2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2012 4:54 AM by 921069 RSS

How to connect to oracle database from visual basic 2010 express edition

I have installed visual basic 2010 express edition on windows xp. But visual basic 2010 express edition supports Microsoft sql server database file,Microsoft sql server compact 3.5, Microsoft access database file. I want to connect to oracle database from visual basic 2010 express edition. So what drivers are required and how to do connectivity?
        • 1. Re: How to connect to oracle database from visual basic 2010 express edition
          Johnsung-Oracle
          Hello,

I wasn't clear on what you were using to make the connection. I had a look in Visual Studio 2010 (don't have express to test sorry).
          I think you mean the Data Sources available under the menu Data-> Datasources. this seems to match the description you give when I
          look at the list of datasource options.

In here you can make ODBC connections via the Microsoft .net Data Provider .
          If you select ODBC as a datasource you can see listed the DSN's you created - for example I see 2 which use the Oracle ODBC driver.

This assumes you installed an Oracle Client + the oracle version of the ODBC driver (comes with the oracle client).

Once you created a server connection then you should see it in the server explorer.

You can also download the Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio which is an add on for VS.
          ** I suspect this is only for VS 2010 and I didn't see that Express was supported.
          http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/visual-studio/overview/index-097110.html

Let me know if that helps.
          John
          • 2. Re: How to connect to oracle database from visual basic 2010 express edition
            Hi user11180154,

You can connect your Visual Basic .Net 2010 Express edition by adding the reference Oracle.DataAccess, if you're using the wizard to connect server, it will only give three connections. I found this article on internet regarding visual basic .net 2010 connecting to Oracle Server. http://visualbasic-source-code.com/2011/12/read-data-oracle-database-visual-basic-net-2010.html

Edited by: 918066 on Mar 1, 2012 2:54 AM