This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2011 4:00 AM by 597001 RSS

Oracle MDM (Master Data Management) vs. EBS

759762 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I have a question regarding Oracle Master Data Management. Is this a separate peace of software or is it a part/module/application within the EBS.

I need to know if I can control MDM data through the EBS. Meaning that I have an integration to the EBS where I can call APIs (PL/SQLs...) from an external system. Now, is it possible to transfer data to the MDM THROUGH EBS APIs or not?

Or is the MDM completely separate with its own date model/schema and its own APIs?

Many thanks,
Konrad
  • 1. Re: Oracle MDM (Master Data Management) vs. EBS
    893596 Newbie
    Oracle PIM/PDH is a module in EBS. But depending on the MDM approach, your instance strategy can be different .Ideally it is recomended to have to have a separate instance for Oracle PIM/HUB. If you are using the PIM/PDH within the single EBS instance it is recomended not to use the item master from the inventory module.

In case of separate instance there are PIPs availables to integrate PIM to EBS.

Hope this help

Thanks,
    Biswa
  • 2. Re: Oracle MDM (Master Data Management) vs. EBS
    759762 Newbie
    Thanks!
  • 3. Re: Oracle MDM (Master Data Management) vs. EBS
    597001 Journeyer
    you are planning to implement Oracle CDH, there are three main instance strategy options are available

*1. EBS as Hub to 3rd Party Systems*
    Pros
    Existing customer data is migrated one time from 3rd party systems and is continually kept in sync.
    In line with the single-global-instance vision, thereby lowering costs and increasing benefits.
    Allows implementing organizations to sunset any legacy application at any time.
    All customer data resides in operational, transactional E-Business Suite. Therefore, customer information is actionable in real-time.
    Cons
    Potentially longer initial implementation timeframe given more complexities in maintaining single source of customer truth within the operational data system.

*2. Customer Data Hub Integrated with EBS and 3rd Party Systems*
    Pros
    Shorter initial implementation timeframe given less complexities in maintaining the CDH separate from operational systems.
    Minimal risk of adversely impacting customer data which could impede business and transactional processes.
    Allows implementing organizations to migrate to the single instance model at their own pace, while still taking advantage of a single source of customer reality.
    Allows implementing organizations to patch the CDH with latest functionality without risk of impacting the existing E-Business Suite footprint.
    Cons
    Additional spoke system created with this model, rather than reduction of systems. Therefore, additional integration development is required.
    Customer data migrated to Customer Data Hub initially, and then a second effort is required to sync the Customer Data Hub with the E-Business Suite when consolidation occurs in the future.

*3. Customer Data Hub with no EBS*
    Pros
    Allows implementing organizations to begin realizing the value of the E-Business Suite functionality, even before they have the E-Business Suite up and running.
    Allows implementing organizations to plug in pieces of the E-Business Suite at their own pace, or keep legacy systems living on if migrating to the E-Business Suite is not an option.
    Provides an easy migration path to single global instance vision.
    Cons
    Continued costs (IT and personnel) associated with maintaining disparate systems, with different technologies and platforms.

Hope the above helps.
    Regards,
    ND

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points