This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2013 5:58 AM by jb000308 RSS

SQL developer wont start on Mac OSX Lion

macmanxie Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi there,

hoping someone can help me with this one, I've been running SQL Developer 3 on the macbook no problems for about a year, I recently upgraded to Mac OSX Lion and now when I try to start SQL Developer it will not run.

I have downloaded and installed the latest version of java as directed on the SQL Developer download page.

When I start SQL developer and view the Activity Monitor the "bash" process starts to use 100% CPU very quickly and SQL developer does not even get to the splash screen.

Can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of diagnosing this issue? Is there a log file I can review or way of starting SQL developer with specific arguments?

Kind regards,
stu
  • 1. Re: SQL developer wont start on Mac OSX Lion
    Jim Smith Expert
    You can try just running the shell script from the command line. That ought to produce some clues.
  • 2. Re: SQL developer wont start on Mac OSX Lion
    macmanxie Newbie
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for this, I've run from the command line and am presented with the following message:

Type the full pathname of a J2SE installation (or Ctrl-C to quit), the path will be stored in ~/.sqldeveloper/jdk

there is no jdk folder in that directory so wasn't too sure what to. Having a dig around I have set the following in the sqldeveloper.conf file

SetJavaHome /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0_26-b03-383.jdk/Contents/Home/bin

it was originally pointing to ../../jdk

which like i say doesn't exist so I thought I would point it to java on the OS. However I still receive the same error when running from the command line.

This is really frustrating as am sure it is a simple config issue but cant find it and the mac OS makes it difficult to get to things the way it installs apps.

regards,
    stu
  • 3. Re: SQL developer wont start on Mac OSX Lion
    Jim Smith Expert
    I'm not a mac user but that path looks wrong. The correct value is top level installation directory for the JDK (without the bin). For example on my windows box it is

SetJavaHome C:\oracle\product\sqldeveloper\jdk

Try removing the bin from the end of the path.
  • 4. Re: SQL developer wont start on Mac OSX Lion
    Irian Pro
    Usually the SetJavaHome points to the root directory for the JVM installation, this directory in your case appears to be
    /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0_26-b03-383.jdk/Contents/Home
    so try setting this in the SetJavaHome command for your SQL Developer (the bin folder will be added internally)

I'm not completely sure as i do not use macs, but it's worth a try.
  • 5. Re: SQL developer wont start on Mac OSX Lion
    346704 Newbie
    SQL Developer runs for me on my Lion Macbook. Corresponding Java home looks like:

/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home

Here is how my conf file is set up:

AddVMOption -Dcom.apple.mrj.application.apple.menu.about.name="SQL_Developer"
    AddVMOption -Dcom.apple.mrj.application.growbox.intrudes=false
    AddVMOption -Dcom.apple.macos.smallTabs=true
    AddVMOption -Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true
    SetSkipJ2SDKCheck true
    SetJavaHome /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home
    AddVMOption -Xbootclasspath/p:../../rdbms/jlib/ojdi.jar

(/Applications/SQLDeveloper.app/Contents/Resources/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin/sqldeveloper-Darwin.conf)

Good luck!

-- Andrew Wolfe
  • 6. Re: SQL developer wont start on Mac OSX Lion
    macmanxie Newbie
    Thanks Guys,

Removed the /bin from the Java path which was one thing, but it was the fact I was editing the wrong file that was the real problem! Thanks Andrew for pointing me in the direction of the sqldeveloper-Darwin.conf file, I was editing the sqldeveloper.conf file, anyway the edits made to the Darwin file resulted in SQL developer firing up and runnings as expected.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Regards,
    Stu
  • 7. Re: SQL developer wont start on Mac OSX Lion
    986505 Newbie
    To help the next guy out, here was my fix to the same issue:

In the file: */Applications/SQLDeveloper.app/Contents/Resources/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin/sqldeveloper-Darwin.conf*

I updated the 6th line to: SetJavaHome /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_11.jdk/Contents/Home

After that, SQLDeveloper opened up just fine :)
  • 8. Re: SQL developer wont start on Mac OSX Lion
    Earl Lewis Journeyer

Irian wrote:

Usually the SetJavaHome points to the root directory for the JVM installation, this directory in your case appears to be
    /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0_26-b03-383.jdk/Contents/Home
    so try setting this in the SetJavaHome command for your SQL Developer (the bin folder will be added internally)

I'm not completely sure as i do not use macs, but it's worth a try.

Just had this same problem with Mountain Lion/SQL Developer 3.2.2, right after my upgrade to Mountain Lion. The path shown in Irian's response is what did the trick for me. The /System/Library/.... path shown by some others doesn't even exist on my machine. Interesting....

Earl

• 9. Re: SQL developer wont start on Mac OSX Lion
    jb000308 Newbie

That did it for me

Thanks

JiF

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points