This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2011 11:44 PM by Alain RSS

merge slow on big (but not huge) table

Alain Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
11g xe default config (no archive log).
I have a table borabiec.abiec_animal, pk=id, ~4.000.000 rows
I have a table borabiec.todelete, ~1.500.000 rows, unique key is id.

I would like to remove from borabiec.abiec_animal where id is in borabiec.todelete.

Tried:
delete from borabiec.abiec_animal aa where exists(select 1 from borabiec.todelete where id=aa.id);
=>no answer in less than 10 hours, cancelled.

I also tried:
merge into borabiec.abiec_animal aa
using borabiec.todelete dd
on (aa.id=dd.id)
when matched then
update set aa.coat='delete'
delete where 1=1;
=>no answer in less than 10 hours, cancelled.

A full db export takes 20 minutes, but deleting half of a table seems to take days (and db is 11g xe, less than 11gb data).

=>Is there a way to speed this process? Should I toggle to archivelog mode?

Regards,
Alain

Edited by: Alain on 24-juin-2011 0:18
  • 1. Re: merge slow on big (but not huge) table
    Udo Guru
    Alain,

did you ensure that you've gathered fresh and valid statistics for those tables, or did you try a hint to enforce index-usage?
    But it could be that bad anyway with that amount of data to be processed in one step. XE doesn't only have the 11 GB data limit, but also uses a maximum of 1 GB of memory in total (SGA+PGA). I'd expect your queries will both exceed that value.

"Partitioning breaks bottlenecks" => You could try to split your "todelete"-table into multiple smaller parts, and to ensure they are in memory to keep speed, you could use a temporary table for that purpose: use a loop to iterate over a block of perhaps 250000 entries and delete using that block as reference.
    I know, this sounds complicated, but after all, that's part of what paid versions are supposed make life easier...

-Udo
  • 2. Re: merge slow on big (but not huge) table
    Etore Schiavini Newbie
    Why dont use the simplest way:

delete from borabiec.abiec_animal aa where aa.id in( select td.id from borabiec.todelete td);
  • 3. Re: merge slow on big (but not huge) table
    Alain Newbie
    Because this would take more time to complete:
    at each row he will make a full scan of todelete.

I also tried
    delete from borabiec.abiec_animal aa where aa.id in( select td.id from borabiec.todelete td where td.id=aa.id);
    but it is slow as well.

(and my experience tells me that exists is faster than a subselect with an IN)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points