This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2012 12:45 PM by 929749 RSS

UI rendering issue in Skin editor (11.1.2) on Mac

859108 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I just tried to run the stand alone skin editor (11.1.2) on Mac OS X and noticed some UI rendering issue - All the icon and menu are hidden unless I move the mouse cursor over them. (sometimes they don't even show up if I do so) And every time when I launch the program, I see lots of null pointer exception from "com.apple.laf.AquaMenuPainter.paintMenuBarBackground(AquaMenuPainter.java:140)"

It looks like a platform specific issue, since the Oracle claims Mac is also certified. Is there any work around for that?

Mac OS X: 10.6.7
JVM: 1.6.0_24
JDev: 11.1.1.5 (may be not relevant here)

Thanks,

Steven

Edited by: Steven on Jul 18, 2011 11:03 AM
  • 1. Re: UI rendering issue in Skin editor (11.1.2) on Mac
    Frank Nimphius Employee ACE
    Hi,

can you try help--> check for updates to get to the latest patch level ? There was an update released this week (not sure when you downloaded yours). If this is still there then this is a bug obviously

Frank
  • 2. Re: UI rendering issue in Skin editor (11.1.2) on Mac
    859108 Newbie
    The issue still persists after installing the latest patch.

Thanks,

Steven
  • 3. Re: UI rendering issue in Skin editor (11.1.2) on Mac
    KevinAngus Explorer
    Hi Steven,

I just downloaded standalone SkinEditor 11.1.2.1 and had the same problem as you.

I managed to get round it thankfully.

As you mentioned, the menu items become visible sometimes when moving the mouse over them. I managed to find the Preferences menu item and opened it. In the Environment section I changed the Look and Feel from Oracle to Mac OS X. When I restarted the editor came up with no errors.

I don't think the Mac OS X look and feel is as nice though so I did some more digging.

I found a file called jdev-Darwin.conf in jdev/bin that contains Mac specific configuration for JDeveloper. In here I noticed the following line:
    AddVMOption    -Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true
    As the error we were getting was to do with menus I copied the line into skineditor.conf and hey presto it works for the Oracle look and feel. The app menus are on the Apple menu bar rather than the Java app window but I can live with that.

Cheers,

Kevin
  • 4. Re: UI rendering issue in Skin editor (11.1.2) on Mac
    929749 Newbie
    Thank you - your solution worked. Editing "skineditor.conf" and adding the option worked. (I encountered the same problem when trying to install Skin editor (11.1.2.1.0) on my Mac (10.6.8) with the latest Java. )

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points