I have walked through the Northwind migration exercise to the point where I am to capture the XML file I created to create the database tables and so on. There is no option to Capture Exporter XML under the Tools>Migration tab where I would expect t find it, and it does not seem to be anywhere else in SQL Developer version 3.0.04, which is the most recent download on technet. What am I missing ?
I have created the repository, and OMWBREP is connected to the database. The button is not just greyed out, it is not there at all ?
I did the migration and created the .XML and .SQL files with this tool ?
The step I am stuck on.........
14. From the menu bar, select Migration > Capture Exporter XML, to capture the Northwind.xml file generated by the Exporter tool.
Can you outline the exact steps you have made ? From where did you get the migration exercise steps ?
You say you are trying to migrate the Northwind database ? Is that a SQL*Server or Access database and are you trying an online or offline migration ?
The XML Exporter will only work if you have Access installed on your system and is only for Access files.
I am using this document
I have done everything down to step 14. When I look for the Capture Exporter XML I cannot find that anywhere in SQL Developers drop down menus.
It is the Access version of Northwinds, it said the access 2000 files. I have access 2003 installed on my machine, but I can see all of Northwinds bits and pieces.
Do I need to run a patch on SQL Developer or something ?
I'll check and get back to you. That paper was written in 2007 so will be for an earlier version of SQL*Developer so there may be differences.
There are no patches needed for SQL*Developer to migrate Access.
There's a bug in the documentation.
To migrate the Access database try these steps -
1. Use the Microsoft Access Exporter to create your xml file.
2. Tools - Migration - Migrate -
- follow the steps until you get to the 'Source database' option
- choose the 'Offline' method
- choose the xml file generated in step 1.
- remember to change the 'file type' to 'XML' in the 'Choose' panel.
- follow the rest of the steps to complete the migration.
Let me know if this works.
OK I have found the offline method, but it is looking for an .ocp file ?
It will not let me create one and I don't have one already created ?
As another method I added the northwind access database as a connection then used the Copy to Oracle choice when I right click on the access connection. The tables and data came over, is this a suitable work around ?
The rest of the migration document seems to be difficult to follow with out the converted database model.
The next step is generating the forms and reports, views and so on. No idea where to start there. Apex is looking for an Forms2XML file, which seems to reference Oracle forms. Do I need to download Oracle forms and reports.
I have worked my way through, I missed the step of setting the file to XML, so once I did that all went well and I pulled it into the repository. I have then created the objects in my northwind schema.
I don't know if I can get the forms recreated so I am looking at creating them fresh in APEX.
You should be able to choose 'xml' as the file type to migrate.
When you get the option -
Offline Capture Source file
then click on 'Choose'
- click on the 'down' arrow in 'File Type' option and choose 'Access Database meta data dump (*.xml).
Remember, you have to have generated the XML file previously using Microsoft Exporter Tool.
The migration workbench will move the data to Oracle but to be honest, I'm not sure what you then need to do to replace an Access application with Apex.
I suggest you review the documentation -
Oracle® SQL Developer
Supplementary Information for Microsoft Access Migrations
Oracle® SQL Developer
available from here -
and decide what you need to do. If Apex is asking for forms then you will most likely have to install that also, but you could check in the Apex forum - Application Express
they will have a better idea of what is needed.
Our updates have crossed so I'm glad you have been able to get the data into the repository and move the data.
The Apex forum I referred to in my update may be able to help you further in recreating the forms.