4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2011 5:23 PM by 843667 RSS

Migration from SQL SERVER 2008 to Oracle 10g issues.

Hi ,

I'm trying to migrate from SQL Server 2008 to Oracle 10g and I end up with some issues that I wanted to ask some info about it.
      First, I was following a tutorial
      http://st-curriculum.oracle.com/obe/db/hol08/sqldev_migration/mssqlserver/migrate_microsoft_sqlserver_otn.htm
      and and in the last version of Oracle SQL developer I downloaded, I didn't find the Load Database Capture Script Output option.
      My first question is how can I either add this option or is there a new way to load the capture script ?
      Then I use the migration wizard and after following everything, I had the migration complete message from the application.
      When I tried to open my connectionss, it tells me version 11.2 is required. Does that mean that Oracle SQL developper 3 only
      do the migration for oracle 11g? And if I tried the previous versions, it doesn't support SQL server 2008.
      What do I do in this case ?

Thanks !
        • 1. Re: Migration from SQL SERVER 2008 to Oracle 10g issues.
          Kgronau-Oracle
          The Load Database Capture Script Output can be found in the tools -> Migration section.

You've already discovered the "Create Database Capture Scripts" in Tools -> Migration menu and you've executed the script that generated the DAT files.
          Now click on Tools -> Migration -> Migrate option, choose your repository , add a project and then on the next page you have to choose between the ONLINE and OFFLINE mode. When you're using the DAT files, please choose the OFFLINE mode and add the *ocp file with the sub directories containing the DAT files.

SQL Developer is able to connect to 10.2 Oracle db as well. Can you please be more specific about the second issue and provide more details which steps you did?
          • 2. Re: Migration from SQL SERVER 2008 to Oracle 10g issues.
            Thank you for your reply.
            After using the wizard and made the offline migration script, in the Migration projects window I made a move data to the oracle connection I previously made and after when I tried to reopen the connection, I couldn't.
            Well I didn't retry it yet to see if I'll have the same behavior but basically this is what I think I did. When I tried to open the connection I made, it says, Oracle 11.2 is required.

------------------------
            Now, I just generate target from the convert model and it says migration complete but how do I test it and I do I go to oracle and see change ?
            Do I had to create a special user in SQL Server to log to it first ? How do I logon to it ?

Edited by: 873671 on Jul 20, 2011 7:03 AM

Edited by: 873671 on Jul 20, 2011 7:19 AM
            • 3. Re: Migration from SQL SERVER 2008 to Oracle 10g issues.
              I don't know what I did before but I didn't get the same error message that I had before.
              THanks for your answer and I did my migration.
              • 4. Re: Migration from SQL SERVER 2008 to Oracle 10g issues.
                THANK YOU!!!
                for your answer.
                to find offline and online check box in Tools - > Migration menu
                Many Thanks.
                Best regards
                Csilla