2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2012 4:55 AM by 765612 RSS

invoking a bpm process with web services with a return value

Hello,

Im invoking a bpm process in my application using web services. The problem is that I want to get a responde with the process id of the created process, but not wait for the finishing of the process. Is this possible?

thank you
        • 1. Re: invoking a bpm process with web services with a return value
          user6370711
          Assuming this is for Oracle BPM 11g.

I'm a novice at this and sure others will have infinitely better ideas (have I lowered your expectations enough?), but here are two thoughts. Both of these ideas assume that your child process was invoked by an Oracle BPM parent process.

When you expose a process as a web service and invoke it asynchronously from a parent process, there is a call back service available. I've yet to figure out exactly how to get it to work, but if you look at the "Start" event's property in the composite (it's the service) you will see the callback information in the bottom dropdown. I believe what this means is that from your child process, you can use a Service activity to invoke a service that invokes the callback service back to the parent process's Service activity.

My other idea (you're not going to like this one) would be to to invoke the subprocess using a Message Start Event activity instead of the Service activity you're currently using. If you go this route, then you could have your parent process kick off the child subprocess using a Message Start Event activity and then immediately after this have a Message Catch Event activity. The child process could have a Message Throw Event activity immediately after its Start Message Event activity that sends a notification to the parent process. The good part about this is that I've actually gotten this to work.

You can send argument information back to the parent process, but (sorry) I don't yet know how to capture the process id.

Wish I could be of more help and hope this helps a little.
          • 2. Re: invoking a bpm process with web services with a return value
            I am looking to pass information between child process and parent process....do you have any samples/examples??

Regards
            Venkat