3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2013 7:25 AM by 993253 RSS

Failed to connect to database instance: ORA-28001: the password has expired

Hi All,

i am on oracle 11g Grid.

I am getting Failed to connect to database instance: ORA-28001: the password has expired (DBD ERROR: OCISessionBegin) error.

I checked and found that my dbsnmp user password expired. I found page on grid control to change password of dbsnmp user.

but I want to know. If I changed dbsnmp password using grid control. Is there any other task I have to do after changing dbsnmp user password.

Please let me know.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Failed to connect to database instance: ORA-28001: the password has expired
          EricvdS
          Hi PK,

If GC can use the DBSNMP account again to connect to the monitored database I can't think of anything else you should do.
          The database this happened to is a 11g database? If so the security policy has been changed in this version, meaning in half a year you will have a locked DBSNMP account again.

If your company security policy permits you can prevent this by changing the password_life_time to unlimited of the default profile:
          alter profile default limit password_life_time unlimited;

Eric
          • 2. Re: Failed to connect to database instance: ORA-28001: the password has expired
            Thanks for your reply. Yes I updated DBSNMP password and changed profile. it all looking good now.
            • 3. Re: Failed to connect to database instance: ORA-28001: the password has expired
              I am working on Oracle 11g Database... I got this error message ORA-28001: the password has expired (DBD ERROR: OCISessionBegin). I was able connect to the oracle database from DOS command prompt, which prompt me the (SQL command prompt) and then I issued this following message:

SQL> ALTER USER SYSTEM IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD ACCOUNT UNLOCK;
              system altered.

I exited out of SQL PLUS and I tried to connect back to the database, I got this error message....Invalid username/password; logon denied.

Please how can I resolve this issue to enable me to connect to the database...... Your immediately response will be highly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!!!

Edited by: 990250 on Feb 26, 2013 5:24 AM