This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2011 5:28 AM by Zoltan Kecskemethy RSS

NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS settings

875561 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Need a suggestion on below scenario.

We are going to create a new database ( 11g ) having AL32UTF8 as database character set and AL32UTF16 as national character set. Some of the tables columns ( less than 25) might need to store chinese or japanese characters. What is the approach we need to follow for NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS settings.

Option 1 : set NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS to CHAR at DB Level.

Option 2: Leave NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS as oracle default ( i.e BYTE) and while defining DDL for those tables mention the respective columns with CHAR semantics i.e varchar2(20 CHAR) etc.

Which option is better.

Regards,
vara.
  • 1. Re: NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS settings
    875561 Newbie
    in continuation to the above, what are the disadvantages if we set NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS to CHAR at db level.
  • 2. Re: NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS settings
    19426 Guru
    NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS should not be set database-wide, from the reference manual:

/*
    Caution:

Oracle strongly recommends that you do NOT set the NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS parameter to CHAR in the instance or server parameter file. This may cause many existing installation scripts to unexpectedly create columns with character length semantics, resulting in runtime errors, including buffer overflows.

*/

Installation-,patch-,upgrade scripts , which create/change data dictionary objects would lead to unintentional columns with character length semantics.

Werner
  • 3. Re: NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS settings
    Zoltan Kecskemethy Expert
    see MOS Doc please
    Examples and limits of BYTE and CHAR semantics usage (NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS) [ID 144808.1]

Do not change this parameter in db level even if NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS does not apply to tables in SYS and SYSTEM schema. (The data dictionary always uses byte semantics.)

It is always easier to include an alter session command before table creation in scripts if you dont want to use varchar2(20 CHAR) syntax ...
    But IMHO the best is to use (20 CHAR) precision in scripts to highlight that you use char semantics.

also check the following MOS doc for open bugs/issues about this parameter
    Init.ora Parameter "NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS" Reference Note [ID 153365.1]

Edited by: Kecskemethy on Sep 16, 2011 5:21 AM
  • 4. Re: NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS settings
    Sergiusz Wolicki (Oracle) Expert
    I am confirming the above answers. Use option 2.

Also, a common mistake, originating from incorrect documentation, is to say that NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS does not apply to tables in SYS and SYSTEM schema. This is true for the SYS schema only. SYSTEM schema does use the parameter.

-- Sergiusz
  • 5. Re: NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS settings
    Zoltan Kecskemethy Expert
    Thank you for correcting me. Fixed my previous comment.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points