX forum. It is monitored by Oracle (myself included, obviously), and people are mostly kind and helpful (although I'd love to see things improve more in this area).

-- Jonathan
                            • 11. Re: New JavaFX 2.0 forum
                              The forum works well, people are free to ask questions
                              But it's hard to navigate looking for questions to answer, for example, I'm working with javafx 2 and moments ago I tried to look through unanswered questions to see which ones could I answer but was hard to discern which ones were about the script and which ones were about the API 2.0 (and therefore the ones I could usefully look through).

I think eventually people will homogenize into the newest/non-deprecated API, but there's still many threads about the previous.

Thanks anyway...
                              • 12. Re: New JavaFX 2.0 forum
                                I was asked internally whether I thought we should have a separate forum, and it was my inclination that one wasn't necessary. I feel that often forums split into such small subgroups that it > > becomes harder to track discussion than it is worth.

Unless there is a resounding desire for a split, I would be inclined to leave as-is. The forum works well, people are free to ask questions, and there is sufficient clarity around the fact that this is > the 'one true' JavaFX forum. It is monitored by Oracle (myself included, obviously), and people are mostly kind and helpful (although I'd love to see things improve more in this area).

-- Jonathan
                                In addition to what Jonathan mentions, the fact is that people who come to the forums to ask questions typically don't look at the categories. Prior to the JavaFX Forums consolidation, the forum "JavaFX General" hosted the bulk of the activity (85% to 90%), and the majority of questions should have been posted in other more specific forums such as "JavaFX Scenegraph" and such.

However, looking at these threads, it looks like people are not complaining about consolidating the different functional blocks (e.g. graphics, UI Controls, Swing integration, WebView, etc.) into one forum, and that instead the request is to have separate forums for JavaFX 1.x and another one for JavaFX 2.0 (and above). That should be easy to do

I'll run a poll to confirm that this is what most people want

Nicolas Lorain
                                JavaFX Product Management
                                • 13. Re: New JavaFX 2.0 forum
                                  Hi,

Isn't it the poll that was already running?
                                  • 14. Re: New JavaFX 2.0 forum
                                    Kleopatra
                                    talizmelf wrote:
                                    Hi,

Isn't it the poll that was already running?
                                    looks like company rules - snoracle needs everything "official" (evil grin ; ---- ))))

@Nicolas: you cant you be serious ... developers have other things to do than repeating stuff they already did

Cheers
                                    Jeanette
                                    1 2 Previous Next