5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2011 11:34 PM by EJP RSS

JApplet returning parameters ?

Hi there,

I've made an applet and sent String parameters to it. The applet manipulates these parameters and other stuff.

Is there any possible way to return these parameters or any other, I was kind of expecting a setParameter method like the getParameter(String), which is certainly not the case.

- Arjun
        • 1. Re: JApplet returning parameters ?
          Arjun wrote:
          ..I've made an applet and sent String parameters to it. The applet manipulates these parameters and other stuff.

Is there any possible way to return these parameters..
          To where?
          ..or any other, I was kind of expecting a setParameter method like the getParameter(String), which is certainly not the case.
          You parsed the parameters in the first place did you? Parse them again, and call whatever code you need to, to update the applet. It's your code isn't it?
          • 2. Re: JApplet returning parameters ?
            To where?
            Actually I'm using the applet in a JSP, that's where I'm giving the applet some parameters to work on initially.
            Would it be possible to retrieve parameters back to the JSP or some other page after the applet has finished working with it.

Here's what I'm actually trying : (Not entirely SWING here)

To run the applet, I'm getting some data from a database from the server, which is retrieved by a servlet, sets a session parameter, and forwards it to the JSP which runs the applet with the appropriate parameters.

Now after a few clicks and other stuff on the applet, I would like the applet to somehow return a String, which eventually forwards the page to the servlet and update the database.
            • 3. Re: JApplet returning parameters ?
              EJP
              You're forgetting that the applet executes in the browser while the JSP executes at the server. The JSP can define parameters to initialize the applet with, but if the applet wants to communicate further with the server the only mechanism available is the network.
              • 4. Re: JApplet returning parameters ?
                Wow, how in the world did I forget that JSP are server side.
                Ah well, thanks for reminding me though, I'm not so familiar with applet-server communication, so I'm off to some tutorials, I'll make a new thread (which wont be in SWING though) if I get stuck.

- Arjun
                • 5. Re: JApplet returning parameters ?
                  EJP
                  I don't know what it had to do with Swing in the first place, so I have moved it where it belonged.

Your confusion about where JSPs execute is alarming.