12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2013 3:31 AM by 751905 RSS

DRM Web is very slow 11.1.2.1.0

user122860
      Hello,

We recently moved from version 9.3.1 to 11.1.2.1.0 and noticing that the web version is very slow. The same thing on version seems to be performing well. Are there any known workarounds that we could to make this little faster.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Environment: Windows server 2003 / 8 core / 2.2 ghz / 8 GB RAM

FYI only DRM is installed on this box.

Thanks
      Sri
        • 1. Re: DRM Web is very slow 11.1.2.1.0
          In general my experience has been that this version performs quite a bit slower than the previous version when comparing a vanilla, out of the box installation.

I'd suggest that you monitor the web server(s), the application server(s), the database and the network. This will help you determine where any lag time is being spent, i.e.:
          - Is the web server taking too long to marshall the SOAP over HTTP into binary data for the app server and visa versa? (This is typically only an issue with large user counts. Using multiple web servers and load balancing technology will alleviate this if it is an issue.)
          - Is the web server communication with the app server slow or going across a lot of hops?
          - Is the app server CPU bound?
          - Is the communication between the app server and the database slow?
          - Is the database performing well? (Enough space, objects in correct table spaces, properly tuned indices, transaction/redo logs, etc. DB tuning is an art form unto itself.)
          - Is any of the network traffic going through firewalls?
          - If firewalls are in play are they purely playing a role of gatekeeper or are they scanning the traffic as well? (Like virus scanning, this will make things orders of magnitude slower.)
          • 2. Re: DRM Web is very slow 11.1.2.1.0
            user122860
            Naren,

thank you for the response. This was a test install and i only installed DRM and anything that gets installed with it. There is no separate web server services are anything that we installed with it. I looked into the services also and there is no web logic service running? I believe this is all handled internally somehow in the new 11.1.2.1 install.

Thanks
            Sri
            • 3. Re: DRM Web is very slow 11.1.2.1.0
              CAyotte
              We are also experiencing the same type of slowness and upgrading from 9.3.2 to 11.1.2.1 (two seperate environments), I have opened an Oracle SR to see what can be done to improve the performance. I'm not seeing a load being placed on memory or CPU on the server which DRM sits.

Please share any success that you have and I'll do the same.
              • 4. Re: DRM Web is very slow 11.1.2.1.0
                user122860
                Sorry oracle support was not at all useful. The only thing they said is that they do not help in improving the performance. I did even mention that this seems to be a common problem to the rep and she said that with web it can get slow. Let me know if you have any luck with Oracle SR.

thanks
                • 5. Re: DRM Web is very slow 11.1.2.1.0
                  Cayotte / Sri,

We are also in 9.3.2 and We want to upgrade to 11.1.2.1 in one of our test environments and We are having issues during the upgrade process.

Can you please share the steps followed in your upgrade ?

We did follow the steps mentioned in release docs but unfortunately that has not helped.
                  • 6. Re: DRM Web is very slow 11.1.2.1.0
                    user122860
                    Hello,

Here are the steps i did when i upgraded from 9.3.1 to 11.1.2.1
                    Hello here is what i did.

1) First Install 11.1.2.1
                    2) Configure 11.1.2.1
                    a) Had my DBA create an empty database on SQL server (I do not have create DB access)
                    b) During configuration i choose generate SQL Scripts (two of them)
                    c) Ran the SQL scripts on the DB to create all the needed tables
                    d) Again on the repository wizard this time choose upgrade from a prior release (now choose 9.3.1 repository as source and 11.1.2.1 as target) this will do all the magic
                    e) Right click on the application and make sure you click on "apply updates"
                    3) Reboot services ( I did the entire box reboot just to be safe)

Hope this helps.

Thanks
                    Sri
                    • 7. Re: DRM Web is very slow 11.1.2.1.0
                      Detlev
                      Hi there,

I don't know what slownes you experience but I can tell you that working with IE is not a good idea in general and for DRM it is a disaster. User actions in the browser speed up very very much if you use FireFox.

Detlev
                      • 8. Re: DRM Web is very slow 11.1.2.1.0
                        Likith Lanka
                        Google Chrome is working better than IE for me. It is very fast.

On the flip side, there might be some cases where Chrome is not compatible. But these are minor. So better go with Chrome.

Example: Present DRM can open lot of tabs, I am not able to close any of the tabs. I am doing a refresh of page. Still I like using Chrome as its very fast.
                        • 9. Re: DRM Web is very slow 11.1.2.1.0
                          Likith Lanka

On the flip side, there might be some cases where Chrome is not compatible. But these are minor. So better go with Chrome.

Example: Present DRM can open lot of tabs, I am not able to close any of the tabs. I am doing a refresh of page. Still I like using Chrome as its very fast.
                          • 10. Re: DRM Web is very slow 11.1.2.1.0
                            Likith Lanka

• 11. Re: DRM Web is very slow 11.1.2.1.0
                              User504940
                              Hi ,
                              Has anyone found a solution to this?
                              Can DRM V11.1.2.2 be tuned at all?
                              I have patch 3.4 and it is very slow.
                              We are loading files via .bat files and running a blend and it is soooooooooooo much slower than it was in V9 .
                              Oracle Support has not been any help.
                              we have very powerful machines but DRM input run that used to take 6 hours is now taking 44 hours to complete.
                              It is hardly using any RAM or CPU on the App or database server ( around 5%) .

There is definitely some sort of bug that stops DRM from accessing RAM and CPU which is available on the machine and there for causing the application to run really slow.
                              any help is much appreciated.
                              Regards
                              Raymond D
                              • 12. Re: DRM Web is very slow 11.1.2.1.0
                                The latest version of DRM should take care of your performance issues. 11.1.2.2.305 was released earlier this week by Oracle. It is available at support.oracle.com under the tab 'patches and updates'. There is a performance fix in this patch which runs makes updates run significantly faster.