This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 14, 2011 3:51 PM by EJP RSS

trusted.certs question with regards to Installation and Upgrading Java

882289 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Greetings,
Thank you to all who take the time to read this especially those who can provide some answers!

Question #1:
I read that trusted.certs was not backwards compatible for Java. By this I mean that a "Java Runtime 6 Update 11" generated trusted.certs could not be read / used by "Java Runtime 6 Update 26". Is this correct?

Question #2:
Part A: Does a fresh install of Java create the trusted.certs file upon installation or at the time Java is first run after install?
Part B: When the trusted.certs is created does it do a file check to see if trusted.certs file already exists? If so does it delete and generate a fresh trusted.certs or does it leave the existing file?

Reason I ask this is that we are getting a java.io.FileNotfoundException for the trusted.certs file. This I believe to be caused by a failed upgrade of Java. When uninstalling "Java Runtime 6 Update 26" it displays "Java Runtime 6 Update 11". This leads me to believe that the trusted.certs is still for Update 11 and not Update 26 which would cause this error even after a fresh install of Java.

I would love your input and knowledge! Thank you again for your time!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points