1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 30, 2011 5:29 AM by Andy Robson RSS

How to configure StorEdge 3510 as a SAN?

Hi all, just joined!

We've got a StorEdge 3510 set up as a DAS (private loop mode) connected to three servers. We've gone through hell and high water getting things configured (firmware upgrades were particularly troublesome), but now that we've got everything running, we're starting to think about future expansion. However, despite my experimentation, I can't work out how to set them up in a switched fabric.

We have a test 3510 set up as Point-to-Point, connected to an Emulex 355 FC switch. In Loop mode, the device shows up as a SCSI device, but I can't get Windows to see anything on the end of the HBA when it's in PTP. Half the time, the HBA won't even acknowledge a link.

I can't work out where to start with this. The switch, admittedly, came from Apple with an Xserve RAID, but we've had the 3510 plugged into it in Loop mode and visible, so I don't think there's any problem with Apple ROM-ing the switch.

I've tried Zoning the switch, and Smart-Setting the ports to be Switched Fabrics, but nothing seems to make the StorEdge visible to the host. I thought that the test box might be at fault initially, since it has a Dell-EMC FC HBA and it wouldn't surprise me if it's ROM'd to EMC boxes only, but it seems that another box with a generic QLogic card won't see the StorEdge either.

Full tech specs of the system:
      -3510 dual-controller, firmware 4.23A, 12 146GB 10K disks
      -Emulex 355 12-port FC SAN Switch
      -Dell PowerEdge 1850 with Emulex LP1050Ex-E PCI-E HBA
      -Dell PowerEdge 2850 with QLogic QLA210 PCI HBA
      -Windows Server 2003 x64

Any advice or starting points would be massively appreciated!
      Thanks,
      Rob
        • 1. Re: How to configure StorEdge 3510 as a SAN?
          Andy Robson
          You are right in changing the A3510 to point to point

sccli> sho host
          max-luns-per-id: 32
          queue-depth: 1024
          fibre-connection-mode: loop
          inband-management: enabled

To:

sccli> sho host
          max-luns-per-id: 32
          queue-depth: 1024
          fibre-connection-mode: point-to-point
          inband-management: enabled

The 3510 is now configured to work in a SAN.

In loop mode you will see the enclosure as an ses device. In point to point you won't, you will just see the available LUNs.

In P2P you should see all your configured logical volumes or disks with there WWN names on the hosts side

sccli> show logical
          LD LD-ID Size Assigned Type Disks Spare Failed Status
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          ld0 5E714957 545.91GB Primary RAID5 5 2 0 Good
          Write-Policy Default StripeSize 128KB
          ld1 1F4ABC1D 545.91GB Secondary RAID5 5 2 0 Good
          Write-Policy Default StripeSize 128KB

with
          Serial Number: 07FE18

You should see something like (these names are taken from a Solaris luxadm probe)

Node WWN:206000c0ff07fe18 Device Type:Disk device
          Logical Path:/dev/rdsk/c7t600C0FF00000000007FE181F4ABC1D00d0s2
          Node WWN:206000c0ff07fe18 Device Type:Disk device
          Logical Path:/dev/rdsk/c7t600C0FF00000000007FE185E71495700d0s2

I don't have any clue how this would show up under windows. Putting a fabric on your switch should make things more tidy, but shouldn't fundamentally change anything.