1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2011 1:00 AM by Niall Litchfield RSS

performance tuning tool

oraclebooks
      Hi,

need your suggestion for any third party performance tuning tool.

regards,
        • 1. Re: performance tuning tool
          Helios-GunesEROL
          Hi

What is DB version? Why do you need 3th party tool? Did you try to use OEM?

Please use google and search mechanisim, you can find many good article about it

Regard
          Helios
          • 2. Re: performance tuning tool
            oraclebooks
            Dear helio

thanks for your reply, apprciated..

the fact is that we are running 9.2.0.8 database.
            and we are facing issues, if it would be 10g i would have used 10g.

Thanks again.
            • 3. Re: performance tuning tool
              sybrand_b
              Oracle 9i comes with OEM too, and it does include a performance tuning tool.

Or you may want to invest $$ on Quest Spotlight? Your mileage may vary.

---------
              Sybrand Bakker
              Senior Oracle DBA
              • 4. Re: performance tuning tool
                oraclebooks
                Dear Sybrand

Thanks for your reply.
                Ya I did try with 9i oem, but it is not helping me much.

Our company is ready to spent $$.
                If you recommend spotlight i shall suggest it to my company.

Your suggestion are always much valuable to me....

regards,
                • 5. Re: performance tuning tool
                  Lubiez Jean-Valentin
                  Hello,

You may try STATSPACK it's free and easy to install.

You'll find much more details on STATSPACK on the Note of My Oracle Support below:
                  Systemwide Tuning using STATSPACK Reports [ID 228913.1]
                  And the following link:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96533/statspac.htm#PFGRF019

Hope this help.
                  Best regards,
                  Jean-Valentin
                  • 6. Re: performance tuning tool
                    Billy~Verreynne
                    oraclebooks wrote:

need your suggestion for any third party performance tuning tool.
                    Your local toy store. Ask for a Harry Potter Magic Wand.

Then wave this wand when there are performance problems. It will be as effective as using a "+performance tuning tool+".

And of course I am sarcastic as a "+performance tuning tool+" is a contradiction.

It is silly to think that if you have a performance problem, all you need to do is to fire up a "+performance tuning tool+" - and that this tool will magically detect and fix the performance problem. Just like Harry Potter waving a magic wand...

Tools can be used to detect potential performance problems. Tools can be used to analyse problems. Tools can be used to advise on how to address performance problems.

But thinking that there is a 3rd party a "+performance tuning tool+" that can solve your performance problems is like expecting that Hogwarts is a real school.

And the saddest of all is that performance and security should be considerations in every architectural and design decision made. In every line of code written.

Performance and security are not something that gets looked at and done after the system has been designed and build. Still, many want to do exactly that and then have a magical "+performance tuning tool+" to help with making bad designs and poorly written code, run fast.
                    • 7. Re: performance tuning tool
                      Helios-GunesEROL
                      Hi Billy;

Nice post smile

Regard
                      Helios
                      • 8. Re: performance tuning tool
                        oraclebooks
                        Nice post..

I should rewrite as "performance monitoring tool"

regards,
                        • 9. Re: performance tuning tool
                          Billy~Verreynne
                          The problem is that people tend to expect a performance tool to tell them:
                          X is causing a performance problem. Fix X by setting parameter Y to 123.

They then set that parameter and Bob is your uncle (or the leader of the Church of the Subgenius). {noformat};-){noformat}

Performance problems are not that simplistic. Heck, computer systems are not that simple either. I cannot recall that I ever faced a performance problem that was simply addressed by throwing a lever, pushing a configuration button, or turning a parameter knob.

And to address this is exactly not that complex - simply make performance (and security and robustness) part of your natural software engineering instincts. When looking at a design decision or piece of code, ask:
                          - is this robust and threadsafe?
                          - does this open a hole in security?
                          - does this achieve the goal/requirement with minimal effort?

The more you do up front in terms of design, thinking issues through, sticking to basics and fundamentals, the less issues you will face in production. And the fewer the really serious issues will be.

It is very much a programmer/developer culture issue to me.

So before a company spends big bucks on tools for addressing performance related issues - it should rather first look at the culture that exists in its software engineering departments.
                          • 10. Re: performance tuning tool
                            user12188327
                            Hi,

You can go for statspack and accordingly analyze and rebuild index of expensive tables.
                            • 11. Re: performance tuning tool
                              Billy~Verreynne
                              Who says that statspack actually recognises/highlights the actual performance issue? Who says it is so-called expensive indexes?

Analysing performance goes beyond looking at what statspack or other tools list and report on - as each of these tools are limited in some or other way.

The best analytical machine is that grey matter between your ears that you seeming discard as being useful. The standard Mk.1 Brain can recognise patterns and intuitively see relationships and associations that a computer tool cannot.

The single biggest problem in AI development is the complexity of something that we take granted - common sense.

Yet, there seems to be very little common sense around when it comes to dealing with software engineering issues like dealing with performance and tuning...
                              • 12. Re: performance tuning tool
                                Niall Litchfield
                                Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
                                Who says that statspack actually recognises/highlights the actual performance issue? Who says it is so-called expensive indexes?
                                I say that it doesn't - at least if the problem is indexes that should be rebuilt on expensive tables statspack cannot possibly tell you that. In fact I am not aware of a tool that can tell you that. There are indexes that need periodically to be at least coalesced but they don't show up any differently to indexes that are just fine and dandy. As Billy eloquently describes, most performance problems turn out to be design or application related (though not all) and diagnosing them correctly requires

1) collecting properly scoped diagnostic data - statspack and AWR both have limitations, sometimes severe, in this regard
                                2) understanding the application somewhat and
                                3) application of common sense to items 2 and 1.

Of course many people don't have items 1 and 2 available to them and so they flounder somewhat in step 3. There are tools that help with item 1 - and unlike some I include both AWR and Statspack in the list. Item 2 often requires that old fashioned technical tool called "talking to the right people". Item 3 usually turns out to require education and experience.

So by all means look for a tool - I'd shortlist (for 9i and in no order)

statspack
                                quest spotlight
                                em
                                Tanel Poder's session_snapper (though it can hang on 9i).
                                extended sql trace + tkprof

Make sure that you know what your goal is, how the tool you choose is going to aid in collecting the right data and of course who the correct people to talk to for item 2 are.

Niall Litchfield
                                http://www.orawin.info/
                                • 13. Re: performance tuning tool
                                  jgarry
                                  I'd add OS tools too, perhaps, if I knew which OS.
                                  • 14. Re: performance tuning tool
                                    jgarry
                                    Yet, there seems to be very little common sense around when it comes to dealing with software engineering issues like dealing with performance and tuning...
                                    Totally agree with all you've been saying, but I'd add that if nothing at all has been looked at rationally, sometimes a tool will hit on the low hanging fruit. Whether that tool is software or an "expert," for that matter. I was surprised at how often I saw this in the old days, and suspect it is common even today, certainly judging from some posts we've seen.
                                    1 2 Previous Next