3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2011 1:53 PM by Udo RSS

Import Oracle 11g databases using the Express version

Dear all,

New to the Express Edition, and was wondering if it's possible to import DATA DUMP files (.dmp) created by the full / standard 11g using the Express Edition ?

Is there any particular detail to pay attention to?

Thanks so much for sharing,

Owen
        • 1. Re: Import Oracle 11g databases using the Express version
          Udo
          Hello Owen,
          New to the Express Edition, and was wondering if it's possible to import DATA DUMP files (.dmp) created by the full / standard 11g using the Express Edition ?
          In general, it is possible to import data from other database editions to XE, but...
          Is there any particular detail to pay attention to?
          You'll have to make sure that the restrictions in XE don't apply. Relevant restrictions would be the size limit (you can store up to 11 GB in 11.2 XE), you don't have features like partitioning (you don't have that in SE either, but what do you mean by "full") or Java in the database. If you use one of these, other data might be imported, but objects using unavailable features will fail.
          See the [url http://www.oracle.com/us/products/database/product-editions-066501.html]Editions comparison page (not yet updated to 11.2 XE, but there's no big difference to 10.2 XE in general) and of course the [url http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17781_01/license.112/e18068/toc.htm#BABJBGGA]Licensing Information for 11.2 XE (still in draft) for details.

-Udo
          • 2. Re: Import Oracle 11g databases using the Express version
            Hello Udo,

Thank you so much for your prompt and very helpful response.

I jut got clarification that the data I need to import is produced by the Enterprise Edition 11G. Was wondering if it's till do-able and if there's any further complication you would like to point out?

Thanks much,

Owen
            • 3. Re: Import Oracle 11g databases using the Express version
              Udo
              Hello Owen,

as I said before, in general, it is possible. You can even import partitioned tables by giving up the partitioning on import, as discussed earlier in this thread: {thread:id=2215585}. As long as you import just data and other Objects supported by XE, there's no problem. Objects not supported by XE (e.g. Java) will simply fail, but the import will continue to load everything else.
              I'd suggest to just give it a try - import to an empty schema with an individual tablespace assigned to. Don't forget to remap the tablespace in your import parameters. If it doesn't work as you need it, you can just drop schema and tablespace and have your XE as if nothing ever happend.

-Udo