This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2011 8:15 AM by Boneist RSS

Forum search not finding recent posts

6363 Guru
Currently Being Moderated
The forum search does not seem to be return anything if you limit the date range to yesterday or last seven days

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=&objID=c84&dateRange=last7days&userID=3360&numResults=15

If you go back longer it does not include posts made over the last few days either.

Edited by: 3360 on Aug 30, 2011 10:35 PM

Search is now working again.
  • 1. Re: Forum search not finding recent posts
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Yup.
    I noticed that as well.
    Perhaps the site admins are secretly experimenting with new features for the Jive software?

I'd rather they cripple it so that OLD posts fail to show when searching (such as anything older than five years).
    That would force people to actually navigate to the old forum list pages.
  • 2. Re: Forum search not finding recent posts
    jgarry Guru
    What old forum list pages?
  • 3. Re: Forum search not finding recent posts
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    jgarry wrote:
    What old forum list pages?
    Sorry, I may have used confusing words.
    What I meant was that if someone was hoping to find old posts in something such as "Database General Discussions", where there are about 9400 pages of posts to hold those 141k of threads, they would have to manually go through them a page at a time to actually see what was posted many years ago.
    The forum search function could be crippled to just not show them.
    (As if there aren't enough things `crippled` already.)
  • 4. Re: Forum search not finding recent posts
    jgarry Guru
    I don't see many old posts. For example, I just searched for the word controlfile, category database general, date range all, and it finds 156 messages, a couple as old as 2003.

I notice there is now a sort selection to order by date (I thought it had gone away for a while, but I could just be dreaming), so you could click on page 10 (if you had my settings). Which magically brings up a page 11 to click on. If you actually had 9400, I suppose you could manually binary search to find a date.

Personally I use google with site:forums.oracle.com to find things. controlfile "database general" site:forums.oracle.com gets about 17K, unfortunately no way to order by date that I know of (the timeline tool looks broken to me). But you can filter by date, supposedly. Putting + in front of the terms found around 11K.

I'm more of a fan of user selectable settings than mysterious crippling, though I can understand arbitrary resource limitation. With this crowd, we ought to be able to see the generated search commands.
  • 5. Re: Forum search not finding recent posts
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    As I think more on this, it indeed would be nice to just have it as it was (when fully functional).
  • 6. Re: Forum search not finding recent posts
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    rukbat wrote:
    As I think more on this, it indeed would be nice to just have it as it was (when fully functional).
    And that was... when exactly?

Cannot recall that OTN ever were fully functional. Took how many years to get the issue of e-mail addresses sorted? Could not update your e-mail address on OTN when it changed. When that was eventually fixed (after numerous years of OTN responses that said "cannot be done"), new broken features were introduced. Or created. And recently they lost the box with all the emoticons in it and have yet to find it behind the couch.

They should have dumped Jives years ago...
  • 7. Re: Forum search not finding recent posts
    jgarry Guru
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
    >
    For what, Google Groups? MOS Community? Apex hack? Facebook? [url http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-timberlake-myspace-20110701,0,4079429.story] MySpace?

I think we all forget the volume of posts here, and don't know exactly how much or little support Oracle gives. It's easy to think we are capable of fixing it were we given access (and perhaps here many are), but we just don't know all the facts. We can guess it's not a profit center in a profit driven organization.
  • 8. Re: Forum search not finding recent posts
    Barbara Boehmer Oracle ACE
    I vaguely recalled that it had something to do with how often it is re-indexed. Apparently the new posts are processed in batches and the lag time between posting and being able to search depends on how often they do that. A google search of:

recent posts site:forums.oracle.com

found:

Searching misses recent posts.
  • 9. Re: Forum search not finding recent posts
    jgarry wrote:
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
    For what, Google Groups? MOS Community? Apex hack? Facebook? [url http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-timberlake-myspace-20110701,0,4079429.story] MySpace?
    Apex. And no hacks please. Apex is an extremely capable web framework.

Make it an Open Source project. Actual implementation of OTN driven by Oracle itself. And to start this - all we need to know is the underlying db structure used in order to design on top of it (or preferable put an interface in that allows a proper db design to be used in a phased approach).

I for one would definitely contribute to such a project (on the PL/SQL APIs that the Apex front-end will need to use to access the database).
    I think we all forget the volume of posts here, and don't know exactly how much or little support Oracle gives. It's easy to think we are capable of fixing it were we given access (and perhaps here many are), but we just don't know all the facts. We can guess it's not a profit center in a profit driven organization.
    Nobody is pointing the finger at Justin K and co. They are doing what they can with the resources available. But I would think that they would be the first to admit that OTN has outgrown Jives. That on-line communities and social networking have moved far beyond the feature set that Jives provide.

Same argument I have with some other departments here. Still basing solutions on old technology will simply keep on hurting and the hurt will increase. And the longer one waits in addressing that hurt, the deeper the pit that one needs to dig oneself out of.
  • 10. Re: Forum search not finding recent posts
    APC Oracle ACE
    I would help with such a project. These forums desperately need dragging into the modern era.

Cheers, APC
  • 11. Re: Forum search not finding recent posts
    munky Guru
    I made a small start to this a while ago and have had extra DB space allocated on apex.oracle.com courtesy of the APEX team at Oracle.

I'm in and can provide workspace logins to whoever want it. I'm happy to work on the APEX front end side of things...

Cheers

Ben
  • 12. Re: Forum search not finding recent posts
    What's needed is some idea of the db model/structure used by Jives in order to put an Apex layer on top of it.

Not saying that all structures need to be used (believe that is has a separate indexing structure of postings). Oracle features (for text searching) can be used. But the table structures containing the forum names, watches, actual postings and so on.

Also any config tables (like emoticons) that requires to be used when parsing a posting for rendering.

The s/w will very much depend on what the underlying structure is. If a small subset of the actual Jives database for OTN can be used, so much better....
  • 13. Re: Forum search not finding recent posts
    jgarry Guru
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
    What's needed is some idea of the db model/structure used by Jives in order to put an Apex layer on top of it.
    Somehow I have the feeling we'd want to throw out the mutant with the bath water if we saw it.

>
    Not saying that all structures need to be used (believe that is has a separate indexing structure of postings). Oracle features (for text searching) can be used. But the table structures containing the forum names, watches, actual postings and so on.
    That's just data. Software comes and goes, data is (or should be) forever. Some software overstays its welcome, especially if it is named after a [url http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080339/quotes]colorful form of speaking from the 1970s.

>
    Also any config tables (like emoticons) that requires to be used when parsing a posting for rendering.

The s/w will very much depend on what the underlying structure is. If a small subset of the actual Jives database for OTN can be used, so much better....
    Yes, design for performance. Do we have any clue Jive wasn't "designed" by developers?
  • 14. Re: Forum search not finding recent posts
    6363 Guru
    Over a week and search is still not working is quite a sorry state of affairs. Is this not considered a useful feature by the forum administrators? Are people not supposed to search the forum so they can ask the same question over and over again so people can answer it again and again to increment their brain dead Look I can do homework points?

I recall that after one particularly disastrous upgrade the points were disabled and performance was much improved and other features started working again.

I think the useless points system should be permanently disabled until search, thread read markers, aka Red dotty thingies, ability to post proper links, large threads, and, if you must, emoticons, though I can live without these, are all working properly again.

I cannot fathom why we have these stupid points when there are features lacking that severely limit the usability of these forums.
1 2 3 Previous Next