4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2011 3:37 PM by 882955 RSS

Solaris Express Login Problem

Hello,
      I'm a complete rookie with Sun & Solaris, so any help someone could offer would be greatly appreciated!

I have a SunBlade 1500 (SPARC) that I purchased from university surplus. The hard drive was wiped, so I needed to install an OS. I don't have a DVD burner, so I downloaded Solaris Express Text Install, because it was the only OS I could find that would work with SPARC & could be burned to CD. Installation went fine, & the hard drive now boots to the disk. But here is my problem:

At bootup, I am asked to login, and I don't know what to do. During install, I had to make several entries for passwords & such. The "computer name" is solaris, and the "root password" is sunblade1500. I entered Bugs Bunny for "real name", Bugs for "user name", and bugs123 for "user password". I've tried all different combinations of these when prompted for login, but the only ones that seem to work and not give a "login incorrect" message are when I use either "Bugs" or "Bugs Bunny" as login, and "bugs123" as password.

Here is verbatim text of what the screen shows when I try to login with these entries:

solaris console login: Bugs
      Password: bugs123
      Last login: Wed Aug 17 14:06:41 on console
      Oracle Corporation SunOS 5.11 snv_151a November 2010
      Bugs@solaris:~$

After the last line (Bugs@solaris:~$), it just sits there with a prompt for me to enter something to go further, and I don't know what to enter. I've tried root, boot, startx and none of those work. What am I doing wrong, please? Thank you VERY much!
        • 1. Re: Solaris Express Login Problem
          rukbat
          879952 wrote:

At bootup, I am asked to login, and I don't know what to do. During install, I had to make several entries for passwords & such. The "computer name" is solaris, and the "root password" is sunblade1500. I entered Bugs Bunny for "real name", Bugs for "user name", and bugs123 for "user password". I've tried all different combinations of these when prompted for login, but the only ones that seem to work and not give a "login incorrect" message are when I use either "Bugs" or "Bugs Bunny" as login, and "bugs123" as password.

Here is verbatim text of what the screen shows when I try to login with these entries:

solaris console login: Bugs
          Password: bugs123
          Last login: Wed Aug 17 14:06:41 on console
          Oracle Corporation SunOS 5.11 snv_151a November 2010
          Bugs@solaris:~$

After the last line (Bugs@solaris:~$), it just sits there with a prompt for me to enter something to go further, and I don't know what to enter. I've tried root, boot, startx and none of those work. What am I doing wrong, please? Thank you VERY much!
          You haven't done anything wrong.
          You are logged in as the user bugs* and the system is sitting at a command-line OS prompt.

... I downloaded Solaris Express Text Install, because it was the only OS I could find that would work with SPARC & could be burned to CD. Installation went fine, & the hard drive now boots to the disk. But here is my problem:
          You pulled the text-only distribution.
          It's a full UNIX but you won't have a GUI.
          The install files for the GUI are too much to fit on a CD.

I think it may be time for you to go buy some books.
          You can also consider crawling Oracle's site for Solaris documentation.
          Start here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris/overview/index.html

You can also glance at the documentation for your system.
          Start here: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E19127-01/index.html

--
          Perhaps others will choose to comment on your initial post as well.
          • 2. Re: Solaris Express Login Problem
            Thank you. I'm sure the GUI interface would be a lot easier for me to figure out. I'm going to order the DVD Media Pack for Solaris 10 from Oracle's website.
            • 3. Re: Solaris Express Login Problem
              rukbat
              Solaris-on-SPARC has been 64-bit since the mid 1990s.
              Solaris 10 was never compatible with older 32-bit SPARC cpu systems and was always 64-bit.
              There should NOT be such a choice for the SPARC media kit.

The Intel (which means AMD as well) media kits could have both choices, though.

A comment, however...
              While I can appreciate that having an official commercially produced set of media has a lot of value, don't you have any aquaintances at school that can pull down the install ISOs and burn them to DVD for you? You supply the blank media and a pizza-with-beverage, and they create the install disks for you.
              • 4. Re: Solaris Express Login Problem
                Thanks again for your info. I just modified my earlier question about whether 32 or 64 bit, prior to reading your response, because I found the spec sheet for the 1500 & it says 64-bit. Sorry to waste your time. On the order page for Solaris Media, there's a drop-down tab asking whether OS is SPARC 32 or 64-bit, or x86-64. You're apparently supposed to select one of those options. But, reading further right below that, it says "Important: Media for the above platforms are packaged together, it is not necessary to order separately", and that the kit contains two DVD's, one for SPARC 32/64 & the other for x86. So, I don't know why they ask what OS version above that, it seems pointless.

As for having someone else d/l & burn the DVD images, I suppose I could find someone to do that, but I'm not in school, just some old guy trying to fumble through this, so it's probably a lot more expeditious & less hassle for me to just buy them, instead of depending on someone else. The media from Oracle is just $20, so I guess that's worth it to me to get OEM disks that I know will work.