This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2011 8:26 AM by CKPT RSS

How to kill the session?.

875534 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
i am not a DBA. so i could not able to kill the session as the session is hanged. please tell me how to kill an user session.

Regards,
Loganathan S
  • 1. Re: How to kill the session?.
    Mark D Powell Guru
    A - Contact the DBA and ask them to kill the blocking session
    B - Contact the System Administrator and ask them to kill the Oracle session background process at the OS level

For A you can get all the information you need from v$session, For B I would join v$session to v$process.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --
  • 2. Re: How to kill the session?.
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;
    i am not a DBA. so i could not able to kill the session as the session is hanged. please tell me how to kill an user session.
    I wonder how you decide session is hanged or not if you are not dba? For your issue please contact wiht your dba and request info about session from him

Also see below which is mention how you can kill session(You can try Man kill command to see options)
    http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/misc/KillingOracleSessions.php

Regard
    Helios
  • 3. Re: How to kill the session?.
    CKPT Guru
    Hi,

Do you know which user session you have to kill?

Do you have permission to kill the session? - Normally these permissions will have by an DBA.

Why you want to kill the session? Causing any block/lock?

You have to get sid & serial of that perticular session and then kill that particular session.

Check sample link

http://www.dba-oracle.com/tips_killing_oracle_sessions.htm

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points