This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 Previous Next 47 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2011 9:29 AM by Patrick Wolf RSS

4.1 POST_LOGIN question

Jozis Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello friends,

In my applications i have created custom login page. The purpose was to show more meaningful error messages if the authentication failed, like "Account locked" or "Account expired" ...
On login page I call my own authentication function. Depeding or the result the appropriate message is shown. If the authentication is successful - I call APEX_CUSTOM_AUTH.POST_LOGIN which registers the session.

It all worked well unitl I upgraded to Apex 4.1. Now POST_LOGIN keeps throwing that "Invalid login credentials" message. It looks that functionality of POST_LOGIN has been changed in 4.1.

Is there another way how to display custom messages if login was unsuccessful?

Thank you
Janis
  • 1. Re: 4.1 POST_LOGIN question
    Arie Geller Guru
    Hello Janis,

>> It looks that functionality of POST_LOGIN has been changed in 4.1.

As far as I can tell, there isn’t any documentation regarding such a change in behavior. As POST_LOGIN is a documented procedure, the development team is also committed to maintain backward compatibility. Therefore, I’m guessing that functionality change is not your problem.

I would try to create a simple new application, under the 4.1 instance, that uses the same custom authentication as the upgraded application, and see if the problem repeats itself.

Regards,
    Arie.

-------------------------------------------------------
    ♦ Please remember to mark appropriate posts as correct/helpful. For the long run, it will benefit us all.

♦ Author of Oracle Application Express 3.2 – The Essentials and More
  • 2. Re: 4.1 POST_LOGIN question
    Jozis Newbie
    Thank you Arie.
  • 3. Re: 4.1 POST_LOGIN question
    mobra Journeyer
    It all worked well unitl I upgraded to Apex 4.1. Now POST_LOGIN keeps throwing that "Invalid login credentials" message. It looks that functionality of POST_LOGIN has been changed in 4.1.
    I am seeing the same thing... I am developing on an Apex 4.0 instance, and deploying to an Apex 4.1 (runtime-only) instance.

In Apex 4.0 I am able to call APEX_CUSTOM_AUTH.POST_LOGIN and pass anything (some value, or null, does not matter) as the password parameter, and the Authentication Function defined in the authentication scheme does not seem to be called. This is actually desired behavior for me, as I simply want to "auto-login" a specific user without knowing the actual password. (I do not call APEX_CUSTOM_AUTH.LOGIN at all.)

When the same application is deployed to the Apex 4.1 instance, the "Invalid Login Credentials" message is thrown, whereas in Apex 4.0 it succeeds, as described above.

Hopefully someone from the Apex dev team can tell us what has changed, and how to deal with it...

- Morten

http://ora-00001.blogspot.com
  • 4. Re: 4.1 POST_LOGIN question
    Andyindo Newbie
    I think this is the same problem I'm having.
  • 5. Re: 4.1 POST_LOGIN question
    Jozis Newbie
    Should it be reported as a bug?
  • 6. Re: 4.1 POST_LOGIN question
    Andyindo Newbie
    Possibly. I cant get my program to work and there was no problem before the upgrade to 4.1
  • 7. Re: 4.1 POST_LOGIN question
    mobra Journeyer
    Hopefully someone from the Apex dev team can tell us what has changed, and how to deal with it...
    Bump.

- Morten

• 8. Re: 4.1 POST_LOGIN question
    Vite DBA Pro
    Hi,

as Apex is a supported product, if you've got a support contract for a database license, you could log a service request and push through what looks like a bug there. This will get a better response than waiting for someone to pick up the issue from a voluntary forum.

Andre
  • 9. Re: 4.1 POST_LOGIN question
    mobra Journeyer
    as Apex is a supported product, if you've got a support contract for a database license, you could log a service request and push through what looks like a bug there. This will get a better response than waiting for someone to pick up the issue from a voluntary forum.
    That's true, but as you probably also know, the Apex team frequently visit this forum and respond to posts, especially about bugs and potential bugs.

And since we are at least three people having the same problem, it's more useful to have this discussion in an open forum so that anyone can find it (also via Google), instead of "hiding" the issue/solution behind the MOS login.

- Morten

• 10. Re: 4.1 POST_LOGIN question
    Patrick Wolf Employee ACE
    Hi guys,

I'm currently on my way home from a business trip. I will have a look at the issue when I'm in the office next week and respond as soon as I know more.

Regards
    Patrick
  • 11. Re: 4.1 POST_LOGIN question
    VANJ Journeyer
    I can confirm this behaviour on apex.oracle.com, click on http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=24317:500 The app uses a custom page sentry based auth. scheme which sets the authenticated user to your IP address (CGI variable REMOTE_ADDR) and it used to work fine on 4.0 but after the upgrade to 4.1, the page shows the Invalid Login Credentials message the first time only, subsequent navigation works fine. I recall bringing this issue to the Apex team's attention numerous times during the public beta stage and was advised that it was fixed (not so, it was easily reproducible). I lost track of the issue and assumed that the GA release would have fixed it, I am surprised that it is still there.
  • 12. Re: 4.1 POST_LOGIN question
    Edwin van Meerendonk Explorer
    Same problem here.
    I filed a service request on metalink

Edited by: emoracle on Sep 26, 2011 12:39 PM
  • 13. Re: 4.1 POST_LOGIN question
    442122 Newbie
    Hi Patrick,

This is an urgent message!

We have migrated our development environment from 3.1 to 4.1 and with some applications are now issuing the same problem.

Can you confirm when this problem will be resolved because we have a tidy release-schedule.

Thank you,

Jos
  • 14. Re: 4.1 POST_LOGIN question
    Edwin van Meerendonk Explorer
    I did some fiddling, maybe a workaround for some of you guys.

Create a new authentification scheme, scheme type Custom

in the Authentication Function Name put a function that, given the username and password gives a boolean back.

(Perhaps a doubling of your 101-login code, perhaps a replacement. it's up to you.)

I left everthing else the default.

Make this scheme the current and things should be working again.

(at least, it did in our environment).

It's a workaround. I keep the SR with oracle open because I still thing it's a bug.
1 2 3 4 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points