9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2011 11:52 AM by sybrand_b

Disaster recovery scenarios of RAC 11gR2

Hello,

I need your advice about a project I am doing now:

I have 7 RAC 11gR2 nodes on Redhat Linux. We are backing up the database (one instance node) using incremental updated backups via RMAN, and then we move the backups to tape. I autobackup the controlfile and spfile with RMAN and my retention window is 60 days. I am also, running md_backup every night to backup ASM metadata.

until now everything is ok.

But, what happens if I completely loose the 7 nodes RAC? if all the servers are down and completely lost?

I have to think about the best, easier solution to restore from tapes and then restore/recover my database (database + ASM) to a dedicated single instance on a separated server located in another data center.

could you share your experience and advice the step by step of doing it?

thank you
        • 1. Re: Disaster recovery scenarios of RAC 11gR2
          If you are only running incremental backups and do not backup 7 archive log threads, your backup is incomplete, and you should first fix that problem.

------------
          Sybrand Bakker
          Senior Oracle DBA
          • 2. Re: Disaster recovery scenarios of RAC 11gR2
            hello,
            yes, I am backing up the archive log files also using RMAN. My database is in archivelog mode and block change tracking is enabled also,
            • 3. Re: Disaster recovery scenarios of RAC 11gR2
              ah, I am using control file instead of recovery catalogue. And, I am saving the DBID of the instances.
              And I am backing up the FRA to tape
              thank you

Edited by: 868469 on Jun 27, 2011 9:57 AM
              • 4. Re: Disaster recovery scenarios of RAC 11gR2
                rajeysh
                if you would like refer the link:-
                http://gavinsoorma.com/recovery-scenarios/
                see:-Tesing the full restore and recovery of a database backup on another test or scratch server
                1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Disaster recovery scenarios of RAC 11gR2
                  thank you,
                  the example just speak about File System.
                  What about ASM scenario ? It's the same?
                  I think it's difficult with ASM since I have to create ASM diskgroups and disks in the new server and the complicated part is to set the new filenames (datafiles, controlfiles, spfiles ...)

Also, don't forget I am in RAC so what about undo restore and redolog files restore... these files are per thread ...
                  Any idea?

Edited by: 868469 on Jun 27, 2011 10:56 AM
                  • 6. Re: Disaster recovery scenarios of RAC 11gR2
                    rajeysh
                    notes also applicable to ASM file system.

refer the link:-
                    http://dbaregistry.blogspot.com/2010/01/howto-restore-rac-database-to-single.html
                    • 7. Re: Disaster recovery scenarios of RAC 11gR2
                      Maybe you didnit get my point.
                      My FRA is stored in ASM, I am using incremental updated backups (backup copies) and then I backup the FRA to tape.

The steps in the link are for simple file system FRA.
                      • 8. Re: Disaster recovery scenarios of RAC 11gR2
                        Maybe the steps could be:

1- Install Oracle 11gR2 software in the new server. with Fast recovery area, Archivelog mode configured. With File system management Storage.
                        2- Configure MML in the new server and the EMC client.
                        3- From the EMC server choose which Fast recovery Area backup to restore. Restore of Fast recovery Area, Archive logs and Spfile/Control file autobackups
                        4- Restore the Fast recovery Area backup tape to the new fast recovery area.Don't know how do it since my RAC 11Gr2 is using ASM and my new server is using File system for storage
                        5- restore the pfile or spfile and startup nomout. Don't know how do it since my RAC 11Gr2 is using ASM and my new server is using File system for storage
                        6- restore the controlfile from the backup. Don't know how do it since my RAC 11Gr2 is using ASM and my new server is using File system for storage
                        7- startup mount and restore and recover the datafiles. Don't know how to do it since my RAC 11Gr2 is using ASM and my new server is using File system for storage.
                        8- open with resetlogs

As you can see my concern is ASM in my 11gR2 RAC and File System in my new 11gR2 server.

What do you think about the procedure?¿
                        For sure I will test it, but, I need just your opinion.

Thank you

Edited by: oracle on Jun 28, 2011 4:49 AM
                        • 9. Re: Disaster recovery scenarios of RAC 11gR2
                          What difference is there between ASM and cooked files? Zero!

-------
                          Sybrand Bakker
                          Senior Oracle DBA