6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2011 9:32 AM by S.PDASH

Category Management

user11240740
      Hi

A collleague tells me that they have been advised that there is category management functionality in oracle. However, when I search for this the only thing that is returned is references to the Retail Category Management module which relates to products and retailers. We are a UK Council and therefore this module would not be relevant. I realise there is a category flexfield used for classifying spend but is there any other category management functionality available for iProcurment/Purchasing.

Thanks

Sean
        • 1. Re: Category Management
          Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant
          "Category Management" is a generic term and it could mean different things to different people.
          What functionality is the business looking for?
          • 2. Re: Category Management
            S.PDASH
            Hi Sean,
            To my knowledge, Category management is linked to Procurement (iProcurment of Oracle) and it is otherwise known as catalog management.

In iProcurment, All items of BPA lines are treated as a catalog Item. Let me know if a Level-3 process diagram will help. I can send it to you.

Kind Regards,
            S.P DASH
            • 3. Re: Category Management
              user11240740
              Hi

My colleague doesn't have any specific requirements as yet. He just heard that there was functionality called Category Management in R12 and wanted to know what it was. But from responses looks like it is not a specific piece of functioanlity.

However, we have issues with users selecting incorrect categories when entering non-catalogue requisitions. When codes are entered at the requisition line level users will:
              o select incorrect category or,
              o select the first category at top of list to process requisition quickly or,
              o select a category linked to a subjective which has a budget as opposed to the correct code which does not have a budget.

This leaves category classification analysis meaningless. I realise this can be mitigated using catalogues or non-catalog request templates and approved supplier lists. Is there anything else you are aware of that may help?

Thanks
              Sean
              • 4. Re: Category Management
                S.PDASH
                Hi Sean,
                We believe a smartform (in iProcurment) is the right answer for your non-catalog request/requisition. Through smartforms you can use ASL and restrict categories, commodity etc. Try using Smartforms and let us know if it helps.

Kind Regards,
                S.P DASH
                • 5. Re: Category Management
                  user11240740
                  Thanks for the response.

Can you please send me that Level-3 process diagram you mentioned previously sdonelan@lambeth.gov.uk

Thanks

Sean
                  • 6. Re: Category Management
                    S.PDASH
                    Hi,
                    Sent you the Level-3 diagram to your mail id.

Kind Regards,
                    S.P DASH