9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2011 11:00 AM by Ml Starkey-Oracle RSS

Solaris 8: Multiple primary interfaces connected to the same network

I have a machine with Solaris 8, and it has multiple interfaces that are connected to the same network which means they all have metric 0 (1 hop) to the default gateway.

assume:

e1000g0: 192.168.30.70
      e1000g2: 192.168.30.72
      e1000g4: 192.168.30.74
      e1000g5: 192.168.30.76
      gateway: 192.168.30.65 (Cisco Router)

However, it seems like despite the fact that they have a direct connection, they seem to be using e1000g0 to access the 192.168.30.0 network to get to the default gateway and then to anywhere else.

When I send a ping to say, 192.168.30.74 (IP of e1000g4) and capture packets on e1000g0, I see the "echo reply" messages going out of it as opposed to e1000g4 even though e1000g4 is the one receiving the "echo request". This should not happen and these should be completely independent as they should all be advertising a 1 hop to that network

The outputs from netstat -rn and ifconfig -a are shown in the picture on the link below

[http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/7308/ifconfignetstathiddenip.jpg]

This gets even more confusing when I go into the Cisco router and run the command: "show mac address-table" where only the MAC address of e1000g0 is shown for the switch port it's connected to, but not for the other interfaces which are connected to the switch. Yes, all ports are active (no shut) and are pingable.

Also, the odd thing is that ALL of these individual MACs show up in the router ARP table when the machine comes up, however after sending a ping to one of them, after a certain expiry or whatever period, the MACs disappear from the router ARP table and only the MAC for e1000g0 shows up. The arp table of the solaris machine however shows all the relevant MACs of each port of the router that it's physically connected to (This is actually a Cisco Switch with the advanced IP services imagine and L3 routing turned on)

Before anyone asks: The setting local-mac-address? setting does NOT exist in my machine and it never has, but it used to work fine. Also, from the ifconfig command, once can tell that all the MAC addresses are fine.

I need to somehow assign all these interfaces equal priority and make them understand that they're physically connected to the 192.168.30.0 network and there's no need to go through e1000g0 to get to it.

This is causing a lot of problems as eventually all traffic will end up going through the e1000g0 interface and that will become a bottle neck.

Please help Thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: Solaris 8: Multiple primary interfaces connected to the same network
          rukbat
          Cross-posted (and responses received) to at least one other non-Oracle forum site:
          http://tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1650733

It's poor forum etiquette to "forget" to mention you cross-post.
          Why would anyone waste their time duplicating what you've already learned?
          If the cross-post is mentioned, including a link(s) then everyone can learn about a topic.
          • 2. Re: Solaris 8: Multiple primary interfaces connected to the same network
            Sorry about that. Yes I have cross-posted in several other forums, but have not recd. anything conclusive or particularly helpful. I would spend the time in posting the solution on all forums once I find the solution. In the meantime, does anyone ever answer anything on the Oracle forums? I've never had any question ever answered here :(
            • 3. Re: Solaris 8: Multiple primary interfaces connected to the same network
              rukbat
              Found another cross, with responses:
              http://www.unix.com/solaris/161016-solaris-8-multiple-primary-interfaces-connected-same-network.html
              • 4. Re: Solaris 8: Multiple primary interfaces connected to the same network
                Yes, but like I said, I am desperate to find a solution and the ONE place where I should be finding solutions to Solaris problems is where I'm only getting taunts of cross-posting but not any attempt to find a solution. If any of the other places had helped, I wouldn't be cross-posting. Like I said, none of the responses anywhere else has helped so far but at least people are trying. I should've been able to get the most help on this forums, but alas, it never happens :(
                • 5. Re: Solaris 8: Multiple primary interfaces connected to the same network
                  bobthesungeek76036
                  You need to find a copy of SunTrunk 1.3 software and configure it. Plain and simple, what you want to do will not work w/o it. The route table is simply that, a table. When it looks for a route it starts at the top of the table and goes down until if finds a match. e1000g0 will always be the first match. That's how the protocol works. No matter what interface the packet comes in, the return packet will honor the route table. You might try setting all interfaces to "deprecated" but that might not have good results...
                  • 6. Re: Solaris 8: Multiple primary interfaces connected to the same network
                    Ok thanks. That was a useful response.

I did think about the trunking software that is claimed to be available for Solaris 8, but it's only available if you've got paid support contract. Oracle came and ruined everything re: Sun support which is so expensive now.

The other confusion is, we never had that OR needed to configure trunking/link aggregation on this machine, so why now?

Lastly, by your explanation, this should be expected and is "normal" behaviour, which would mean that this machine was always doing this and I only just noticed it this time? I thought if you turn off ipv4 forwarding and router function in the machine, it's every interface for itself. But it's not doing that :(

So then the question is, Can I force it? I've tried a bunch of things by manipulating the tables and it seems to mess things up where nothing is getting through or it now shifts all the traffic to some other port make the problem no different

Is there a way to give equal weight to all interfaces for the traffic to go directly through them that is originating at those ports?
                    • 7. Re: Solaris 8: Multiple primary interfaces connected to the same network
                      Ml Starkey-Oracle
                      I'm not sure if you are saying you do or do not have a support contract. Sun Trunking 1.3 is free for Solaris 10, if you can upgrade.

Solaris does destination based routing, not source or policy based routing, as you have been informed. Oracle didn't ruin that, it has always been that way.
                      • 8. Re: Solaris 8: Multiple primary interfaces connected to the same network
                        I don't know how you took two sentences, took them apart, joined with each other and completely missed the point +(I put a smiley here but I guess oracle doesn't allow that either?)+

I don't have support contract. Sun used to provide a LOAD of software for free without having to have a support contract or something even signing on. Oracle changed that and now as far as I know and I can't download the trunking software anymore since I need to enter a customer/contract number which i didn't need to prior to Oracle.

And yes, I understand the way routing works in Solaris or otherwise, wasn't blaming Oracle for that, was blaming them for taking all the free software away.
                        • 9. Re: Solaris 8: Multiple primary interfaces connected to the same network
                          Ml Starkey-Oracle
                          Blame them all you want, but Oracle is making money where Sun did not. Oracle gives away very little, Sun gave away Solaris 10. The conclusion should be obvious.