8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2012 3:03 AM by 922042 RSS

Can not access to Guest Oracle VM Server

HI all

I have installed Oracle VM Server on VMWare ESX 4.1.
      Oracle VM Server 's IP is 192.168.121.65
      I have installed OVM_EL5U5_X86_EBIZ12.1.3_APPS_PROD_PVM and OVM_EL5U5_X86_EBIZ12.1.3_DB_PROD_PVM on Oracle VM Server
      OVM_EL5U5_X86_EBIZ12.1.3_APPS_PROD_PVM 's IP is 192.168.121.22
      OVM_EL5U5_X86_EBIZ12.1.3_DB_PROD_PVM 's IP is 192.168.121.23
      My PC's IP is: 192.168.121.5
      Firewall on My PC, OVM_EL5U5_X86_EBIZ12.1.3_DB_PROD_PVM and OVM_EL5U5_X86_EBIZ12.1.3_DB_PROD_PVM is off.

On Oracle VM Server, I can ping to 192.168.81.22 & 23
      On my PC, I can ping to 192.168.81.65. But I can not ping to 192.168.81.22 & 23.
      Other way, I can ping to to 192.168.81.22 & 23 by using nmap -sP command.

Why can't ping from my PC?
      Who can help me?

Thankyou and best regards,
      thiensu2810
        • 1. Re: Can not access to Guest Oracle VM Server
          Pascal Kreyer -Oracle
          I'm not sure that we support Oracle VM server installed over an another virtualization software.
          • 2. Re: Can not access to Guest Oracle VM Server
            Avi Miller-Oracle
            user8248216 wrote:
            I have installed Oracle VM Server on VMWare ESX 4.1.
            Oracle VM Server is a bare-metal hypervisor like ESX. It is not designed to run as a guest of VMware ESX, so I'm not surprised it's not working.
            • 3. Re: Can not access to Guest Oracle VM Server
              Are you sure that Oracle VM Server not designed to run as a guest of VMware ESX?
              • 4. Re: Can not access to Guest Oracle VM Server
                Avi Miller-Oracle
                user8248216 wrote:
                Are you sure that Oracle VM Server not designed to run as a guest of VMware ESX?
                Yes, absolutely 100% sure. Oracle VM Server is a bare-metal hypervisor just like ESX. You wouldn't run ESX on ESX, would you?
                • 5. Re: Can not access to Guest Oracle VM Server
                  Hi Avi Miller

Are you a member of Oracle Group?
                  • 6. Re: Can not access to Guest Oracle VM Server
                    Avi Miller-Oracle
                    user8248216 wrote:
                    Are you a member of Oracle Group?
                    Yes, I'm a Principal Program Manager for Oracle Linux and Oracle VM. :)
                    • 7. Re: Can not access to Guest Oracle VM Server
                      Hi Avi Miller. Thankyou for supporting.
                      • 8. Re: Can not access to Guest Oracle VM Server
                        I'd like to object to Avi Millers comment on inability of running a hypervisor inside a hypervisor.
                        There is no technical reasons for a hypervisor to not run inside another hypervisor. The only problems in this scenario are the same as running it on a bare metal: supported hardware.
                        Take for example the ESXi 3.5-4: you need very specific network cards or doing some serious driver hacks to get it installed on a barematel with "fancy" network cards. (as in desktop class hardware)

So the only reason to not be able to run an hypervisor inside another hypervisor, is basically the supported hardware.

Now comes issue 2, which is more like using hypervisor features: specifically, direct hardware virtualization/passthrough. Obviously, in order for the guest hypervisor to be able to passthrough a pci card for example, it requires the host hypervisor to first be able to pass that card through.
                        I haven't tested this setup but in theory if both are working ok as bare metals, there shouldn't be any issue in passing it through as host-guest, unless there are bugs in one or both of the hypervisors.

After all, a virtual machine tries to mimic a bare matel.

All that being said, here is my thread on this specific subject for the OP of accessing the oracle virtual machine running inside oracle VM which is running inside vmware ESXi:
                        No internet/LAN access from/to outside and domU

(yes, a bit late, but as I found this thread (and quite a few others) a couple of weeks ago when searching on my problem, other will too. The reason I am posting here is that Avi Miller looks the right person to be informed about this so he can inform others too :)

The key to the problem was network card promiscuous mode. Other than that, I'm running my 2 node templated RAC insinde OVM inside ESXi just fine. Of course, I am now converting these 2 to vmware virtual machines as there is no other practical sense for this setup other than installing oracle virtual machine templates. Aside from testing things, of course.

One thing is for sure though: the age of installing oracle from scratch on vmware has dawn.