This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2011 2:41 AM by startup RSS

FAL server and FAL client

867674 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
dear all,
in the configuration Physical standby DB, i confuse about two parameter: FAL server, FAL client.
default, the arch process responsible to transport redo log from primary DB to standby DB, so in the configuration Physical standby FAL_server and FAL_client, what is mission?

thank,
  • 1. Re: FAL server and FAL client
    585179 Expert
    Hi,

Please have a look
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/initparams066.htm#REFRN10055
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/initparams067.htm#REFRN10056
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/log_transport.htm#i1268316

Cheers
  • 2. Re: FAL server and FAL client
    CKPT Guru
    in the configuration Physical standby DB, i confuse about two parameter: FAL server, FAL client.
    default, the arch process responsible to transport redo log from primary DB to standby DB, so in the configuration Physical standby FAL_server and FAL_client, what is mission?
    FAL = fetch archive log, it points to the ORACLE TNS service.

FAL_SERVER need to mention th service name of the remote database, If from Primary database, FAL_SERVER value should point to the standby. If from Standby database, then FAL_SERVER value should point to the primary database.

FAL_CLIENT points to its own TNS service name, i.e. from primary you need to mention primary TNS service, if from Standby mention the local TNS service.

It is more effective in RAC environment because if you have primary is 4 node RAC, then standby should able to fetch all of the archives from each instance. like
    Because every instance has its own redo thread.

FAL_SERVER='TO_PROD1','TO_PROD2','TO_PROD3','TO_PROD4'
    FAL_CLIENT='to_standby'

from Primary,

PROD1:-

FAL_SERVER='to_standby'
    FAL_CLIENT='TO_PROD1'

PROD2:-

FAL_SERVER='to_standby'
    FAL_CLIENT='TO_PROD2'

PROD3:-

FAL_SERVER='to_standby'
    FAL_CLIENT='TO_PROD3'

PROD4:-

FAL_SERVER='to_standby'
    FAL_CLIENT='TO_PROD4'

By configuring FAL_SERVER='TO_PROD1','TO_PROD2','TO_PROD3','TO_PROD4' it can able to fetch from all the instances.

Hope you understood.
  • 3. Re: FAL server and FAL client
    Christian Newbie
    Hey, Oracle Support ask me to change my value for the fal_server from the service name to the connection description of the listener.

#alter system set dg_broker_start=false;
    #Standbydatabase
    alter system set fal_server='(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=racprim1-vip.dblocal)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=PRIM_XPT.dblocal)(INSTANCE_NAME=PRIM1)(SERVER=dedicated)))';

#Primarydatabase
    alter system set fal_server='(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=racstdby1-vip.dblocal)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=STDY_XPT.dblocal)(INSTANCE_NAME=STDY1)(SERVER=dedicated)))';

#alter system set dg_broker_start=true;

But after re-enabling the dmon, the parameter for the fal_server on the standby is reset to the service name.
    Any ideas ?
    Does this paramater need to be changed within in the dataguard configuration ?
  • 4. Re: FAL server and FAL client
    CKPT Guru
    Christian wrote:
    Hey, Oracle Support ask me to change my value for the fal_server from the service name to the connection description of the listener.

#alter system set dg_broker_start=false;
    #Standbydatabase
    alter system set fal_server='(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=racprim1-vip.dblocal)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=PRIM_XPT.dblocal)(INSTANCE_NAME=PRIM1)(SERVER=dedicated)))';

#Primarydatabase
    alter system set fal_server='(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=racstdby1-vip.dblocal)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=STDY_XPT.dblocal)(INSTANCE_NAME=STDY1)(SERVER=dedicated)))';

#alter system set dg_broker_start=true;

But after re-enabling the dmon, the parameter for the fal_server on the standby is reset to the service name.
    Any ideas ?
    Does this paramater need to be changed within in the dataguard configuration ?
    This thread not owned by You, open another thread on your name please.
  • 5. Re: FAL server and FAL client
    startup Explorer
    hi,

In FAL_SERVER u have mention service name of primary and in FAL_CLIENT u have mention service name of physical standby .u have mention both at standby and primary .

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points