2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2011 5:36 AM by YoungWinston RSS

last changed data

Hi,

I have a data entry screen developped in java, where data comes and display in metrix fashion ,now end user can change in any cell of the row multiple times, now i have to send all the cell's data which got changed by end users to
      database,to complte the transaction. Please suggest me what can be the best way to do it.

Thanks
      Prashant
        • 1. Re: last changed data
          jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias
          How many rows? Min, max and average?

How many columns for each row? How many columns can be changed?

In general what type of data? Specifically are there any 'big' fields such a image values, xml, word docs, etc.
          • 2. Re: last changed data
            YoungWinston
            875178 wrote:
            I have a data entry screen developped in java, where data comes and display in metrix fashion ,now end user can change in any cell of the row multiple times, now i have to send all the cell's data which got changed by end users to database,to complte the transaction. Please suggest me what can be the best way to do it.
            Depends how complex you want to make it, but I'd probably just send the update as soon as the user updates a cell, and refresh the row display with the new db contents (assuming a row on the screen corresponds to a database row). It's crude, and may end up sending more data than strictly necessary; but it's dirt simple.

Saving up updates to minimize traffic may seem more optimized, but it imposes a whole pile of transactional headaches that may actually end up slowing things down.

Winston