7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2011 4:22 PM by Gary Graham-Oracle RSS

SQL Developer with OpenJDK 6 on Windows

I've been using OpenJDK 6 for Windows (binaries from http://www.openscg.org/se/index.jsp) for many tasks, including some small production systems. But SQL Developer refuses to run with it. It tells it needs at minimum Java 1.6.0_04 while my OpenJDK is build 21. It looks a bug on SQL Developer JVM version identification, because I can't imagine why it wouldn't run with OpenJDK or any other certified Java implementation. Is there any way to force it to run without the version check?
        • 1. Re: SQL Developer with OpenJDK 6 on Windows
          Gary Graham-Oracle
          Hi,

It seems that OpenSCG has not followed the version naming standards here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/versioning_naming.html

The first line from the java -version command shows this:

OpenSCG: openjdk version "1.6.0-OpenSCG-Build-21"
          Java 1.6.0_26: java version "1.6.0_26"
          Java 1.7 initial release (OpenJDK project-based): java version "1.7.0"

So, not to say that SQL Developer couldn't be made to handle it better, but perhaps the bug should be filed against OpenSCG.

Regards,
          Gary Graham
          SQL Developer Team
          • 2. Re: SQL Developer with OpenJDK 6 on Windows
            Hi Gary,

Nice to have the developers monitoring the foruns. Thanks a lot.

I'll follow you sugestion and ask the OpenSCG mantainers to update the version string to something like "1.6.0_21-OpenSCG". That would be acceptable, correct?

But as I understand the document you quoted is not part of the JCP standards, it's not part of the Java platform standards. It's about an specific product. So SQL Developers was not made to run on any standard, certified Java implementation. It was made to run only on Oracle (before Sun) Java product. :-(

Funy that accordingto http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/certification-096745.html no Oracle JDK release would pass the version test:

"Oracle SQL Developer is certified against JDK 1.6.11 or above."

There is NO JDK 1.6.11, it would be 1.6.0_11, am I right? ;-)

By the way, I am curious: why requiring a specific JDK update level, and not a standard compliance level? I searched for but could not find this information on SQL Developer web site.

I found a simple workaround: instead of sqldeveloper.exe on sqldeveloper install home, use sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.bat. I even changed the bat file to invoke javaw.exe instead of java.exe so I won't get the ugly Command Prompt window. So far it's running fine here under OpenSCG OpenJDK build for windows. :-)))

Please, consider making SQLDeveloper running without hacks on any open openjdk build.

[]s, Fernando Lozano
            • 3. Re: SQL Developer with OpenJDK 6 on Windows
              Gary Graham-Oracle
              Hi Fernando,

Very glad to hear you found a workaround. Others searching this forum will no doubt find it very useful.

A debug run through our version check code shows it's only interested in digits, dots, and underscores, ignoring everything else. So even our own algorithm does not conform to the java.sun.com doc (which pre-dates by far Oracle's acquisition of Sun) on standard version strings. The key is having an underscore appear before the update number (_21). SQL Developer will not care if it comes before or after the other OpenSCG verbiage.

As for using JDK compliance levels, I'm not so sure. Eclipse only uses two digits (1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7) for its Java Compiler property setting. Oracle JDeveloper and SQL Developer require a version check to guard against Java bugs pertaining to specific update levels within a major Java release. But perhaps the compliance level standard supports a finer granularity, down to the update level.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,
              Gary
              • 4. Re: SQL Developer with OpenJDK 6 on Windows
                Hi, could you point me to information about specific bugs sql developer needs to work around by cheching the Oracle Java product update level?

PS: you reply also got posted three times in the forum... someone has to fix this :-)

[]s, Fernando Lozano
                • 5. Re: SQL Developer with OpenJDK 6 on Windows
                  Gary Graham-Oracle
                  Hi Fernando,

That sounds like work. The few bugs I have seen that fall into this category were logged as 'internal', which often means we caught them before the production release and customers were not impacted.

For example, one such bug, logged against JDeveloper (from which SQL Developer gets its IDE framework), complains that a cascading style sheet could not be generated because its path/filename was too long for Windows XP. That got filed in Jan '07 and relates to this Sun/Java bug filed in Oct '04:

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6182812

Suffice to say these situations come up occasionally and even if a specific Java version is required to use our (free-of-charge) product, then at least the Java is also free-of-charge.

Cheers,
                  Gary
                  • 6. Re: SQL Developer with OpenJDK 6 on Windows
                    So SQL Developer should have no dependencies on Oracle JDK internals and should run fine against any Java 6 implementation. In theory it should be ok running it under an "unofficial" build of OpenJDK, or some other vendo JDK such as IBM. Am I corect?
                    • 7. Re: SQL Developer with OpenJDK 6 on Windows
                      Gary Graham-Oracle
                      Hi Fernando,

With OpenJDK the order of the day, I suppose any OpenJDK implementation provided through a partner/collaborator/contributor (Oracle, IBM, Apple, SAP and others(?)) for a specific OS platform would be considered 'official'. Presumably these implementations go through rigorous tests to certify their compliance with the Java language specification.

So in theory, yes, SQL Developer should run under any of these. Remember, the goal of "write once, run anywhere" was the reason so many businesses adopted Java in the first place. Anything getting in the way of that doctrine encounters resistance. For example, Microsoft once tried to make a proprietary JVM, but had to drop that as part of an out-of-court settlement with Sun. We actually expect, want, hope and pray that SQL Developer runs with each and every vendor's implementation. Fewer complaints that way!

In terms of something like Apache's Harmony project, I have no idea. IBM switched from that to OpenJDK, so perhaps OpenJDK is open enough for IBM but not Apache. This all seems very political, and well worth steering clear of.

As far as I am aware, development and QA for SQL Developer do their work on the Windows, Linux, and Mac OS platforms. Until recently, Sun provided the JDK implementation for Windows and Linux while Apple provided it for Mac OS. So, as a practical matter, if something in SQL Developer didn't work on those, we would find out about it in short order. Going forward, I imagine we will use the Oracle and Apple implementations, and would be very surprised if anyone on our team goes out of his/her way to test against other implementations. It is simply not feasible to test and certify each SQL Developer release with each JDK implementation.

If any 'dependencies on Oracle JDK internals' are present, I would think them accidental rather than intentional. Moreover, any such dependencies would most likely get caught before a production release if not also present in the Mac OS implementation.

Cheers,
                      Gary

Edited by: gggraham on Sep 21, 2011 2:21 PM