3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 12:11 PM by Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant

How to execute repair work maintaining inventory and cost

How we can functionally handle repair work while having a track on the stock sent for repair in Oracle inventory. Again we need to manage the cost involved in the repair work also. Please help me to handle this jon functionally.

Regards
        • 1. Re: How to execute repair work maintaining inventory and cost
          Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant
          If you have Oracle's depot repair module, a lot of this is seeded functionality.
          If you don't have that module, it becomes a little convoluted to keep track.

A lot of customers create a separate organization to handle repair work. That organization is avg. cost org. The inventory under repair is typically kept in a separate subinventory. That subinventory is made non-reservable so that your orders won't reserve to it.
          You create non-std discrete jobs to manage the repair work. You issue material / labor to that job.

It is not easy and it is not perfect. But in absence of Depot Repair, this functions as a workaround.

Hope this helps,
          Sandeep
          • 2. Re: How to execute repair work maintaining inventory and cost
            Thanx Sandeep,

But as per my knowledge Oracle depot repair module is for executing repiar job for materials returned from the customer for repair reason. And i don't know if this module is for maintaining repair work for items which are procured by us.

Example: Say we have procured a TV which is in use. Now which needs reapir by third party. This involves the cost of shifting and charges charged by the third party who will repair the TV. Tax such as service tax may also be involved in the invoice of the third party who will repair the TV. After all a track of stock needs to be maintained also.

Any help in this regard ?
            • 3. Re: How to execute repair work maintaining inventory and cost
              Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant
              Is the TV defined as a fixed asset? If yes, you can use the FA asset workbench to apply the repair costs to the asset.
              Is the TV defined as an EAM asset? If yes, then you can use EAM work order to track the repair costs.