10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2011 9:00 AM by Stephen Phillips RSS

Peopletools upgrade fails to start

Nicolas.Gasparotto
      Hello,

Trying to upgrade the Peopletools (to 8.51.10) the latest PSOVM FSCM FP1 Peopletools 8.51.07, I can't start the setup :
      [psadm1@psovmfscmfp1 Disk1]$ export DISPLAY=0.0  <-- it is indicated in the Peopletools 8.51 patch 10 document
      [psadm1@psovmfscmfp1 Disk1]$ ./setup.sh -is:tempdir /tmp
      Setting temporary directory /tmp/IA.2145
      Executing setup.linux   -is:tempdir /tmp -DPS_UMASK=0022
      Preparing to install...
      Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
      Unpacking the JRE...
      Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
      Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

Launching installer...

Invocation of this Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit. (LAX)

Stack Trace:
      java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /tmp/IA.2145/install.dir.2155/Linux/resource/jre/lib/amd64/xawt/libmawt.so: libXext.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
              at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
              at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
              at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
              at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Unknown Source)
              at java.lang.System.load(Unknown Source)
              at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
              at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
              at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
              at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
              at sun.security.action.LoadLibraryAction.run(Unknown Source)
              at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
              at sun.awt.NativeLibLoader.loadLibraries(Unknown Source)
              at sun.awt.DebugHelper.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.Component.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
              at com.zerog.ia.installer.util.BidiUtilImpl.setDefaultLocale(DashoA10*..)
              at ZeroGbd.a(DashoA10*..)
              at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.s(DashoA10*..)
              at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.b(DashoA10*..)
              at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.a(DashoA10*..)
              at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.main(DashoA10*..)
              at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
              at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
              at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
              at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
              at com.zerog.lax.LAX.launch(DashoA10*..)
              at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA10*..)
      This Application has Unexpectedly Quit: Invocation of this Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit. (LAX)
      [psadm1@psovmfscmfp1 Disk1]$
      If I do not set DISPLAY, then it is working fine...

Nicolas.
        • 1. Re: Peopletools upgrade fails to start
          This most likely because libXext and any other AWT dependencies are not delivered with the VM template.

If you could humour me with a couple of answers that would be great.
          1. Running the installation without DISPLAY set resolves the problem. Do any subsequent problems arise after running the installation?
          2. Do you know if the instruction to set DISPLAY was present in earlier Tools patches? (I know that I would ideally know this but I don't install Tools patches very frequently)

Thanks

mj
          • 2. Re: Peopletools upgrade fails to start
            Nicolas.Gasparotto
            Hello Mark,

Thank you for coming back on this, this is my first attempt to patch the Peopletools of a Peoplesoft OVM template. I thought the VM templates were designed to learn also Peopletools upgrade, and started an upgrade by such error is rather, hmmm, annoying.
            This most likely because libXext and any other AWT dependencies are not delivered with the VM template.
            Yes I know, but since I did not figure out which RPM(s) was(were) missing I posted the thread over here. I tested a couple, but so far no luck.
            1. Running the installation without DISPLAY set resolves the problem. Do any subsequent problems arise after running the installation?
            Not that I know, it seems that everything is working fine.
            2. Do you know if the instruction to set DISPLAY was present in earlier Tools patches? (I know that I would ideally know this but I don't install Tools patches very frequently)
            As far as I know, yes, it has alsways been there, at least in Peopletools 8.5x.
            From the Peopletools patch 8.50.01 installation document we can even read the following : "+With PeopleTools 8.50 and later installations, you must set this variable every time you use the InstallAnywhere GUI installer or your installation may hang+".

Nicolas.

Edited by: N Gasparotto on Jun 15, 2011 9:42 AM
            • 3. Re: Peopletools upgrade fails to start
              Nicolas.Gasparotto
              Mark,

Ok, I think I found out the required RPMs. After installing the following RPMs the other day, it was not working :
              rpm -Uvh xorg-x11-filesystem-7.1-2.fc6.noarch.rpm
              rpm -Uvh libXau-1.0.1-3.1.x86_64.rpm
              rpm -Uvh libXdmcp-1.0.1-2.1.x86_64.rpm
              rpm -Uvh libX11-1.0.3-9.el5.x86_64.rpm
              rpm -Uvh libXext-1.0.1-2.1.x86_64.rpm
              I just added the following ones, and now the Peopletools installation setup.sh is working as expected (with DISPLAY set) :
              [root@psovmfscmfp1 PeopleTools8.51.10]# rpm -Uvh xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-6.8.2-1.EL.33.0.1.x86_64.rpm
              warning: xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-6.8.2-1.EL.33.0.1.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID b38a8516
              Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
                 1:xorg-x11-deprecated-lib########################################### [100%]
              [root@psovmfscmfp1 PeopleTools8.51.10]# rpm -Uvh xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-6.8.2-1.EL.33.0.1.i386.rpm
              warning: xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-6.8.2-1.EL.33.0.1.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID b38a8516
                 1:xorg-x11-deprecated-lib########################################### [100%]
              [root@psovmfscmfp1 PeopleTools8.51.10]# rpm -Uvh libXtst-1.0.1-3.1.x86_64.rpm
                 1:libXtst                ########################################### [100%]
              [root@psovmfscmfp1 PeopleTools8.51.10]# rpm -Uvh libXi-1.0.1-3.1.x86_64.rpm
                 1:libXi                  ########################################### [100%]
              [root@psovmfscmfp1 PeopleTools8.51.10]#
              [root@psovmfscmfp1 PeopleTools8.51.10]# su - psadm1
              [psadm1@psovmfscmfp1 ~]$ cd /nfs/software/PeopleSoftCD/PeopleTools/PT8.51/PeopleTools8.51.10/cd85110/Disk1
              [psadm1@psovmfscmfp1 Disk1]$ export DISPLAY=0.0
              [psadm1@psovmfscmfp1 Disk1]$ ./setup.sh -is:tempdir /tmp
              Setting temporary directory /tmp/IA.2253
              Executing setup.linux   -is:tempdir /tmp -DPS_UMASK=0022
              Preparing to install...
              Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
              Unpacking the JRE...

Launching installer...

Preparing CONSOLE Mode Installation...

===============================================================================
              PeopleTools                                      (created with InstallAnywhere)
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

===============================================================================
              Welcome
              -------

InstallAnywhere will guide you through the installation of PeopleTools 8.51.10.

PRESS <ENTER> TO CONTINUE:
              Nicolas.
              • 4. Re: Peopletools upgrade fails to start
                I am sorry that you find this annoying. I cannot respond comprhensively to your frustration on this Forum. All I can do is apologise for the continued challenges you encounter when using the templates. I think you're aware that we're working very hard to address the issues that you have reported in the past.

I followed up on the DISPLAY environment variable issue. Here is the reponse I received (verbatim):

Looks like the user is applying all 8.49 install instructions. We have moved to InstallAnywhere since 8.50. So most of the commands are not valid e.g. export DISPLAY, -is:TEMPDIR..etc.
                You will find the installer command on this wiki (internal link), which is followed post 8.50
                I will also check the patch doc, incase its pointing to wrong command, we will repost the same.

As noted above the developer will take a look at the documentation from our side. In the meantime would you be able to provide me the link(s) to the documentation to which you refer? This will help me communicate this issue in a clear fashion to those responsible for these aspects of our product.

Thanks again

mj
                • 5. Re: Peopletools upgrade fails to start
                  Nicolas.Gasparotto
                  Mark,

There's no problem, especially here, since that's probably not (only ?) a PSOVM issue.
                  The text I was quoting earlier come from the "PeopleTools 8.50.01 Product Patch" installation guide, Update ID #807398.
                  But the instructions (the ones I used above) are given in all the subsequent Peopletools 8.5x.xx patch installation guide.
                  This one come from the Peopletools 8.51.10 installation guide, Update ID #864991 :
                  4.2.     For UNIX/Linux: 
                  4.2.1.  Set the DISPLAY variable in the UNIX/Linux environment:

export DISPLAY=0.0

4.2.2.  Change file permissions on the installation files to make them executable on UNIX/Linux servers:

chmod +x setup.sh
                  chmod +x ./InstData/setup.*

4.2.3.  Install the binaries by running the  /pt85110/cd85110/Disk1/setup.sh installer shell script:

./setup.sh -is:tempdir /tmp
                  Looks like the user is applying all 8.49 install instructions. We have moved to InstallAnywhere since 8.50. So most of the commands are not valid e.g. export DISPLAY, -is:TEMPDIR..etc.
                  It is actually the other way around. The DISPLAY instruction were not given in 8.49 patches...

Thank you for your understanding.

Nicolas.
                  • 6. Re: Peopletools upgrade fails to start
                    I have verified that this is a Documentation problem and not a problem with the template or the installation program. The document should not state the requirement for DISPLAY to be set. This is going to be cleaned up in the documentation, we're tracking that documentation fix internally. It remains that we do not need the libXext package to be installed. It's absence (or the absence of packages on which it depends) in the delivered template is not a problem in my opinion. It would be convenient for these packages to be available but our general goal is to make the templates as usable as possible as well as having the bare minimum software bundled with them.

mj
                    • 7. Re: Peopletools upgrade fails to start
                      Nicolas.Gasparotto
                      Thank you Mark for the quick update on this.
                      That's fine by me, all the earlier mentioned RPMs are indeed not required for a working Peoplesoft environment. I was just trying to make it matching the documentation.

Nicolas.
                      • 8. Re: Peopletools upgrade fails to start
                        Nicolas.Gasparotto
                        Mark,
                        FYI, it is interesting to see that nothing has changed within the latest patch 8.51.11 delivered only a week ago.

Nicolas.
                        • 9. Re: Peopletools upgrade fails to start
                          Hey Nicolas-
                          Unfortunately I don't have any control over what is done in those other parts of Oracle. I have reported this to those who have control over the documentation in question. I will update this thread if and when I learn more.

mj
                          • 10. Re: Peopletools upgrade fails to start
                            Stephen Phillips
                            Just FYI, this thread helped me very much with a problem on Red Hat 6. We couldn't do a PIA install because of this error:
                            $ ./setup.sh -i console -tempdir /home/psoft/temp -javahome /opt/jdk
                            Setting temporary directory /home/psoft/temp/IA.31355
                            Executing setup.linux LAX_VM /opt/jdk/bin/java  -i console -DCOMP_NAME=**masked** -DPS_UMASK=0022
                            Preparing to install...

Launching installer...

Invocation of this Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit. (LAX)

Stack Trace:
                            java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Can't load library: /opt/jdk/jre/lib/amd64/xawt/libmawt.so
                                 at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1702)
                                 at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:770)
                                 at java.lang.System.load(System.java:1004)
                                 at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1803)
                                 at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1720)
                                 at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
                                 at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1029)
                                 at sun.security.action.LoadLibraryAction.run(LoadLibraryAction.java:51)
                                 at sun.awt.NativeLibLoader.loadLibraries(NativeLibLoader.java:40)
                                 at sun.awt.DebugHelper.<clinit>(DebugHelper.java:39)
                                 at java.awt.Component.<clinit>(Component.java:560)
                                 at com.zerog.ia.installer.util.BidiUtilImpl.setDefaultLocale(DashoA10*..)
                                 at ZeroGbd.a(DashoA10*..)
                                 at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.s(DashoA10*..)
                                 at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.b(DashoA10*..)
                                 at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.a(DashoA10*..)
                                 at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.main(DashoA10*..)
                                 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
                                 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
                                 at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
                                 at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
                                 at com.zerog.lax.LAX.launch(DashoA10*..)
                                 at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA10*..)
                            This Application has Unexpectedly Quit: Invocation of this Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit. (LAX)
                            My solution was install libXtst:
                            sudo yum install lbXtst
                            Checking all of the packages you mentioned is what led to finding the fix:
                            $ rpm -q xorg-x11-filesystem libXau libXdmcp libX11 libXext xorg-x11-deprecated-libs libXtst libXi
                            package xorg-x11-filesystem is not installed
                            libXau-1.0.5-1.el6.x86_64
                            libXdmcp-1.0.3-1.el6.x86_64
                            libX11-1.3-2.el6.x86_64
                            libXext-1.1-3.el6.x86_64
                            package xorg-x11-deprecated-libs is not installed
                            libXtst-1.0.99.2-3.el6.x86_64
                            libXi-1.3-3.el6.x86_64
                            I hope that helps someone else, and thank you for posting the question out where Google would pick it up!