12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2012 6:57 PM by user12961627

11.1.2.1 Planning RMI issues

Dr. Bloodmoney
      Hey everyone. I'm having trouble with a new 11.1.2.1 Planning install; OS is Win 2008 R2 64-bit (DB is SQL 2008, standard built-in Weblogic 10). Standard set of components: Foundation / Reporting bits, Essbase, Planning, FDM; no SSL, SOA, any weirdness. Very vanilla.

The environment is fully built and running, and by and large seems to be operating as expected; I've built a test Planning application, loaded test data into Essbase, built several test reports, etc. I was making some test business rules, when I noticed that I can't seem to get a business rule to validate or launch against my test Planning application. Rules work normally against Essbase.

I bounced the various related services (EAS, RMI, Planning), and restarted them; EAS first, made sure 10080 is listening on the EAS box, then the RMI; made sure that 11333 is l... hmm. Weird, the Planning RMI service is running, but port 11333 on the Planning box isn't listening. I checked the PID of the RMI process (HyperionJavaService.exe *32), and ran a netstat -ano | findstr <PID>, and sure enough, while the RMI service appears to be running, it doesn't actually have any TCP ports open. Planning in this environment has had two patches applied (12573756 and 12432741); like an idiot, I neglected to test the Planning / Business Rules functionality before applying those patches, so I don't know if the RMI was actually working before they were applied. As the RMI appears to call only two jar files - C:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\common\RMI\11.1.2.0\HyperionRMI.jar and C:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\products\Planning\lib\HspJS.jar, the latter of which is replaced by patch 12573756, I rolled the two patches back, restarted the relevant services, with the same results (RMI running, no port listening). The parameters for the Windows service for the RMI registry under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Hyperion RMI Registry\Parameters imply that the RMI should be creating some log files (C:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\diagnostics\logs\HyperionRMIRegistryStdErr/StdOut.log). These log files do not exist; I'm not sure at this point if that's because the java process that HyperionJavaService.exe is trying to invoke isn't working correctly, or if it's because I don't have a logging level option set.

My questions:
      1: How can I enable logging for the RMI registry?
      2: Has anyone had any similar RMI issues with Planning 11.1.2.1 / Server 08 R2 x64? If so, how did you fix them?

TL;DR: HBR doesn't seem to be talking to Planning due, apparently, to the Planning RMI registry not working. The Windows service reports that it is started, but no TCP ports are opened nor does 11333 start listening.

My apologies if I've missed somethng very silly; this is my first 11.1.2.anything install, and I'm still getting used to how the new version works. I'm very familiar with 11.1.1.3, but that doesn't mean much with 11.1.2 it seems! =(
      Thank you so very much, everyone (and probably especially you, JohnGoodwin!)

Edited by: Dr. Bloodmoney on Jul 8, 2011 1:27 AM
        • 1. Re: 11.1.2.1 Planning RMI issues
          JohnGoodwin
          Personally I have not seen any issues with 11.1.2.1 and business rules, I take it we are talking about EAS rules and not calc mangler.
          Where is the the problem occuring, can you not select a planning application?
          Has the planning application definitely been created with classic rules and not calc m.

Cheers

John
          http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
          • 2. Re: 11.1.2.1 Planning RMI issues
            Dr. Bloodmoney
            Yessir, it most certainly has been created as an hbr app, vs. calc mangler. The problem manifests itself simply as an inability to select a Planning outline in EAS (standard communication error when expanding the planning server)...exactly the sort of error you'd have if the RMI wasn't running. If I could just get the RMI to actually write anything to the stderr / stdout logs defined in its win service params I'd have a lot more to go on. Thanks!
            • 3. Re: 11.1.2.1 Planning RMI issues
              JohnGoodwin
              If the RMI is up and running and you can telnet to it on port 11333 then it is usually fine. Can you telnet to port 11333?
              If you start up planning and log into a planning application then check the EAS relational table HBRPLUGINDATA it should have an entry in it.
              If it does create an entry that is when you should log into EAS and try.
              If there is a problem still it will probably logged in the EAS services error log with something like "Can not create RMI connection to Planning Server:......"

Cheers

John
              • 4. Re: 11.1.2.1 Planning RMI issues
                Dr. Bloodmoney
                John,

The RMI is up and, presumably running, but with 11333 not listening, connections to it won't work:

From the Planning box:

C:\>netstat -an | findstr 11333

C:\>

C:\>tasklist | findstr HyperionJavaService.exe
                HyperionJavaService.exe 4428 Services 0 4,356 K

C:\>netstat -ano | findstr 4428

C:\>

From the EAS server:

C:\>tcping <planninghost> 11333

Probing xx.xx.xx.xx:11333/tcp - Socket is not connected (10057) - time=2001.339
                ms

HBRServer.log does indeed show connection errors to Planning:
                2011-07-07 17:49:36,139 WARN [ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '23' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)' com.hyperion.hbr.plugin.planning.PlanningMetadataElement - Error connecting to Planning server <planninghost>:11333.
                2011-07-07 17:49:36,139 WARN [ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '23' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)' com.hyperion.hbr.plugin.planning.PlanningMetadata - Error connecting to Planning server <planninghost>.
                • 5. Re: 11.1.2.1 Planning RMI issues
                  JohnGoodwin
                  Do you definitely have the file HyperionRMI_Port.properties in C:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\common\RMI\11.1.2.0
                  and it contains registryPort=11333

Cheers

John
                  • 6. Re: 11.1.2.1 Planning RMI issues
                    Dr. Bloodmoney
                    Yes indeedy. The two jar files referenced in the rmi classpath properties files both exist in their expected locations, as well.
                    • 7. Re: 11.1.2.1 Planning RMI issues
                      Dr. Bloodmoney
                      Problem solved! Had to add the HotSpot JRE path to the system PATH variable:

C:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\common\JRE\Sun\1.6.0\bin

RMi started up and started listening on 11333 immediately afterwards, HBR now is talking to Planning normally. Huzzah!
                      • 8. Re: 11.1.2.1 Planning RMI issues
                        Feri
                        Hi Dr. Bloodmoney, your solution also solve my issue. many thanks.
                        • 9. Re: 11.1.2.1 Planning RMI issues
                          Pedro Soares
                          Hi, I'm having a problem quite similar to this one, but this solution doesn't work for me. The problem is that in EAS log i get the following:

Found HBR product = ESSBASE_PRODUCT
                          HBR LWA Component = Default
                          Default HBR = http://<server name>:19000/aps
                          In getDBDetails()
                          In lookupBRLWA()
                          List of Web Applications for ADMIN_SERVICES_WEB_APP =
                          com.hyperion.hit.registry.LogicalWebAppComponentImpl@d05c0bda
                          Using Web Application: Default
                          HBR Configuration Initialized successfully.
                          Setting HBR Mode to: 0

But in the planning log I get:

In lookupBRLWA()
                          HBR LWA Component = Default
                          Default HBR = http://<server name>:19000/aps
                          In getDBDetails()
                          In lookupBRLWA()
                          - Cache Manager initialized...
                          - authenticateUser: UserName = admin, Password = password
                          - Repository does not exist for poolname: nullnullnull
                          - Repository does not exist for poolname: nullnullnull
                          - Creating new Repository for poolname: nullnullnull
                          - Invalid Database Type specified: 0. Unable to create Repository object.
                          - Error while creating Repository object. Please make sure your HBR Configuration is correct.
                          - COMM001
                          Invalid Database Type specified: 0. Unable to create Repository object.

This one is strange. The admin password is not password (or this is only a reference?), so I'm not sure what he is trying to do. I also don't have any record on HBRPluginData relational table when I log in Planning.

Any ideas?
                          • 10. Re: 11.1.2.1 Planning RMI issues
                            Hi,
                            I'm having a problem quite similar to this one, but this solution doesn't work for me.

The os is AIX 6.1 .

Any suggestion ?
                            • 11. Re: 11.1.2.1 Planning RMI issues
                              Pedro Soares
                              Try to reconfigure the database choosing to reuse the EAS db and also choose Deploy to Server.
                              • 12. Re: 11.1.2.1 Planning RMI issues
                                user12961627
                                Hi,

Am having this error stated below. I cant access workspace, admin server. And i decided run diagnostic. Bedlow is the report. Can somebody help urgently. The application is working perfectly before this incidence.

EPM System Diagnostics info: 11.1.2.1.0 drop 36-0 build 6321-on-03/01/2011 06:48 AM
                                Build version: 11.1.2.1.0.6765
                                OS name: Windows Server 2008
                                OS version: 6.0
                                Test Status      Service      Test Description      Duration

Hyperion Foundation
                                WARNING      CFG: Configuration      EPMVLD-01005: Product configuration tasks have not been completed.
                                Validating that configuration tasks have been completed      0 seconds
                                FAILED      WEB: Permissions      "system-jazn-data.xml" file not exist.
                                Error: Some of required entries are not valid.
                                Recommended Action: Check if system-jazn-data.xml file contains all HIT entries      0 seconds
                                FAILED      LNK: Registry      Checking that all components in the registry have a link to host
                                Error: $item.exception.localizedMessage
                                Recommended Action:      0 seconds
                                PASSED      CFG: Environment      Checking whether system path variable length exceeds 2,000      0 seconds
                                FAILED      REG: Configuration      Checking if product has only one product node in registry.
                                Error: Component SHARED_SERVICES_PRODUCT was not found in registry.
                                Recommended Action: Try to re-config product.      0 seconds
                                ERP Integrator
                                WARNING      CFG: Configuration      EPMVLD-01005: Product configuration tasks have not been completed.
                                FAILED      REG: Configuration      Checking if product has only one product node in registry.
                                Error: Component AIF_PRODUCT was not found in registry.
                                Essbase / Essbase
                                FAILED      EAS: Essbase Server      Validating Essbase Server startup using MaxL command
                                Error: EPMVLD-01010: Cannot connect to Essbase Server using MaxL.
                                Recommended Action: Check Essbase Server is started.      0 seconds
                                Error: Component ESSBASE_PRODUCT was not found in registry.
                                Essbase / Essbase Administration Services
                                Error: Component BUSINESS_RULES_PRODUCT was not found in registry.
                                Essbase / Essbase Integration Services
                                PASSED      CFG: Configuration      Validating that configuration tasks have been completed      0 seconds
                                PASSED      REG: Configuration      Checking if product has only one product node in registry.      0 seconds
                                Essbase / Essbase Studio
                                Essbase / Provider Services
                                FDM
                                Error: Component FDM_PRODUCT was not found in registry.
                                Foundation / Calculation Manager
                                Error: Component CALC_MANAGER_PRODUCT was not found in registry.
                                Foundation / Performance Management Architect
                                FAILED      AppMgrLoadAdf      Launch external checker with next command: C:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\..\jdk160_21/bin/java -DEPM_ORACLE_HOME=C:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1 -DEPM_ORACLE_INSTANCE=C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\epmsystem1 -Djava.util.logging.config.class=oracle.core.ojdl.logging.LoggingConfiguration -Doracle.core.ojdl.logging.config.file=C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\epmsystem1\config\validation\11.1.2.0\validationTool-logging.xml com.oracle.epm.epma.config.validations.appmanager.AppMgrLoadAdf
                                Error: AppMgrLoadAdf failed. Please inspect the log files for further details.
                                Recommended Action: Make sure external checker is working.      1 seconds
                                FAILED      DimEditorLoadAdf      Launch external checker with next command: C:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\..\jdk160_21/bin/java -DEPM_ORACLE_HOME=C:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1 -DEPM_ORACLE_INSTANCE=C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\epmsystem1 -Djava.util.logging.config.class=oracle.core.ojdl.logging.LoggingConfiguration -Doracle.core.ojdl.logging.config.file=C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\epmsystem1\config\validation\11.1.2.0\validationTool-logging.xml com.oracle.epm.epma.config.validations.dimeditor.DimEditorLoadAdf
                                Error: DimEditorLoadAdf failed. Please inspect the log files for further details.
                                FAILED      EnumApplications      Launch external checker with next command: C:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\..\jdk160_21/bin/java -DEPM_ORACLE_HOME=C:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1 -DEPM_ORACLE_INSTANCE=C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\epmsystem1 -Djava.util.logging.config.class=oracle.core.ojdl.logging.LoggingConfiguration -Doracle.core.ojdl.logging.config.file=C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\epmsystem1\config\validation\11.1.2.0\validationTool-logging.xml com.oracle.epm.epma.config.validations.repository.EnumApplications
                                Error: EnumApplications failed. Please inspect the log files for further details.
                                FAILED      EnumDataSyncs      Launch external checker with next command: C:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\..\jdk160_21/bin/java -DEPM_ORACLE_HOME=C:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1 -DEPM_ORACLE_INSTANCE=C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\epmsystem1 -Djava.util.logging.config.class=oracle.core.ojdl.logging.LoggingConfiguration -Doracle.core.ojdl.logging.config.file=C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\epmsystem1\config\validation\11.1.2.0\validationTool-logging.xml com.oracle.epm.epma.config.validations.repository.EnumDataSyncs
                                Error: EnumDataSyncs failed. Please inspect the log files for further details.
                                FAILED      EnumDimensions      Launch external checker with next command: C:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\..\jdk160_21/bin/java -DEPM_ORACLE_HOME=C:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1 -DEPM_ORACLE_INSTANCE=C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\epmsystem1 -Djava.util.logging.config.class=oracle.core.ojdl.logging.LoggingConfiguration -Doracle.core.ojdl.logging.config.file=C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\epmsystem1\config\validation\11.1.2.0\validationTool-logging.xml com.oracle.epm.epma.config.validations.dimeditor.EnumDimensions
                                Error: EnumDimensions failed. Please inspect the log files for further details.
                                FAILED      PMAJ: EPMA Service      Validating whether jobmanager service is available.
                                Error: EPMVLD-01006: The EPMA service is not available. Check the log files for details.
                                Recommended Action: Check that the server is running.      0 seconds
                                FAILED      DSC: EPMA DimensionServer Server Configuration      Validating EPMA Dimension Server startup... failed...
                                Error: Dimension server was not found in Shared Services Registry.
                                Recommended Action: **PlaceHolder-do-not-translate**      0 seconds
                                Error: Component EPMA_PRODUCT was not found in registry.
                                Foundation / Workspace
                                PASSED      CFG: Configuration      Validating that configuration tasks have been completed      0 seconds
                                Error: Component WORKSPACE was not found in registry.
                                PASSED      REG: Registry      All links are present in the registry.      0 seconds
                                Planning
                                Error: Component PLANNING_PRODUCT was not found in registry.
                                Reporting and Analysis
                                FAILED      SVR: Essbase Java API      Launch external checker with next command: C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\epmsystem1\config\validation\11.1.2.0\launchEssbaseJavaAPI.bat EssbaseJAPIConnect admin ****** hyperion.edostate.gov.ng:****** Embedded
                                Error: EPMVLD-01011: Result at EssbaseJAPIConnect.main(EssbaseJAPIConnect.java; Error message: 19)
                                Recommended Action: Make sure external checker is working.      0 seconds
                                Error: Component WEBANALYSIS_PRODUCT was not found in registry.
                                Error: Component RA_PRODUCT was not found in registry.
                                WARNING      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if all required RAF properties exist under the Reporting and Analysis Setup component.
                                The Reporting and Analysis Setup component is not found.      0 seconds
                                WARNING      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if IR Job Services are available.
                                No IR Job Services (Agent Module) components found in Registry.      0 seconds
                                WARNING      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if IR Log Services are available.
                                No IR Log Services (Agent Module) components found in Registry.      0 seconds
                                FAILED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if the Agent (AGENT) components exist.
                                Error: Components not found.
                                Recommended Action: Ensure that you ran the config tool and configured the Reporting and Analysis Service component.      0 seconds
                                FAILED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check consistency of the Service Agent sets between Registry and V8_SERVICEAGENT.
                                Error: java.lang.Exception: NodeImpl(): Component must not be null.
                                Recommended Action: Ensure that you ran the config tool and configured the Reporting and Analysis Service component.      0 seconds
                                FAILED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if the Reporting and Analysis Service (RA_SERVICE) components exist.
                                FAILED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if the Interactive Reporting Product (INTERACTIVE_REPORTING_PRODUCT) component exists.
                                Recommended Action: Ensure that you have installed and configured Interactive Reporting Product.      0 seconds
                                WARNING      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if IR DAS Services are available.
                                No IR DAS Services (Agent Module) components found in Registry.      0 seconds
                                WARNING      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if all required RAF properties exist under the RAF Logical Web App component.
                                The RAF Web App component is not found.      0 seconds
                                FAILED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if the Reporting and Analysis Setup (RA_SETUP) component exists.
                                Recommended Action: Ensure that you ran the config tool and configured the Reporting and Analysis component.      0 seconds
                                PASSED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if every Agent is associated with some Agent Module(s).
                                Every Agent is associated with some Agent Module(s).      0 seconds
                                PASSED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if Job Factory data folder exists.
                                Data file locations are valid.      0 seconds
                                PASSED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if Reporting and Analysis Services and corresponding Agent Modules belong to the same host.
                                Reporting and Analysis Services and corresponding Agent Modules belong to the same host.      0 seconds
                                FAILED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if the RAF Logical Web App (LOGICAL_WEB_APP) component exists.
                                Recommended Action: Ensure that you ran the config tool and configured the RAF Web App component.      0 seconds
                                WARNING      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if IR BI Services are available.
                                No IR BI Services (Agent Module) components found in Registry.      0 seconds
                                FAILED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check consistency of the Service Agent properties between Registry and database tables (V8_SERVICEAGENT, V8_SA_PROPS).
                                Error: java.lang.Exception: NodeImpl(): Component must not be null.
                                PASSED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if every Agent Module is associated with some Agent.
                                Every Agent Module is associated with some Agent.      0 seconds
                                WARNING      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if Agents are available.
                                No Agent components found in Registry.      0 seconds
                                WARNING      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if RAF Services are available.
                                No RAF Services (Agent Module) components found in Registry.      0 seconds
                                WARNING      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if all required Workspace configuration files exist under the RAF Logical Web App component.
                                The RAF Web App component is not found.      0 seconds
                                PASSED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if Agent Modules and corresponding Agents belong to the same host.
                                Agent Modules and corresponding Agents belong to the same host.      0 seconds
                                PASSED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if Repository data folder exists.
                                PASSED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if Event Server data folder exists.
                                PASSED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if every Agent Module (except IR Log) is associated with some Reporting and Analysis Service(s).
                                Every Agent Module (except IR Log) is associated with some Reporting and Analysis Service(s).      0 seconds
                                FAILED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if the RAF Web App (RA_FRAMEWORK_WEB_APP) components exist.
                                Recommended Action: Ensure that you ran the config tool and configured the RAF Web App component.      0 seconds
                                FAILED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if the Agent Module (AGENT_MODULE) components exist.
                                PASSED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if Service Broker data folder exists.
                                PASSED      RA: Reporting and Analysis      Check if every Reporting and Analysis Service is associated with some Agent Module.
                                Every Reporting and Analysis Service is associated with some Agent Module.      0 seconds

Thanks