5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2011 8:59 AM by user588235 RSS

Oracle 11gR2/ASM on Windows Server 2008

user588235
      Ok, hopefully this isn't too dumb of a situation.

I have installed Oracle 9, 10 and 11 using NTSF plenty of times. However, now I need to install Oracle 11gR2 using ASM (as a single database instance). And to do that I need to install the Grid Infrastructure.

This is the environment:
      - Windows Server 2008 (64 bits) running under VMWare
      - Oracle 11gR2
      - One 40gig NTFS partition, one 40 gig Raw partition
      - The Raw partition has a logical drive set up (no drive letter assigned)
      - I have signed on with an account that has administrator privileges

Now, I've been trying to follow through the various install documents (mostly relying on section 3 of the installation guide) and I seem to be getting lost. (Many of the instructions seem to be for for Linux, or for clusters, etc.) Here's the problems I'm running in to:

- The Oracle installation guide suggests beginning with 'setup.exe -downloadUpdates'. Ok, makes sense, but when I execute that it doesn't actually start the install process, although it does show a "preparing to launch installer" screen that later disappears. (Is it supposed to actually launch the installer?, or does it just download patches into the setup directory?)
      - If I run setup.exe again (no 'downloadupdates' flag) the installer does launch. However there is nowhere on any of the screens regarding 'download software updates' (as the installation guide says)
      - On the installation screen the guide says I should see 'configure oracle grid infrastructure for a standalone server', but I don't see that screen anywhere

Does anyone have any idea why I'm not seeing what the guide suggests I should be seeing? Is there something special I have to do with my user account? Do I have to 'stamp' the raw partition as ASM first, and if so how do I do that without first installing the software? Or do I have something set up incorrectly with the network?

Alternatively, does anyone know of any decent step-by-step instruction guides for setting up ASM in my circumstances?

Thanks in advance for any help.
      (Note: I had originally started the thread in the Installation forum but closed that thread and moved it here.)
        • 1. Re: Oracle 11gR2/ASM on Windows Server 2008
          Sebastian Solbach -Dba Community-Oracle
          Have you looked in the RAC Starterkits on mysupport.
          I know it is for RAC, but it should give you a generall guideline.

Stupid question: You are using the grid infrastructure install DVD/download? Also you downloaded 11.2.0.2 (can be directly installed) from mysupport, not 11.2.0.1 right?

11.2.0.1 did not have the "update" screen and no "upgrade" option.

These problems are not yet connected to the disks. They will come later in the installer.
          => You need to create an extended partition on the RAW disk (you probably have to use the command line interface for it, since windows 2008 removed that option in the GUI).
          => You can use asmtoolg to stamp the disks - however I believe the installer gives you this option.

Regards
          Sebastian
          • 2. Re: Oracle 11gR2/ASM on Windows Server 2008
            Jrstern-Oracle
            Thanks for posting this feedback for the documentation. I will look into your questions and see if I can get you some answers. However, it would really help to know which version of the Oracle software you are trying to install and which version of the documentation you are using. Are you installing 11.2.0.1 or 11.2.0.2? Also, what is the part number of the installation guide you reference?

Thanks,
            Janet
            • 3. Re: Oracle 11gR2/ASM on Windows Server 2008
              Jrstern-Oracle
              but when I execute that it doesn't actually start the install process, although it does show a "preparing to launch installer" screen that later disappears. (Is it supposed to actually launch the installer?
              I ran into this problem once when using the installer on windows. What was happening was that the installer was exiting, but not posting an error. Check the system logs to see if there are any events posted there related to OUI. Also, check the installation log files under Program Files > Oracle > Inventory > logs

The download software updates option might depend on the version of Oracle you are installing. For example, 11.2.0.1 vs. 11.2.0.2. I don't think I ran into this feature when installing 11.2.0.1, but I remember seeing it (and not being able to get past it because of not having a valid My Oracle Support login) for 11.2.0.2.

As for configuring the disks to be used with ASM, I would suggest you follow the instructions here: [ http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e18029/storage.htm#CHDGGCAE|http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e18029/storage.htm#CHDGGCAE] I wrote and tested these instructions, so if there is a problem with them, please let me know. If you are using Oracle Restart instead of Oracle Grid Infrastructure, then wherever it says Grid_home, just use the Oracle_home instead. But, basically, you need to use either asmtoolg (GUI) or asmtool (CLI) to stamp the disk partition, so it will be recognized by OUI and ASM.
              • 4. Re: Oracle 11gR2/ASM on Windows Server 2008
                Jrstern-Oracle
                Oh, forgot to answer one question: how do I do that without first installing the software?

you should be able to access the asmtoolg or asmtool utility from the installation media (or the directory that contains the unzipped installation files). If you did download the software as ZIP files, make sure you have ALL the ZIP files. I think you need at least 3: 2 for the DB software, 1 for Grid/ASM.

Cheers,
                Janet
                • 5. Re: Oracle 11gR2/ASM on Windows Server 2008
                  user588235
                  Sorry for the delay in posting this, but I want to thank everyone for their assistance. I finally have everything up and running.