1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2011 11:39 PM by Deepak Gupta RSS

User Access to the Reports in obiee 11g

GTA
      Hi Friends,

How to implement Data security in RPD. I have a table with two columns username and Projects(For each User the project is defined in the table).

I need to implement the Security in such a way that the users respective to their projects has to see only those Corresponding Projects records in the reports in BI Answers(projects record). They should not see the other Projects Record.

How to build the security like that in obiee. i have never tried with the security in obiee so far. Can anyone help me to build the security according to my logic in obiee.

so user corresponding to the project has to view only the corresponding projects record in the report soon after they login.

This is my logic.

Thanks

All izz Well
      GTA
        • 1. Re: User Access to the Reports in obiee 11g
          Amith Y
          Hi GTA,

Please follow the follow steps to restrict users on the project dimension.

1) Create an init block to populate the list of project a user belongs to. You have to do this row - wise initialized as a user can belong to multiple projects.

Select 'PROJECT_NUMBER', project_number from w_project_d where UPPER(user_name)=UPPER(':USER');

2) Now as you have all the project numbers for a particular user in a variable, you can use that to filter on the dimension table.

3) In the rpd, go to the group/role - Permissions - Select the dimension table project - and put the following filter.

"Core"."Dim - Project.Project Number" = VALUEOF(NQ_SESSION.PROJECT_NUMBER)

That's it. Your security is now in place for projects.

Please assign points and mark answer as correct.

Thank you,
          -Amith.
          • 2. Re: User Access to the Reports in obiee 11g
            GTA
            Hi Amith,

Thanks for your reply ill follow all your steps of implementing my logic behind.

But one more thing Amith. I have never worked with the security in obiee so far and entirely it appears new thing to me. Is there any other step by step link which is explaining about what are all the security features available in obiee 11g, so that i can also able to learn the several ways.

Before that how i worked in obiee means, for each and every rpd ill be login as a Administrator in Bi answers and ill be viewing the reports, but as a user i never logged into the BI answers, and according to the users the reports will be restricted and all stuff.

Thanks for your support, ill try your way for my logic and will implement it asap.

Once again Thanks for your timely help.

All izz Well
            GTA
            • 3. Re: User Access to the Reports in obiee 11g
              Amith Y
              Hi GTA,

The PDF in the below link shows the basic security setup within obiee 10g and 11g. All setup steps with screen shots.

Based on setting up a user and attaching them to a group so that data can be filtered.

OBIEE 10g Setup
              OBIEE 11g Setup

Setup Users / Groups - Weblogic
              Setup Roles / OEM
              Setup Data Filters based on Roles

http://www.box.net/shared/5ef1alb2sp

Also refer to these two great articles on the security in OBIEE 11g:

http://blogs.oracle.com/robreynolds/entry/security_in_obiee_11g_part_1
              http://blogs.oracle.com/robreynolds/entry/security_in_obiee_11g_part_2

Here is a nice article from Mark Rittman on the overview of security in OBIEE 11g:

http://www.rittmanmead.com/2010/10/obiee-11gr1-security-explained-an-11g-security-overview/

You can also refer to the security guide from Oracle documentation:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E14571_01/bi.1111/e10543/toc.htm

Study the above links and you should get a clear idea on the security.

Regards,
              -Amith.
              • 4. Re: User Access to the Reports in obiee 11g
                GTA
                Hi Amith,

Thanks for those useful links. It gave me an idea of how to implement security in obiee11g. And also for my logic behind the security i have followed all the steps given by you. But it didnt worked i think i was missing something in it.

These are the steps i have followed

<li> Firstly i have created a table User_Access with Username and Project Number column. In that i have 8 users and i have 8 project number corresponding to that user(In that there is also different users with the same project number too, (i.e) three members with a same project number). After that i imported that table to the RPD, and have given necessary physical joins with the Fact table that i have.

<li> Secondly what i did is, since im working in obiee 11g. i have created Users and assigned Users to the respective Groups in weblogic, and also i have created a Role in EM and attached the group to each Role.

<li> Thirdly, what i did is i created a session Initialization Variables and given the query given as you said
                Select 'PROJECT_NUMBER', project_number from xxbi_user_access where UPPER(user_name)=UPPER(':USER');
                Soon after given that "Test" Button is diabled and i couldnt able to test the results of that query, and after that i pressed the button '*Edit Data Target*' and checked the Row Initialization as you said.

<li> Finally what i did is Totally i have three Application Roles

*) Industrial Maintainence Role---Belonged User(RS, SH)
                *) Oil & Gas Role---Belonged User(XX, ZZ)
                *) Shipyard Role---Belonged User(YY)

I have double clicked the each and every role and applied the data filters for each role as said by giving the following query
                "BISAMPLE"."W_PROJECT_D.Project Number" = VALUEOF(NQ_SESSION.PROJECT_NUMBER)
                i have setted the above filter for all the three Roles.

After that i logged into analytics page with the Username: RH. Soon after logged in it has to show only the Industrial Maintainence Projects Report, but Amith for me it didnt showed anything inside the BI answers.

I dont know what i missed over here. I need your support for it Amith

Kindly help me with this.

GTA.
                • 5. Re: User Access to the Reports in obiee 11g
                  Deepak Gupta
                  GTA,

Was just going thru your post. Till now you have setup Data Level Security. You also need to set Oject Level Security as per your prjt requirements. If you are not able to see any Subject Area in answers then assign the privileges to users/grps.

http://gerardnico.com/wiki/dat/obiee/privilegeadmin

Good if you can refer to OBIEE 11g Admin Guide.
                  • 6. Re: User Access to the Reports in obiee 11g
                    GTA
                    Hi Deepak,

Thanks for the reply yes there is no subject area for the user who i logged into the analytics page.

I have logged in as a administrator and also have given access to the Answers for my Application Roles, then too it is not showing any subject area for that user.

GTA
                    • 7. Re: User Access to the Reports in obiee 11g
                      Deepak Gupta
                      check for the Subject Area access as well...
                      • 8. Re: User Access to the Reports in obiee 11g
                        GTA
                        Hi,

yes i have choosed it also, but the subject area is not at all visible.

What mistake did i made in it

Thanks

GTA
                        • 9. Re: User Access to the Reports in obiee 11g
                          Deepak Gupta
                          try giving it to everyone first in both RPD Permissions & Manage Privileges and then check...Just play arnd I'd say.
                          • 10. Re: User Access to the Reports in obiee 11g
                            GTA
                            Hi Deepak,

In Rpd Permissions also i have given object permission as Read/Write for the My Role. Then too the subject area didnt appeared for me in analytics page when i logged into with Respective user.

What may be the issue

All izz Well
                            GTA
                            • 11. Re: User Access to the Reports in obiee 11g
                              Deepak Gupta
                              Hmm..Strange !! Did u try bouncing back the servers ?
                              • 12. Re: User Access to the Reports in obiee 11g
                                GTA
                                Hi deepak,

I dont know how to bounce back the server. do you mean to restart the biserver or something else of bouncing.

GTA
                                • 13. Re: User Access to the Reports in obiee 11g
                                  Deepak Gupta
                                  Restarting BI services
                                  • 14. Re: User Access to the Reports in obiee 11g
                                    GTA
                                    Hi Deepak,

I have restarted the services too, then also there is no any change.

Can you please verify the steps that i followed as Amith Suggested, is there anything im missing. Could you get to my scenario.

All izz Well
                                    GTA
                                    1 2 Previous Next