2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2011 6:48 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

Installing Oracle 11g Express Edition

Hello,

I am a little new to this, but I'm trying to install a local database server onto my laptop to use for my OCA preparations...
      I was hoping someone can explain what I'm doing wrong... I'll try and provide as much information as I can.

I downloaded Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2 (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/express-edition/downloads/index.html) and installed it... Unzipped the file to Disk 1 folder and ran setup.exe. Got the prompted and left everything with their default values and the install went fine.
      Tried to run the "Get Started With Oracle Database 11g Express Edition" from my desktop and it tries to open up APEX on 127.0.0.1:8080 and that fails (cannot establish a connection).
      I tried starting up the database with the command provided in the Oracle Database 11g Express Edition folder and then went to "Run SQL Command Line". Tried to connect to the database with system/<password> and it returns an ORA-01089 error - immediate shutdown in progress.

I have already installed Oracle - OraHome92 in the past for work on the machine as just a client...

Is this simply an issue of restarting the computer to get all of the services working properly?
      Do I need to install the full blown 11g database from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html instead?
      I just want to be able to create the simple schemas and tables that the textbook says are provided and not do it on the company servers...

Any information or links to getting this set up would be greatly appreciated.
      If you need me to provide any more details, I will do my best and give you the information as well...

Thank you very much in advance for your time.
      Regards,
      Ivan
        • 1. Re: Installing Oracle 11g Express Edition
          Svetoslav Gyurov
          Hi Ivan,

I think in you're case its better to keep with the Express edition. You could have it on you're notebook everywhere, It's not so heavy and doesn't requires a lot of space, but you still have all the Oracle database behaviour.

Regarding the Apex URL you should put one /apex/ at the end of the URL and then login with admin and password you've entered during installation.

Regarding the error this means that the database is in progress of shutting down. Open command prompt and run adrci (Automatic Diagnostic Repository Command Interface), then type show alert and then select the number 1 (should be something like diag/rdbms/xe/XE). Once the new windows opens up scroll to the bottom and you'll see the last event which occurred in the database.

Either way you could try restarting you're computer and then start the service when it boots up.

Regards,
          Sve
          • 2. Re: Installing Oracle 11g Express Edition
            Srini Chavali-Oracle
            Pl identify OS details - and confirm it is one of the supported ones listed in the Install Guides - http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17781_01/index.htm

HTH
            Srini