This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2011 11:58 AM by clcarter RSS

Problem installing Oracle Linux Release 5 Update 2 from Oracle e-Delivery

874129 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello

I have been trying to install Oracle Linux Release 5 Update 2 from Oracle e-Delivery so that I can install Oracle 11g express edition beta.

Here are the steps that I took and the problem that I am having:
1. I downloaded the file, unzipped the file twice, which gave me 3,042 files and 13 folders with the total size = 3.07 GB.
2. I put in the DVD and restarted my PC hoping that my PC will boot from the DVD, but instead Window started.

I reported this issue to tech support from e-Delivery, but they referred me to contact you. Please assist.

Julia
  • 1. Re: Problem installing Oracle Linux Release 5 Update 2 from Oracle e-Delivery
    Udo Guru
    Hello Julia,

I don't think this is the right place for questions concerning Oracle Linux, as this forum is dedicated to the Oracle Database 11g XE beta. There is a forum especially for questions concerning the OS: {forum:id=822}

But perhaps we can answer your question as well.
    1. I downloaded the file, unzipped the file twice, which gave me 3,042 files and 13 folders with the total size = 3.07 GB.
    This means, you've unzipped the disc image (*.iso)?
    Please try to burn the image file as "Disc Image" or some similar named option. Do not burn the extracted content.

Also make sure your PC uses the DVD drive as primary boot location. Most PCs have an option to show up boot menu when you press some special key (e.g. F12) when the system boot screen is displayed.

-Udo
  • 2. Re: Problem installing Oracle Linux Release 5 Update 2 from Oracle e-Delivery
    clcarter Expert
    3,042 files and 13 folders with the total size = 3.07 GB
    Which download .zip did you choose from edelivery? Under linux-x64 I peeked "Oracle Linux Release 5 Update 2 for x86_64 (64 Bit) - DVD" file V15099-01.zip downloaded, it has just the one .iso file. You'll need to burn that to DVD, but with burn s/w that handles ISO files.

Also keep in mind you'll need 64 bit hardware (amd/intel 64? itanium? those are different), the only *nix platform I've got handy to try it out is -x86 :(                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points