4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2011 7:55 AM by 642338

Loading HFM data to Hyperion Planning using FDM

Hi All

Has anyone ever used HFM as a data source for FDM?

Someone has asked me for the best way to get data from HFM into Hyperion Planning and whether FDM can manage that. I know there is a generic Pull adapter and the ERPi but I'm not sure whether either of those will do the job.

At the moment I am assuming that they will need to extract data from HFM to flat file and then import to FDM as a 2 stage process?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
      Stuart
        • 1. Re: Loading HFM data to Hyperion Planning using FDM
          TonyScalese
          Yes FDM can do this. I have implemented this at a number of clients. There are various approaches that you can take. A lot depends on which data from HFM needs to be transferred - e.g., Entity Currency, Parent Currency, Eliminations, base or base & parent members of the customs & ICP dimensions.

In general though, I have not found an instance where FDM could not do this. It does take some custom scripting but it can be done.
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Loading HFM data to Hyperion Planning using FDM
            Hi Tony

Thanks for coming back so quickly, I guess the devil is in the detail as you would need to know which of the HFM database tables to query?

As I understand it the HFM database tables are separated by Year and other POV characteristics (Scenario/View?). You also then have the DCE and DCN tables is that why you say is it base or base and parent?

Regards
            Stuart
            • 3. Re: Loading HFM data to Hyperion Planning using FDM
              TonyScalese
              I want to be crystal clear on this. I strongly discourage attempting to query the HFM database directly. There are a number of calculations that occur in RAM and are never stored in the DB. Going this route could result in incorrect data.
              • 4. Re: Loading HFM data to Hyperion Planning using FDM
                Hi Tony

Apologies for the delay (my email spammed the notification that you had replied, helpful!!). When you say that you have done it but discourage accessing the tables directly how did you achieve this? Were you just careful which data intersections your selected from the tables (e.g. always base level data so it is stored not calculated)?

I have used the HFM relational tables a couple of times to make use of the metadata that they contain but not tried to get data before.

Regards
                Stuart