6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 4:50 PM by Billy~Verreynne

SQL Developer: Failure -Test failed: IO Error: Network Adapter No Conn

SQL Developer: Failure -Test failed: IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection

Hi,

and sorry this is a really common questions and yes I did do a search, but I don't understand it.

First let me just tell you that Oracle 11g is installed on my second laptop on the same Network.

Secondly I can connect to the Database using Oracle SQL Developer on the laptop Oracle 11g is installed on.

The problem is I want to connect to the database on my main Laptop.

I put in the correct details Hostname 192.168.0.8 ( this is the laptop oracle is installed and running on)
      Port 1521
      SID dbarudu

****** YES I HAVE PORT FORWARDED
      ****** YES I HAVE ALLOWED 1521 on the FIREWALL
      ****** YES I HAVE EVEN SWITCHED OFF THE FIREWALL

Now one more thing you should know ... I don't know nothing about Oracle Servers ok.... so I have just installed Oracle 11g Enterprise and thought done it should be working now.

I just need to use oracle db for a project.

So keep in mind I am a total noob and terms like TNSPING etc mean absolutely nothing to me.
      So please help, but help with step by step guide on how to get Oracle to let me have access from another computer.
        • 1. Re: SQL Developer: Failure -Test failed: IO Error: Network Adapter No Conn
          Billy~Verreynne
          Oracle provides step-by-step installation guides for installing the Oracle RDBMS software and creating a database. So why are you asking that comprehensive and detailed documentation be rewritten for your convenience here?

From the sounds of it - you have a basic network connectivity problem. This means that your 2 platforms/notebooks cannot see each other on the network (not an Oracle product problem). Or it more likely means that the one is attempting to use a non-existing network service on the other - the Oracle Listener in this case.

Check if the Listener service is running on the platform that is running the database.
          • 2. Re: SQL Developer: Failure -Test failed: IO Error: Network Adapter No Conn
            LOL I have looked at the documentation... and read about the listener... but nothing make sense to me obviously coz again i have never used Oracle Server before...

and I didn't ask for a step by step guide to installing Oracle...
            I have already done that and if you read the question ...
            I CAN ACCESS THE DATABASE WITH SQL DEVELOPER ON THE LAPTOP THAT HAS THE DATABASE..
            that obviously means Listener is working...
            Now if I had to guess... I'd think maybe something to do with the localhost listener maybe needs to be remote listener?.. but again I have zero clue..
            doesn't exactly say in the documentation if you want to access oracle db remotely do this.

seriously if you guys wanna just point me to a documentation that makes no sense... then why do even bother having this forum?
            I dun have time to learn how to manage a oracle server the documentation is huge.

and now you had a possible answer of maybe the two laptops are not reading each other... it would have been great if you had provided some steps to confirm this by performing some sorta tests...
            but nah... you didnt wanna do that you were to busy tell me go read the documentation... does it say in the documentation how to see if two laptops are reading each other or not? ridiculas if you wanna help do it properly.

This is probably the worst forum i have been to... LOL GO READ THE DOCUMENTATION READ THE QUESTION before trying answering! it!
            • 3. Re: SQL Developer: Failure -Test failed: IO Error: Network Adapter No Conn
              Billy~Verreynne
              If the Listener is working, then you should not get the error SQL-Developer error you are reporting.

The listener typically runs using the hostname and port 1521. This means it opens tcp port 1521 on all IP addresses of that platform.

The database server by default will register itself with the local listener. Thus the listener will know the database SID, the database services, whether there are dispatchers to support shared server connections and so on.

The client side needs simply to specify 3 pieces of data to connect:
              - the IP of the database server
              - the tcp port of the listener
              - a database identifier (such as Oracle SID or service name) to connect to

It is really that simple.

If this does not work, the problem falls into 2 broad categories:
              a) incorrect installation and configuration of the Oracle software (the out-of-the-box install works unless messed up)
              b) some kind of networking issue

To troubleshoot any problem means reducing the complexity of the problem, eliminating multiple moving parts and focusing on specific ones, in order to isolate the problem.

For your problem, this will go something as follows:

- does the listener run? (check if the service is running and whether tcp connections are accepted on the listener port - telnet can be used for the latter)

- does the database successfully registers itself with the listener? (check the services command of the listener and relevant db initialisation parameters)

- does a local TNS (tcp network) connection work on that server? (use SQL*Plus and test on that platform client-server connectivity via tcp to the listener)

- does the client platform have connectivity with the server platform? (use ICMP and telnet to test)

- repeat the TNS test on the client platform using the same working TNS tested on the server platform

Do not use JDBC to test the connection - keep it simple and use sqlplus and the standard Oracle Call Interface (OCI). A full client version of the OCI plus sqlplus can be downloaded under the Oracle InstantClient downloads.

Finally - if you expect to simply install and use Oracle, then use the correct version. Oracle Express Edition aka Oracle XE. Installs and works out-of-the-box. The only manual config change to make is (as far as I recall) to run the listener on all IP addresses of that platform. And this required editing the listener.ora file, changing the HOST parameter and restarting the listener.

Also keep in mind that you have not presented an Oracle error code and Oracle error message. But a client application error message. And that message is pretty much meaningless - it does not point to a specific Oracle networking or Oracle server problem. To diagnose that, we expect a TNS or ORA error number.
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: SQL Developer: Failure -Test failed: IO Error: Network Adapter No Conn
                Well if anyone has faced the same problems... I just got it to work...
                I went to the Enterprise Manager and in the Listener I added in there 192.168.0.8(this is the laptop thats running the Oracle 11g Server) and port 1521 seems to be working now :P
                which is great.
                • 5. Re: SQL Developer: Failure -Test failed: IO Error: Network Adapter No Conn
                  hey

sorry didn't really know what edition i should have been using soo yeah, like i did with MS SQL Server 2008 i just installed the the best one i could find and worked out fine LOL.

hmm also i wanna ask one more thing.. when you say edit the listener to listen to all IP's what do you mean.. e.g. in there it has localhost 1521 and now i added 192.168.0.8 1521 soo if i want to to be able to listen to all IP's what do i have in there? i dun have access to someone elses computer soo i can't really confirm if atm it can be used from outside my network

thanks.

EDIT: Thanks, it seems adding that 192.168.0.8, seems to have opened it to all IP's asked my friend to try connecting seems its working :) thank you very much for your help thanks.

Edited by: Rudurk on 08-Aug-2011 08:29
                  • 6. Re: SQL Developer: Failure -Test failed: IO Error: Network Adapter No Conn
                    Billy~Verreynne
                    Rudurk wrote:

hmm also i wanna ask one more thing.. when you say edit the listener to listen to all IP's what do you mean.. e.g. in there it has localhost 1521 and now i added 192.168.0.8 1521 soo if i want to to be able to listen to all IP's what do i have in there?
                    If you use the hostname of the machine, or IP address +0.0.0.0+, then it instructs the listener to listen on all IPs on that machine - or any new IPs that may be created dynamically (like PPoE).

If you enter any other dotted IP, that instructs the listener to only use that IP.

The default (with most servers, ranging from mail to web to database) is to use the hostname - and make that server available on all IPs of that machine.