1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 10, 2011 11:06 AM by 796440 RSS

Interfaces mechanism

Hi,

I hope this is the correct place for this question.

I wonder whether there is information available regarding how the interface mechanism in Java works, with regard to
      virtual tables, virtual methods, class descriptors, etc. That is, how is iterfaces realised in the runtime system?

Anyone who as any input or links?

If so, really appreciated!
        • 1. Re: Interfaces mechanism
          865134 wrote:
          Hi,

I hope this is the correct place for this question.

I wonder whether there is information available regarding how the interface mechanism in Java works, with regard to
          virtual tables, virtual methods, class descriptors, etc. That is, how is iterfaces realised in the runtime system?
          To the extent that it's specified, it will be covered in the JVM spec: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jvms/second_edition/html/VMSpecTOC.doc.html. Note, however, that a lot of details are likely going to be left up to the implementation. The spec is more about defining behavior than implementation details.

If you want to see an actual implementation, you can download the source code for the Oracle (nee Sun) JVM from somehwere on the same site that provides the JDK download, but I don't have a link handy.