3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 5:11 AM by 715920

How to change the location of Apex Listener?

Dear all,
      after I changed the directory of location of Apex Listener, I got
      Internal Error
      when tried to access Apex.

How to fix this problem?

regards,
      Val
        • 1. Re: How to change the location of Apex Listener?
          Actually I just found out that the error is not because of the directory change, but because of user change. When java -jar ./apex.war is executed by root, I can do it without problem otherwise I got internal error. What kind of environment do I need to execute this properly?
          • 2. Re: How to change the location of Apex Listener?
            Udo
            Hello Valerie,

probably this problem is caused by the file/directory access rights on the apex.home (the place where the APEX Listener stores its configuration). The default location would be ${java.io.tmpdir} which again defaults to */tmp/apex* in most cases. However, this is mostly a global location, not a user specific one. On the other hand, the files are created with write acces limited to the owner and read access limited to owner and group. So if you try to start with a different user, the APEX Listener tries to use the same location, but cannot access the files as needed and hence fails. root obviously will not have this problem, but I would recommend not to use this account for any service you run.
            You can set a start option to make the APEX Listener use a different location for apex.home that is read-/writable for your current user. This could like
            java -Dapex.home=/home/user/apex -jar ./apex.war
            Of course you can change the directory to any place that fits to your system.
            For more information on start parameters, you could take a look into the APEX Listeners Install and Development Guide.

-Udo
            • 3. Re: How to change the location of Apex Listener?
              Very nice! [thumbs up]

best regards,
              Val