1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 15, 2011 11:18 PM by Levi Pereira

PSU for Oracle Restart 11.2.0.1 AIX 6.1

user275290
      Hi Gurus,

I have applied the patch 9655006 to GI for standalone i,e Oracle Restart.The patch went through fine but changed the owner on the grid directory and permissions.The grid directory under /u01/app/11.2.0/grid should be owned by root, instead after patch its owned by grid now .

Let me breakdown the steps that i performed for patch aplication.

1)Unlocked the grid home as root using command "roothas.pl -unlock"
      2)Applied PSU patch as grid user(grid) using command opatch apply .The patch was applied successfully.
      3)tried locking the grid home again using comand "roothas.pl -patch"
      the command failed with the error "u01/app/11.2.0/grid/bin/crsctl[158]: /u01/app/11.2.0/grid/bin/crsctl.bin: cannot execute".

4)Tried rolling back the patch with command "opatch rollback -id 9655006" failed with error Copy failed from '/u01/app/11.2.0/grid/.patch_storage/9655006_Jul_6_2010_12_27_31/files/bin/oradnssd' to '/u01/app/11.2.0/grid/bin/oradnssd'...

5)Gave execute privilege recursively in GI-home/ bin directory and the Oracle Restart Stack came up.

My concerned is how the privileges got changed and how safe/consistent is the environment now after patch?what would be the impact of this on my existing environment?

ls -ld /u01/app/11.2.0/grid
      drwxr-xr-x 66 grid oinstall 4096 Aug 12 11:24 /u01/app/11.2.0/grid

Please any inputs would be really appreciated.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: PSU for Oracle Restart 11.2.0.1 AIX 6.1
          Levi Pereira
          Hi,
          822424 wrote:
          Hi Gurus,

I have applied the patch 9655006 to GI for standalone i,e Oracle Restart.The patch went through fine but changed the owner on the grid directory and permissions.The grid directory under /u01/app/11.2.0/grid should be owned by root, instead after patch its owned by grid now .

Let me breakdown the steps that i performed for patch aplication.

1)Unlocked the grid home as root using command "roothas.pl -unlock"
          2)*Applied PSU patch as grid user(grid) using command opatch apply .The patch was applied successfully.*
          3)tried locking the grid home again using comand "roothas.pl -patch"
          the command failed with the error "u01/app/11.2.0/grid/bin/crsctl[158]: /u01/app/11.2.0/grid/bin/crsctl.bin: cannot execute".

4)Tried rolling back the patch with command "opatch rollback -id 9655006" failed with error Copy failed from '/u01/app/11.2.0/grid/.patch_storage/9655006_Jul_6_2010_12_27_31/files/bin/oradnssd' to '/u01/app/11.2.0/grid/bin/oradnssd'...

5)Gave execute privilege recursively in GI-home/ bin directory and the Oracle Restart Stack came up.
          Did you read README of Patch?

OPatch Automation for GI
          The utility (opatch) must be executed by an operating system (OS) user with root privileges (usually user root), and it must be executed on each node in the cluster.

Patching the Oracle Restart Home
          Before patching the Oracle Restart home, keep the Oracle Restart stack up and running.
          To patch the Oracle Restart home, as an administrative user (usually root user) execute a command in the following format:
          #opatch auto <UNZIPPED_PATCH_LOCATION> -oh <path to Oracle Restart home>

So, opatch with root privileges unlock and relock the GRID_HOME automatically.

This patch must be applied using an administrative user (usually root user).
          My concerned is how the privileges got changed and how safe/consistent is the environment now after patch?what would be the impact of this on my existing environment?
          Did you take backup of Grid Home before patch?

Backup of the Oracle home can be taken using any preferred method. You can use any tool such as zip, tar, and cpio to compress the Oracle home. It is highly recommended to take a backup of Oracle home binaries while applying patch set(s) or patches. You should also backup the Central Inventory where the Oracle home is installed, while taking backup of the Oracle Home.

If you have backup of Oracle Home then you can restore all files of GRID HOME (Oracle Restart) and apply patch using root user.

Regards,
          Levi Pereira

Edited by: Levi Pereira on Aug 15, 2011 8:14 PM