5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2011 10:14 AM by Udo

installation problem apex listener

Sajjad
      Hi,

I am trying to install apex listener. But at I am stuck up. How the following command to be executed and where. in CMD or anywhere else.

jar –cvf0 <temp directory>\i.war –C <apex directory>\images .

Wind XP
      Database 11g
      apex 3.1

Thanks
      Sajjad

Edited by: Sajjad on Sep 17, 2011 2:11 AM
        • 1. Re: installation problem apex listener
          Udo
          Hi Sajjad,
          jar –cvf0 <temp directory>\i.war –C <apex directory>\images .
          This command is only needed to deploy the images onto a JEE container that has no (default) context to serve static contents, e.g. the WebLogic Server as named in the Installation Guide. For other JEE containers including the embedded Grizzly used in Standalone Mode, you don't need to do this.

Anyway, you probably have Java installed on your XP, so the jar can usually be executed from anywhere, as it will be in your search path.
          The command creates a web archive called i.war for deployment on your JEE container, so you'll have a context for the APEX images. You need the APEX installation package to have these images, in your case it would be the package for APEX 3.1 . You can download it [url http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex/3-098191.html]here . Note that there have been patch-releases for APEX, and you should pick the package matching the exact version you have in your APEX instance.
          Inside of the unzipped APEX installation package, there is a directory named images. The path to this directory is referred to as +<apex directory>\images+ .

-Udo
          • 2. Re: installation problem apex listener
            Sajjad
            Hi Udo,

Thank you for providing detail. My problem is I can't be able to run this command on command prompt.

Giving message " Unable to find file or folder".

Thanks

Sajjad
            • 3. Re: installation problem apex listener
              Udo
              Hi Sajjad,
              Giving message " Unable to find file or folder".
              But you have a JDK on your machine, right? Possibly it's not in your search path, so you'd have to either change to its location or give the full pathname in front, e.g.
              %PROGRAMFILES%\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\bin\jar -cvf0 <temp directory>\i.war -C <apex directory>\images .
              where *%PROGRAMFILES%* is a Windows variable. Change the Path to the JDK installed on your machine, and of course the parameter +<temp directory>+ to be the path where you want the i.war to be created and +<apex directory>+ to be the path were you have unzipped your APEX installation package, which includes the images directory.

-Udo
              • 4. Re: installation problem apex listener
                Sajjad
                Hi, Udo

I ran the command and following error has occurred,
                F:\program files\java\jre6\bin\java.exe -cvf0 -c:\downloads\software\apex_listener.1.1.3.243.11.40\i.war -e:\app\sajjad\product\11.1.0\db_1\apex\images .

Unrecognixed option: -cvf0
                COuld not create the Java virtual machine.
                • 5. Re: installation problem apex listener
                  Udo
                  Hi Sajjad,

it's jar insted of java.

-Udo

P.S.: Do you really want to deploy onto a JEE container? Until now everything still looks like you are trying to run in standalone mode. As mentioned before, the i.war is not needed in that case. Just give the APEX Listener your images-directory (seems to be e:\app\sajjad\product\11.1.0\db_1\apex\images ) upon startup when asked for it.
                  Note that you have another error in your parameters for the i.war (just in case you actually want to create it): There is no "-" in front of the path parameters, but a *"-C "* before the images path.

Edited by: Udo on 27.09.2011 12:09