This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2011 5:08 AM by Udo RSS

How to i migrate my applications created on 10g XE to 10g SE

277538 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear all

i have developed few applications using appex on 10gXe. I have licensed 10g SE on another server. I need to move these applications on to 10g SE.

Can anyone guide me how to go about it..

Regards and Thanks in Advance

Uday
  • 1. Re: How to i migrate my applications created on 10g XE to 10g SE
    clcarter Expert
    Depends, how much data?

If both hosts are the same OS, the fastest would probably be shutting down XE (or taking a cold backup) get all datafiles to the SE server, setup/startup/recover a new instance and upgrade. I know that in 9i, its possible to do a restore/recovery/alter database open resetlogs migrate but that won't quite work for 10g, maybe ...resetlogs upgrade; but I'll have to check on that.

Transporting tablespaces to a new instance may also work, but system tablespace cannot be transported, so all the required database users, sequences, procedures, code, etc. must get exported/imported or somehow added at the target instance, then non-system datafiles are basically just copied to a new instance and added in at the target.

Or apex has utilities to export/import the apps, and that's about as much as I know about that bit.
  • 2. Re: How to i migrate my applications created on 10g XE to 10g SE
    277538 Newbie
    thanx clcarter for the reply

My question is simple

As i understand 10g Xe has its own limitation on data size it cannot support more than 4GB of data, when i hit this limit what are the options available for me. According to oracle corporation the upgrade is seamless, i can upgrade it to Standard Edition or EE of oracle easily.

I just wanted to know what would be the procedure to upgrade 10g Xe to 10g SE/EE along with applications

Can anyone throw some light on this.

Thanks in advance

Uday
  • 3. Re: How to i migrate my applications created on 10g XE to 10g SE
    mobra Journeyer
    I just wanted to know what would be the procedure to upgrade 10g Xe to 10g SE/EE along with applications
    Here is an approach you could try:

1. Install SE/EE on a separate machine, and create a database. Then install Apex.

=== Data Migration ===

2. Create the application schema (the schema associated with your Apex workspace) in the new database. Just create the user and give it the grants it needs; don't create any tables.

3. In XE, use the Data Pump Export command-line utility to export the application schema. This will export tables, views, PL/SQL packages, etc. into a single .dmp file.

4. On SE/EE, use Data Pump Import to import the .dmp file into the (empty) schema you created in step 2.

=== Apex migration ===

5. On SE/EE, create a new Apex workspace (use the same name as before) and associate it with your application schema from step 2.

6. On XE, export your Apex application(s) using the Application Builder (or the command-line utility).

7. On SE/EE, import your Apex applications(s).

Other approaches are possible, of course, but the above is a pretty straightforward way, unless you have dozens of schemas/applications in your database.

- Morten

http://ora-00001.blogspot.com
  • 4. Re: How to i migrate my applications created on 10g XE to 10g SE
    277538 Newbie
    Hi Morten

thanks for the reply .

(1. Install SE/EE on a separate machine, and create a database. Then install Apex.)

Does apex comes on standalone type. where can i get this, is it available in downloads? can i get any documentation about this installation procedure.

do i get application express kind of environment once i install apex on to oracle SE/EE with connects to oracle SE/EE

thanks in advance

regards

Uday
  • 5. Re: How to i migrate my applications created on 10g XE to 10g SE
    mobra Journeyer
    Hi Uday,
    Does apex comes on standalone type. where can i get this, is it available in downloads? can i get any documentation about this installation procedure.
    Yes, you can download Apex separately from the database:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex/downloads/index.html

Detailed installation instructions are included in the download.
    do i get application express kind of environment once i install apex on to oracle SE/EE with connects to oracle SE/EE
    Yes you do. But you also need a web server. There are several options to choose from:

http://oracleblues.blogspot.com/2010/11/alternatives-for-plsql-gateways.html

- Morten

• 6. Re: How to i migrate my applications created on 10g XE to 10g SE
    Udo Guru
    Yes you do. But you also need a web server. There are several options to choose from:
    I have to jump in on that one... You don't need a separate web server when installing APEX. You can install and run APEX using the Embedded PL/SQL Gateway (EPG, via XDB's HTTP server) in any supported database version. Actually, every 11g release ships with an APEX version installed for EPG if you don't discard it in the installer.
    The installation and configuration process if you don't have APEX preinstalled is described in the [url http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17556_01/doc/install.40/e15513/otn_install.htm#CBHBCBBJ]corresponding section of the APEX Installation Guide.
    Note that the preinstalled versions always correspond to the current APEX production release at the time the database version has released, so there'll be no 4.0 preinstalled. But you can simply upgrade the installation, which would be necessary before you migrate from XE - if it is 11g. Since the thread is related to 10g (why has it been posted here and not in the 10g XE forum?), you possibly don't have the downgrade conflict.

And another side note: XE ships with a special application for database management that is not included in the standard APEX release. You'll lose that when you migrate.

-Udo
  • 7. Re: How to i migrate my applications created on 10g XE to 10g SE
    277538 Newbie
    Actually, every 11g release ships with an APEX version installed for EPG if you don't discard it in the installer

Hi Udo

Thanx for the jump.

i have installed 11g ver 11.1.0.6.0 in one of my desktop, i have unable to locate EPG option during installtion. how can i ensure EPG is installed or not?
    if it is installed what is the link to open appex admin

Thanks in advance

Regards

Uday

Edited by: udaykumar309 on Jul 14, 2011 6:31 PM
  • 8. Re: How to i migrate my applications created on 10g XE to 10g SE
    mobra Journeyer
    I have to jump in on that one... You don't need a separate web server when installing APEX. You can install and run APEX using the Embedded PL/SQL Gateway (EPG, via XDB's HTTP server) in any supported database version. Actually, every 11g release ships with an APEX version installed for EPG if you don't discard it in the installer.
    Yeah, well, I didn't say you need a separate web server, I just said you need a web server. And DBMS_EPG happens to be a web server which is built into the database.

DBMS_EPG is listed as one of the alternatives in the link of web servers I provided.

- Morten

• 9. Re: How to i migrate my applications created on 10g XE to 10g SE
    Udo Guru
    Hi Uday,

EPG is not a separate option, it's part of XDB and probably installed on your system as well. I think there's just an option to discard the default APEX installation.
    The link to the APEX Admin, if everything was enabled, would be similar to XE: http://localhost:8080/apex/apex_admin
    Note that this is the default. If you have any other service running on that port or your XDB HTTP Server is disabled, you might not use it directly. See the [url http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17556_01/doc/install.40/e15513/otn_install.htm#BHAFBECA]APEX Installation Guide once more to find out which port your XDB HTTP Server is running on and how you could enable or change the HTTP port if disabled or conflicting. You can also read the following section concerning Network ACLs, if you use any network related features like mail in APEX on your 10g XE, as this part changed with 11g.

@Morten:
    You're right, of course. But it's not that obvious from both your post and the linked source that EPG (as used in XE before) is a component usually already installed in the database. Even the picture provided in the blogpost you referenced shows the web server as a kind of outside extra component. We both know that this is just to differentiate from the actual database functionality, but I think this can be misunderstood by someone who never heard about EPG before... That's what I wanted to point out. I hope you don't take my intervention as an offense to your knowledge, as this was not my intention. Actually, I didn't even say what you wrote was wrong. ;)

-Udo
  • 10. Re: How to i migrate my applications created on 10g XE to 10g SE
    mobra Journeyer
    @Morten:
    I hope you don't take my intervention as an offense to your knowledge, as this was not my intention. Actually, I didn't even say what you wrote was wrong. ;)
    Udo,

no offense taken. My posts were really mostly about how to move data and apps to a new server (the original question). I just thought I would mention that one needs to pick/use a web server as well.

I agree that the link I provided is not the best for beginners (because the mention of DBMS_EPG is very brief), but I used that link since it also lists some "non-Oracle" options (like the Thoth Gateway for IIS). Maybe I should consider writing a blog post myself that goes into more detail on each option, targeted at beginners. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea...!

- Morten

• 11. Re: How to i migrate my applications created on 10g XE to 10g SE
    277538 Newbie
    Hi Udo

I have suceeded till enabling XDB HTTP Server, when i try to access by http://localhost:8080/apex/apex_admin
    system ask for XDB authentication. I tried with admin/system it doesnot accept.

Thanks in advance

regards

Uday
  • 12. Re: How to i migrate my applications created on 10g XE to 10g SE
    277538 Newbie
    Hi Morten

Generally technical documents available on oracle website are too technical to understand and implement for beginners. I would appreciate if you write a standard set of procedure to get the appex right on oracle 11g SE/EE for beginners in your blog. It would help many.

Thanks & Regards

Uday
  • 13. Re: How to i migrate my applications created on 10g XE to 10g SE
    Udo Guru
    Hi Uday,

in the recent APEX versions, this password had to be reset at the end of the installation. Take a look at the [url http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17556_01/doc/install.40/e15513/otn_install.htm#HTMIG392]corresponding section of the APEX Installation Guide.

-Udo
  • 14. Re: How to i migrate my applications created on 10g XE to 10g SE
    277538 Newbie
    Hi Udo

I have tried to change admin password by doing followings
    initially system could not find apxchpwd.sql ,so i copied it from other xe installtion and ran it, it prompted for new password ; i typed new password. finally it gave me following error.

I have also tried logging in with new password, its not working

thanks in advance

Uday

C:\WINDOWS\system>sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on Mon Jul 18 15:19:32 2011

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name:
    C:\WINDOWS\system>sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on Mon Jul 18 15:19:39 2011

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All rights reserved.

SQL> connect sys as sysdba
    Enter password:
    Connected.
    SQL> @apxchpwd
    SP2-0310: unable to open file "apxchpwd.sql"
    SQL> @apxchpwd
    Enter a value below for the password for the Application Express ADMIN user.

Enter a password for the ADMIN user []
    ERROR:
    ORA-01435: user does not exist

...changing password for ADMIN
    wwv_flow_security.g_security_group_id := 10;
    ERROR at line 3:
    ORA-06550: line 3, column 5:
    PLS-00201: identifier 'WWV_FLOW_SECURITY.G_SECURITY_GROUP_ID' must be declared
    ORA-06550: line 3, column 5:
    PL/SQL: Statement ignored
    ORA-06550: line 4, column 5:
    PLS-00201: identifier 'WWV_FLOW_SECURITY.G_USER' must be declared
    ORA-06550: line 4, column 5:
    ORA-06550: line 5, column 5:
    PLS-00201: identifier 'WWV_FLOW_SECURITY.G_IMPORT_IN_PROGRESS' must be declared
    ORA-06550: line 5, column 5:
    ORA-06550: line 8, column 23:
    PL/SQL: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
    ORA-06550: line 7, column 16:
    PL/SQL: SQL Statement ignored
    ORA-06550: line 13, column 32:
    PLS-00364: loop index variable 'C1' use is invalid
    ORA-06550: line 12, column 9:
    ORA-06550: line 19, column 5:
    PLS-00201: identifier 'WWV_FLOW_SECURITY.G_IMPORT_IN_PROGRESS' must be declared
    ORA-06550: line 19, column 5:

Commit complete.

SQL>
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points