2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2011 12:32 AM by 887433 RSS

problem viewing local html page containing applet!

I have the following requisite three files in a local directory "C:\Users\thomas\Documents\vinu\hyperdyn\src\":

When I double click the html file to launch it, the applet fails to load and the Java console prints the following error message:

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_26
      Using JRE version 1.6.0_26-b03 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
      User home directory = C:\Users\thomas
      c: clear console window
      f: finalize objects on finalization queue
      g: garbage collect
      h: display this help message
      l: dump classloader list
      m: print memory usage
      o: trigger logging
      q: hide console
      r: reload policy configuration
      s: dump system and deployment properties
      t: dump thread list
      v: dump thread stack
      x: clear classloader cache
      0-5: set trace level to <n>

MissingFieldException[ The following required field is missing from the launch file: <jnlp><applet-desc>width]
           at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLUtils.getRequiredIntAttribute(Unknown Source)
           at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLFormat.buildAppletDesc(Unknown Source)
           at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLFormat.parse(Unknown Source)
           at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
           at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
           at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptorFromCache(Unknown Source)
           at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptorFromCache(Unknown Source)
           at sun.plugin2.applet.JNLP2Manager.initialize(Unknown Source)
           at sun.plugin2.main.client.PluginMain.initManager(Unknown Source)
           at sun.plugin2.main.client.PluginMain.access$300(Unknown Source)
           at sun.plugin2.main.client.PluginMain$2.run(Unknown Source)
           at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
      Error while initializing manager: MissingFieldException[ The following required field is missing from the launch file: <jnlp><applet-desc>width], bail out

The strange thing is that I do have the height and width parameters specified in the jnlp file:

The stranger thing is that if I modify the path to the local directory, for example, add a dash to make it "C:\Users\thomas\Documents\vinu\hyperdyn\src-\", then the applet launches without any error! I am working on Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1. Any insights anyone may have will be greatly appreciated.