1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2011 4:15 AM by Marwim Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Should religious oriented messages be tolerated in OTN forums?
        To Mr./Mrs sybrand_b,

In OTN Forum you are the most quickly offended person, Aint u ?

I am a Hindu, we usually dont brag much abt our religion or feel bad if sumone has religious feelings, its their personal choice until and unless he is forcing u to reply him in a religious tone.

I saw ur previous posts, One of the Newbie asked abt SGA size increase and mentioned 'rot' then you have replied:

"'rot' means rule of thumb (please do not use abbreviated or incomplete words, this is not a chatroom, and you don't type a SMS)"

Is their any problem with u or Are you normally this arrogant ?

It depends on how you take it, though u are a GURU in OTN forum (FYI GURU is a HINDU word). Please be patient, every one across the world with different cultures visit this webpage, So try to be humble as a human being and respect people. Thank you !!!

Regards,

A fellow Human Being.

Edited by: user13359541 on 08-Jul-2011 03:09
        • 16. Re: Should religious oriented messages be tolerated in OTN forums?
          BluShadow
          user13359541 wrote:
          To Mr./Mrs sybrand_b,

I am a Hindu, we usually dont brag much abt our religion or feel bad if sumone has religious feelings, its their personal choice until and unless he is forcing u to reply him in a religious tone.

I saw ur previous posts, One of the Newbie asked abt SGA size increase and mentioned 'rot' then you have replied:

"'rot' means rule of thumb (please do not use abbreviated or incomplete words, this is not a chatroom, and you don't type a SMS)"

In fairness, we treat this as a professional forum and using unobvious abbreviations or SMS speak is not deemed acceptable. As you say, there is a wide variety of people here from around the world and not everyone is going to understand such abbreviations or SMS speak. Thus we ask that people write full english words (as that is the language of this forum). Of course it is accepted that English is not everyones first language and typos and spelling mistakes or bad grammar is likely. Even as a native english speaker myself I wasn't aware of the abbreviation of "rot" until you just spelt it out there.

In the SQL and PL/SQL forum, the FAQ specifically requests that people do not use such abbrevations and SMS speak. ({message:id=9360002})
          • 17. Re: Should religious oriented messages be tolerated in OTN forums?
            user13359541 wrote:

we usually dont brag much abt our religion
            Or spelling and writing skills apparently.
            • 18. Re: Should religious oriented messages be tolerated in OTN forums?
              jgarry
              BluShadow wrote:
              user13359541 wrote:
              To Mr./Mrs sybrand_b,

He is that arrogant. You are free to tell him not to be. He is free to ignore you or respond. If he gets out of line and everyone complains, threads can be locked or disappear, or he could be kicked out. That would be a loss, in my opinion. I think it is a good thing that we can mostly speak our minds, even if some of the speech is unattractive. That is what freedom is all about. Oracle doesn't have to give us that freedom. We all have a responsibility not to abuse it.

>
              In fairness, we treat this as a professional forum and using unobvious abbreviations or SMS speak is not deemed acceptable. As you say, there is a wide variety of people here from around the world and not everyone is going to understand such abbreviations or SMS speak. Thus we ask that people write full english words (as that is the language of this forum). Of course it is accepted that English is not everyones first language and typos and spelling mistakes or bad grammar is likely. Even as a native english speaker myself I wasn't aware of the abbreviation of "rot" until you just spelt it out there.
              Odd, I thought ROT in this context was [url http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%2Brot+%2Btom+%2Bkyte]common enough to be acceptable. I mean, would you expect everyone to spell out the meaning of SGA on first usage in each thread?

>
              In the SQL and PL/SQL forum, the FAQ specifically requests that people do not use such abbrevations and SMS speak. ({message:id=9360002})
              Abbreviations are not necessarily im-speak - Do I need to define IM? U certainly is. How about BDBAFH?
              • 19. Re: Should religious oriented messages be tolerated in OTN forums?
                sybrand_b
                To Human Being,

I know for a fact that many Hindu people in this forum are easily offended. At the same time they are also often disrespectful, by labeling doc questions as 'Urgent' and by using incomplete words like 'u'.
                Your 'contribution' to this forum is a case in point:
                - You show very very long toes, while I didn't even offend you
                - You use incomplete words
                - On your very first post on OTN you start to flame me.
                - You are a coward enough not to use your complete name, but flame me anonymously.

I will now mark your 'contribution' as abuse of OTN Forums.

No regards,

--------
                Sybrand Bakker
                Senior Oracle DBA
                • 20. Re: Should religious oriented messages be tolerated in OTN forums?
                  Marwim
                  Odd, I thought ROT in this context was [url http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%2Brot+%2Btom+%2Bkyte]common enough to be acceptable.
                  Especially as a non native speaker it's hard for me to memorize als those abbreviations used. Believe it or not, it's like learning new words in a foreign language. The first thing I though about when I read ROT was a ROT encryption : )
                  would you expect everyone to spell out the meaning of SGA on first usage in each thread?
                  No, SGA in the context of an Oracle db should be acceptable for anyone but an absolute beginner. Those would need to read the concepts anyway in order to understand a posting about SGA, PGA or whatever.
                  Abbreviations are not necessarily im-speak - Do I need to define IM? U certainly is. How about BDBAFH?
                  BDBAFH as abbreviation without a context would be plain stupid. It is unimportant whether it is IM-Speak or not.

Regards
                  Marcus
                  1 2 Previous Next