4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2011 11:08 PM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

different db block size replication

What technology can do replication of Oracle database between different db_block_size? say replicating 8k database to 32k database.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: different db block size replication
          JustinCave
          Either Streams or materialized views will replicate data between different databases with different block sizes. I assume given the architecture of GoldenGate that Oracle GoldenGate will also replicate data regardless of the block size of the two databases. Transportable tablespaces are also an option assuming you don't mind having different block sizes configured for the destination database (this is the only reason that you really ought to have multiple block sizes in a database).

Justin
          • 2. Re: different db block size replication
            Hemant K Chitale
            You need to clarify the question.

Are you planning to replicate selective tables / schemas such that transactions are propagated from one database to another ?
            Oracle Advanced Replication, Streams and GoldenGate are options.

Are you planning to take a physical clone of the whole database OR a Standby database ?
            Oracle Support has articles on using RMAN to clone a database to a different blocksize (on a supported platform that corresponds to the source platform) and recompiling objects in the database because of the change of wordsize.

Are you planning to create a "standby database" such that the SQL statements are reapplied at the standby site ?
            That is doable using Logical Standby.

Hemant K Chitale
            • 3. Re: different db block size replication
              Thanks guys.

Clone is not my option.

I'm looking at maintaining consistency of replicated/standby database with different db_block_size setting. Streams/Goldengate look like the solution to this but I didn't know logical dataguard can apply log/transaction to a standby db with different block size. Is that true?

Edited by: 876828 on 2/08/2011 21:07
              • 4. Re: different db block size replication
                Hemant K Chitale
                I didn't know logical dataguard can apply log/transaction to a standby db with different block size
                Technically it won't be supported. A Logical Standby is built from a Physical Standby which is configured with the same block size.

Hemant K Chitale