1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 11:20 AM by AFriendlyUsername RSS

ExtJS Grid and Apex

I have been experimenting quite a bit with ExtJS and unfortunately hit a roadblock and thought of getting help from this forum. I followed the directions given in this post Re: oracle apex and extjs grid table and was able to make it work. However the Grid is displaying outside the region where it has been defined as if it is independently rendering in its region of choice.

I could post the screen shot and don't know how to work around the restriction of this message board, not allowing any attachments.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
      Environment info: Apex 4.0
      Local host,
      ExtJS: 4.0.2

Thanks
      Raja
        • 1. Re: ExtJS Grid and Apex
          mark.lancaster
          Hi Raja

If you want to know how to implement the Ext JS Grid properly, you should really get my book.

See this grid demo and read about it on my blog at grid plugin.
          Its included with the demo application included in the books download files.

Regards

Mark

demo: http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=200801 |
          blog: http://oracleinsights.blogspot.com |
          book: Oracle Application Express 4.0 with Ext JS
          • 2. Re: ExtJS Grid and Apex
            Mark -

The example you have provided is exactly what my requirements state. I will be placing an order for your book shortly. Hopefully, I will get upto speed on ExtJS + Apex quickly as I am a convert from Microsoft for business needs.

By the way I noticed that your grid is not included in any region. Is yours a different implementation than using Apex Regions? or have you used custom region? Please advise.

Thanks
            Raja
            • 3. Re: ExtJS Grid and Apex
              mark.lancaster
              Hi Raja

My example uses a plugin region, which contains a standard region and report as a sub-region.

The region and report are absolutely standard, and use minimal html templates.
              The plugin region simply allows the developer to configure a couple of options, such as collapsible panel or not, and initial width of the region.

The plugin is designed to extend existing APEX functionality, so to convert an existing region would take literally a minute or so.

Since all the source code is provided and the book explains the development process, if it doesn't exactly meet your needs you can modify it to suit.

Regards

Mark

• 4. Re: ExtJS Grid and Apex
                Mark -

One more (perhaps last) question- does your book and the code work with ExtJS 4.0? It seems like there is a step change in how ExtJS 4.0 works and wonder if your examples work with that version.

Thanks again,
                Raja
                • 5. Re: ExtJS Grid and Apex
                  mark.lancaster
                  The book was written to use Ext JS 3.x, the latest production version at the time.

Some of the examples will work, some will require rework. Sencha have published a migration guide, including a <b>compatibility layer</b> that bootstraps existing Ext JS 3 code to run under Ext JS 4.

The book promotes the idea of not updating your application templates, instead having a template application which allows you to test your components before publishing a new version of the theme to the business application.

If you are just starting out, you could drop in the books theme as version 1 using Ext JS 3.x, get your team working on the application immediately, and have a dedicated resource working on theme version 2 using Ext JS 4.x.

Regards

Mark

• 6. Re: ExtJS Grid and Apex
                    AFriendlyUsername
                    I'm attempting to kill two birds with one stone and failing miserably - I'm going through your book and trying to learn ExtJS 4.0 at the same time. Things definitely do not work, in large part due to applyTo no longer being available in 4.0. It seems like the template code relies heavily on this functionality. Any suggestions/plans to put out another version of the book? :)

Attempts to use the #TITLE# substitution variable directly in the JavaScript are failing miserably. Help! :)

TIA for any assistance...
                    • 7. Re: ExtJS Grid and Apex
                      TexasApexDeveloper
                      I guess you HADN'T NOTICED that this thread is over a YEAR old.. Mark DOESN'T post here any longer and will NOT see your misdirected posting this thread..

PLEASE, PLEASE post a NEW THREAD and refer back to THIS thread if you need to..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
                      Ruckersville, VA
                      • 8. Re: ExtJS Grid and Apex
                        AFriendlyUsername
                        Interesting that you saw it within a day. SHOUTING aside, thank you for your suggestion.
                        • 9. Re: ExtJS Grid and Apex
                          TexasApexDeveloper
                          Also, since we are having such a fun time with this thread (sarcasm.. if you don't recognize it) Please change your username in the forum.. We are a friendly group and like to know who we are talking with.. (user2991026 is such an UNFRIENDLY name don't ya think??)

Thank you,

Tony Miller
                          Ruckersville, VA
                          • 10. Re: ExtJS Grid and Apex
                            AFriendlyUsername
                            Sarcasm noted and dismissed. My reception on this thread has been far less than friendly.
                            • 11. Re: ExtJS Grid and Apex
                              TexasApexDeveloper
                              Sorry you feel that way.. Would not want you to be offended, but in the same sense, you are in a forum where people FREELY give their time to help others with APEX support questions.. If you don't like the few simple rules that we ask people to follow, then you are free to go elsewhere looking for APEX help..

I for one, don't think its TOO much to ask of someone to have a more friendly forum username and NOT to post to old stale threads.. If you feel otherwise, so be it..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
                              Ruckersville, VA

PS: You can TRY and get a hold of the prior poster to this thread, don't know if he is willing to answer questions, but it can't hurt..
                              • 12. Re: ExtJS Grid and Apex
                                AFriendlyUsername
                                The suggestions are not too much to ask. The SHOUTING and sarcasm are extremely unfriendly, unwarranted, and unappreciated. Had I noticed that the thread was that old, I would have started a new one.
                                • 13. Re: ExtJS Grid and Apex
                                  AFriendlyUsername
                                  I have attempted to contact the author on other forums.

Edited by: user2991026 on Nov 8, 2012 8:34 AM
                                  • 14. Re: ExtJS Grid and Apex
                                    AFriendlyUsername
                                    I hope you like the new username, when the system gets around to using it.

Edited by: user2991026 on Nov 8, 2012 8:40 AM
                                    1 2 Previous Next