This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 3:16 PM by Gary Graham RSS

sql developer database difference

866716 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I want to save the diff report that I have got comparing two schemas to an excel report.
Can anybody tell me how I can do this?

And also any body know how views and packages are compared between two schemas.

I see the database difference options generates an alter script for views ,functions,packages and procedures.

When I do a textual comparison I don't see any difference.

I am confused about on what parameters the comparison is done.

please help me.
  • 1. Re: sql developer database difference
    JoyceScapicchio Journeyer
    You cannot currently save the diff report, but I like the idea. I encourage you to add this to the Feature Requests at the SQL Developer Exchange. This not only makes sure we don't forget, but also gives other users a chance to add their vote for the feature and provides a forum for you (the user base) to brainstorm on how you prefer it to work.

Currently, Diff creates a hash based on selecting text from all_source. If the hash is different between the source and destination, they are considered different.

THE FOLLOWING IS INTENDED TO OUTLINE OUR GENERAL PRODUCT DIRECTION. IT IS INTENDED FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY, AND MAY NOT BE INCORPORATED INTO ANY CONTRACT. IT IS NOT A COMMITMENT TO DELIVER ANY MATERIAL, CODE, OR FUNCTIONALITY, AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON IN MAKING PURCHASING DECISION. THE DEVELOPMENT, RELEASE, AND TIMING OF ANY FEATURES OR FUNCTIONALITY DESCRIBED FOR ORACLE'S PRODUCTS REMAINS AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF ORACLE.

We are planning enhancements to the diff tool, including the area of source comparison and generation. These enhancements will make comparisons more reliable and it will be easier to see the differences between source and destination objects.
    Joyce Scapicchio
    Development for SQLDeveloper

Edited by: Joyce Scapicchio on Jun 14, 2011 12:50 PM

Edited by: Joyce Scapicchio on Jun 14, 2011 12:51 PM
  • 2. Re: sql developer database difference
    991152 Newbie
    Hi

Thank you for your answer, it was helpful in terms of identifying the problem with inability to output the reports but as the post is dated in 2011, could you pelase advise have the implementation been made to the tool and is there a functionality now to save the differences report?
    I have been trying to run and execute the differences report but to no avail. Please advise or point me out to the guide where I could read through the steps on how to do it had this been implemented over the years?
    Magda

Edited by: 988149 on Feb 14, 2013 8:06 AM
  • 3. Re: sql developer database difference
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Magda,

Between the original post (June 2011 - presumably refers to the 3.0 release) and the latest production release (3.2.20.09.87), dozens of Diff Report improvements and bug fixes have occurred. Not sure how many visible changes, if any, have been made to the wizard and report UIs in that interval. There is still no functionality to save a Diff Report as represented in the UI to a file format such as Excel or XML. The only Save As capability is, as the original poster noted,
    database difference options generates an alter script
    You can generate and save the alter script via the green SQL icon on the left side of the Diff Report toolbar (Generate SQL).

The Diff wizard affords the ability to select which source objects and object types are included, as well as options for controlling how the diff processing and alter script generation occurs. Diff wizard includes a Help button in the lower left corner.

I see at least one feature request on the SQL Developer Exchange for this:
    https://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=43135:7:34488844621256::NO:RP,7:P7_ID:31901

Feel free to add your vote.

Regards,
    Gary

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points