8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2011 5:12 AM by ora_tech-2063898 RSS

UFS filesystem limit on solaris 10 - sparc

ora_tech-2063898
      Hi All,

I have one question in regards with soalris UFS file system on Sun Solaris 10 Sparc.

currently i have one mount point with 1.5 TB of space with UFS filesystem connected to EMC SAN, now i am going to add one metalun of 1 more TB and exapnd it on SAN.

In regards with this i have some concerns:

1) Will UFS support 2.5 TB on a single slice?
      2) Simply growfs command will work or do we need to perform additional steps?

Steps :
      ------------------

--> bkp data and umount the filesystem
      --> run devfsadm
      --> use growfs command
      --> mount partition again

Any suggestions in this regards are really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: UFS filesystem limit on solaris 10 - sparc
          Nik
          Hi.
          According http://all-unix.blogspot.com/2007/04/limitations-of-file-system-for-solaris.html solaris 10 should support up to 16TB minimum.

You have plan increase size of LUN or add additional LUN to Solaris and concataned it's with old ?

As i know, solaris not support increase LUN size, but You can try:

--> bkp data and umount the filesystem ! It's MAIN step.
          -------> Increaase LUN
          # --> run devfsadm IMHO - not need.
          ------> Run format. Start select define type of disk ; select auto
          Relabel disk with new size. Define new partition size.
          REQUIRE: only one slice defined on disk. New slice should start with same block as original.

--> use growfs command
          --> mount partition again

Regards.
          • 2. Re: UFS filesystem limit on solaris 10 - sparc
            bobthesungeek76036
            Be careful when re-labeling the disk that you define the same partition (0-7) as the current partition and as Nik pointed out, starts with the same cylinder/block.
            • 3. Re: UFS filesystem limit on solaris 10 - sparc
              ora_tech-2063898
              Hi Nik,

Thanks for your reply.
              You have plan increase size of LUN or add additional LUN to Solaris and concataned it's with old ?
              I am going to add one more LUN to concatenate with old.

I have on more concern, do i need to zero the VTOC of existing partition an then label the disk right.

command:
              dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/dsk/emcpower1as2 bs=512 count=1
              Is there any precaution i need to taken before this command?

Thanks again.
              • 4. Re: UFS filesystem limit on solaris 10 - sparc
                Nik
                Hi.
                Main precaution - make backup.

You can clear VTOC or start scsi auto-detect in format. It's on your choice.

Regards.
                • 5. Re: UFS filesystem limit on solaris 10 - sparc
                  ora_tech-2063898
                  Hi,

Many thanks for input.

May i know how can i start scsci auto detect in format?

Lun detected with new capacity but not displaying in partition table even after labeling the disk.
                        11. emcpower1a <DGC-RAID 5-0429-2.44TB>
                            /pseudo/emcp@1
                  Current situation:
                  Part      Tag    Flag     First Sector          Size          Last Sector
                    0        usr    wm                34         1.46TB           3145711582
                    1 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
                    2 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
                    3 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
                    4 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
                    5 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
                    6 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
                    8   reserved    wm        3145711583         8.00MB           3145727966
                  I tried zero VTOC its not working as slice 2 wa already zero.

Need help.

Thanks in advance.
                  • 6. Re: UFS filesystem limit on solaris 10 - sparc
                    user12143664 wrote:
                    Hi,

Many thanks for input.

May i know how can i start scsci auto detect in format?

Lun detected with new capacity but not displaying in partition table even after labeling the disk.
                    11. emcpower1a <DGC-RAID 5-0429-2.44TB>
                    /pseudo/emcp@1
                    Current situation:
                    Part      Tag    Flag     First Sector          Size          Last Sector
                    0        usr    wm                34         1.46TB           3145711582
                    1 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
                    2 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
                    3 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
                    4 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
                    5 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
                    6 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
                    8   reserved    wm        3145711583         8.00MB           3145727966
                    I tried zero VTOC its not working as slice 2 wa already zero.

Need help.

Thanks in advance.
                    FWIW, that's an EFI label. Above a certain size, "standard" Solaris disk labels don't work, so EFI labels are required. Is that the same as the VTOC that was available before you enlarged the LUN. IIRC that limit might be 2 TB.

Since you refer to slice 2, I am assuming here the old label may not have been an EFI label. Also, EFI labels do not support overlapping slices, so the old Solaris convention of slice 2 being the entire disk no longer applies.
                    • 7. Re: UFS filesystem limit on solaris 10 - sparc
                      ora_tech-2063898
                      Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
                      FWIW, that's an EFI label. Above a certain size, "standard" Solaris disk labels don't work, so EFI labels are required. Is that the same as the VTOC that was available before you enlarged the LUN?
                      yes the VTOC is same before the LUN. In format disk configuration its displaying the new capacity but i want to know how to update this information in VTOC for an EFI disk.

Thanks in advance.
                      • 8. Re: UFS filesystem limit on solaris 10 - sparc
                        ora_tech-2063898
                        Hi,

Thanks for input.

Just i used format >> type >> selected auto-configure >> label

Issue solved, :)

thanks again for all inputs.