1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 25, 2011 6:29 AM by YoungWinston RSS

SCJP 6 Exam  - Book Question

Hello.

I'm thinking of taking the SCJP 6 Exam.

I looked into taking the SCJP 5 Exam a number of years ago, and purchased the SCJP 5 Study Guide from Kathy Sierra. However, work and life got busy, so I did not pursue it any further.

Would the book I have be good enough to do the SCJP 6 Exam, or should I bite the bullet and purchase the latest 6 book. Or are there any better books or even free online resources out there....

Any input appreciated.
        • 1. Re: SCJP 6 Exam  - Book Question
          YoungWinston
          user12167069 wrote:
          I looked into taking the SCJP 5 Exam a number of years ago, and purchased the SCJP 5 Study Guide from Kathy Sierra. However, work and life got busy, so I did not pursue it any further.
          Would the book I have be good enough to do the SCJP 6 Exam, or should I bite the bullet and purchase the latest 6 book.
          If all that busyness earned you some money, I'd say bite the bullet.

That said, there don't seem to be too many changes (at least according to [url http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history#Java_SE_6_.28December_11.2C_2006.29]this page; there may be better ones out there) that would affect the test too much. The synchronization, garbage collection and annotation updates are something you might want to check on (although I don't remember a single question about Annotations when I did the v6 test; several on the other two though).

Also, the SCJP6 book has been out for a while, so I suspect you could get it fairly cheap on Amazon or even eBay.

Winston