6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2011 8:10 AM by RN RSS

Wrap report column

RN
      Using apex 3.2

I have a classic report. How can I wrap the text of a particular column of that report?

Thanks,
      RN
        • 1. Re: Wrap report column
          TexasApexDeveloper
          Add "white-space: wrap" to the CSS Style in the report column formatting of the column you wish to wrap...

Thank you,

Tony Miller
          Webster, TX

I am a Ranger! We walk in the dark places no others will enter! We stand on the bridge and no one may pass! We live for the One, we die for the One!

If this question is answered, please mark the thread as closed and assign points where earned..
          • 2. Re: Wrap report column
            fac586
            TexasApexDeveloper wrote:
            Add "white-space: wrap" to the CSS Style in the report column formatting of the column you wish to wrap...
            This is a persistent misconception among users of this forum: +wrapwhite-spacethere is no <tt>wrap</tt> value for <tt>white-space</tt>+.

<tt>white-space: normal</tt> would be the correct option, but it's rarely specified explicitly as this is the default.
            RN wrote:
            Using apex 3.2

I have a classic report. How can I wrap the text of a particular column of that report?
            Why isn't it wrapping? Wrapping is the default presentation. Does the column content actually contain any whitespace or hyphen characters that would cause default wrap behaviour?

Either reproduce the problem on apex.oracle.com or post example data here.
            • 3. Re: Wrap report column
              RN
              Thanks so much to Tony and user fac586.

You experts are absolutely correct. Wrapping is the default behavior. I tried to create another app and the report shows wrapped data as I wanted.

But I still have problem because of the custom template used for my app. Let me try to explain , but pardon my bad English.

I do not have the code for custom template. I think the actual code is residing on the server side.
              Page definitions show reference to that code.
              When I go to shared components>templates, I am not sure what to look for.

Basically, if I talk about look and feel of the page, its something like this:

Imagine box-in a-box concept. Inside box is my app page where all the page components show up and outside box is just some background added to each page.
              Basically, page width is reduced.
              When my report has columns with very large value , the report spills out from the page area to the page background and the template looks messy.

I understand that it is very hard for others to understand. But is there any way that in the report query itself, I can add some breaks to column values.
              Don't know how it can be done? Because the different records will have different size for the values of the same column.

or if I can define the width of the each report column, so it may get wrapped if column value is bigger than the report column width.

I will close the thread if my question is difficult to understand.

Thanks ,
              RN
              • 4. Re: Wrap report column
                fac586
                RN wrote:
                I will close the thread if my question is difficult to understand.
                Your question is certainly difficult to understand (but not because of your English which is very clear), but because you can see what you're trying to describe and we can't. This is no reason to close the thread unanswered before exploring things further.

Start by providing the usual basic information:

<li>APEX version
                <li>DB version and edition
                <li>Web server architecture (EPG, OHS or APEX listener)
                <li>Browser(s) used
                <li>Theme
                <li>Templates
                <li>Region type

As previously stated, the best approach for this kind of problem is for you to share it with the forum community by reproducing it (or at least uploading the app) on apex.oracle.com.

You can also upload a screen shot showing the problem (mask out any sensitive information it contains) to a site like tinypic.com and post a link to it here.
                But I still have problem because of the custom template used for my app. Let me try to explain , but pardon my bad English.

I do not have the code for custom template. I think the actual code is residing on the server side.
                All APEX template code resides somewhere on the server, either as the templates themselves in the Shared Components, or as CSS elsewhere on the server, so in fact you should have the code.
                Page definitions show reference to that code.
                What does this mean? Post the code from the page (using \
                ...\
                tags
                as described in the FAQ).
                When I go to shared components>templates, I am not sure what to look for.
                Click on the Report Attributes tab of the report definition. The Report Template used is set in the Layout and Pagination section of this page. What report template is used? Take a note of it and tell us.

Then go to Shared Components > Templates. In the filters at the top of the page, select your current theme from the Theme list, and Report from the Show list. Click Go and then click on the template used by your report.

Other things to look for are: customisations in the HTML Expression, CSS Class and CSS Style properties of the report column attributes; embedded CSS style sheets in the page HTML Header; and HTML and CSS hard-coded into the report query.
                Basically, if I talk about look and feel of the page, its something like this:

Imagine box-in a-box concept. Inside box is my app page where all the page components show up and outside box is just some background added to each page.
                Basically, page width is reduced.
                For stuff like this, a picture is worth a 1000 words (and an app we can see on apex.oracle.com is worth 10000)...
                When my report has columns with very large value , the report spills out from the page area to the page background and the template looks messy.
                I understand that it is very hard for others to understand. But is there any way that in the report query itself, I can add some breaks to column values.
                Don't know how it can be done? Because the different records will have different size for the values of the same column.

or if I can define the width of the each report column, so it may get wrapped if column value is bigger than the report column width.
                Before considering solutions, we need to understand the problem. Help us to help you by providing all of the information needed.

Edited by: fac586 on 21-Jul-2011 07:54
                • 5. Re: Wrap report column
                  RN
                  I will come back to this thread with more info. I need sometime to prepare the info after hiding all the confidential info from my project.

Thanks,
                  RN
                  • 6. Re: Wrap report column
                    RN
                    I got it fixed by using following code in classic report/column attributes/css style section:
                    width:500px; display:block; white-space:normal;
                    But I realize that I should try to provide more info while asking help on such questions.

RN